Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Comparison To Competition

Comparison To Competition

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » January 31st, 2012, 2:33 pm

*******UPDATED******** Added Adam Jones

I figured I would compile these threads into one.
These are not exact science, and as pointed out in the Markakis thread, some of their competition also played other positions. But for the most part, these are all close enough to get a basic understanding of where they fall.

JJ Hardy: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=609

Mark Reynolds: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=565

Matt Wieters: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=595

Nick Markakis: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=568

Adam Jones: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=716
Last edited by Tucker Blair on February 1st, 2012, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Comparison To Competition

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » February 1st, 2012, 2:10 pm

Not to mess up your program or anything but I would be looking to move Markakis for salary relief and/or prospects. He is nothing more than a slightly above average league RF and one who is beginnng to break down. We made the same mistake with Roberts. Let's not repeat history 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 1st, 2012, 3:44 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Not to mess up your program or anything but I would be looking to move Markakis for salary relief and/or prospects. He is nothing more than a slightly above average league RF and one who is beginnng to break down. We made the same mistake with Roberts. Let's not repeat history 8-)

I would agree with that idea IF Nolan Reimold shows he can hit ML pitching and stay healthy this season. He was brought through the system as a RFer and seems more comfortable there. The other thing is we need to allow Markakis to have a bounce back season. Let him put up his 2009 numbers and watch his value go through the roof.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Matt P » February 1st, 2012, 6:42 pm

Hardy - Top 5 SS
Wieters - Top 3 C
Reynolds - Top 10 3B
Markakis - Top 10 RF

Just my opinion
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by steward147 » July 22nd, 2012, 11:17 pm

some of their competition also played other positions. But for the most part, these are all close enough to get a basic understanding of where they fall.
"steward"
steward147
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » July 22nd, 2012, 11:47 pm

talk about a blast from the past bump here haha
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #7 by dan72 » July 23rd, 2012, 10:36 am

The only problem with this comparison is that we are looking at 2011 stats. Reynolds and Hardy have taken major steps back this year. How much better would our record be if these 2 guys were on track to match their respective career averages???

Reynolds will move on next year and he will most likely return to his career average numbers, 30+ home runs......
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » July 23rd, 2012, 12:10 pm

I don't think it's a slam dunk that Reynolds moves on next year. He comes at a fairly affordable price and players in their walk years usually put up good numbers. He could easily bounce back and hit 40 HRs and if he does I would like for it to be in Baltimore. I would love to move Markakis but I don't think his contract is moveable. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by thezeroes » July 24th, 2012, 5:13 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote: I would love to move Markakis but I don't think his contract is movable. Just my two cents 8-)

Why??? What has Nick Markakis not done that would make you want to move him???
He is not a Home Run Hitter but will give you a lot of doubles. He plays an above average right field. He gets on base at a better than average rate. I would keep him for the cost. Just my Two Cents.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

Return to Baltimore Orioles