Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Orioles close to signing Taiwanese LHP Wei-Yin Chen"

Re: "Orioles close to signing Taiwanese LHP Wei-Yin Chen"

PostPost #16 by Tucker Blair » January 9th, 2012, 12:25 pm

ofahn wrote:I'm beginning to become optimistic that DD will be a serious player when the Cubans become available.

I hope so. I think they are certainly interested, but Cespedes and Soler are a different breed of international talent. I would assume they have 3-7 more teams interest in them then what Chen had
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » January 9th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Reportedly a guaranteed 3 year deal.

I will assume that 3 guaranteed years is what got the deal done. O's probably didnt want to go 3 but ended up having to.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #18 by Tucker Blair » January 9th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Now hearing #Orioles will pay LHP Chen Wei-yin less than $12M total over 3 yrs in deal once physical is passed. Roughly $4M or less per yr

per Connolly

Rouglhy $4MM or less? That seems almost like a steal now. Tough to say until truly see Chen pitch but count me as impressed.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #19 by ofahn » January 9th, 2012, 1:36 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Rouglhy $4MM or less? That seems almost like a steal now. Tough to say until truly see Chen pitch but count me as impressed.

You have to wonder if DD's connections in Asia gave him an insight that other teams didn't have. If so, it's about BLINKEN time we get a leg up on everyone else.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by ofahn » January 9th, 2012, 1:38 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I will assume that 3 guaranteed years is what got the deal done. O's probably didnt want to go 3 but ended up having to.

The third year might have been the "pathetic tax" that we're going to have to pay for a while until we return to respectability.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Tucker Blair » January 9th, 2012, 1:38 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Rouglhy $4MM or less? That seems almost like a steal now. Tough to say until truly see Chen pitch but count me as impressed.

You have to wonder if DD's connections in Asia gave him an insight that other teams didn't have. If so, it's about BLINKEN time we get a leg up on everyone else.

there is a rumor that Ray Poitevint (big time international scout) is helping the Orioles out and could be a big reason for out international progress so far this off-season.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #22 by ofahn » January 9th, 2012, 1:47 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
ofahn wrote:I'm beginning to become optimistic that DD will be a serious player when the Cubans become available.

I hope so. I think they are certainly interested, but Cespedes and Soler are a different breed of international talent. I would assume they have 3-7 more teams interest in them then what Chen had

To sign some of those players we may have to pay a premium of 10 - 15% extra as a "pathetic tax". While it galls me to think that's the case, I would pay the extra to add talent that doesn't require spending players or prospects. The farm system has been neglected for so long that the bill has come due and it will take your breath away.

I don't know whether PA would have ever approved 60M for Edwin Jackson, but wouldn't it be nice if he were to give that money to DD and allow him to use it this winter to sign MORE international talent? We MIGHT (MIGHT ) be able to add Cespedes, Soler and three or four advanced Cuban pitchers that would make the upper levels of our farm system look a whole lot different. Cue Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by osforlife » January 9th, 2012, 3:17 pm

What does this mean for Hunter? Trip to AAA or swing man?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #24 by Tucker Blair » January 9th, 2012, 3:24 pm

osforlife wrote:What does this mean for Hunter? Trip to AAA or swing man?

I think he has a very good chance to make the rotation still.

Potential SP candidates now: Guthrie, Chen, Wada, Hunter, Britton, Matusz, Arrieta, Bergesen, Tillman, Eveland, JJ, Simon.

I think Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz either make the rotation or head to AAA.
Eveland, Hunter , Wada, and Simon either make the rotation or are in the bullpen.

But I think Hunter has just as good a chance to lock up a spot as anyone. He already has ML experience too, so Buck may feel more comfortable going with him anyways
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #25 by osforlife » January 9th, 2012, 3:35 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:

I think he has a very good chance to make the rotation still.

Potential SP candidates now: Guthrie, Chen, Wada, Hunter, Britton, Matusz, Arrieta, Bergesen, Tillman, Eveland, JJ, Simon.

I think Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz either make the rotation or head to AAA.
Eveland, Hunter , Wada, and Simon either make the rotation or are in the bullpen.

But I think Hunter has just as good a chance to lock up a spot as anyone. He already has ML experience too, so Buck may feel more comfortable going with him anyways

Yes I was reading from Rock Kubatko on Masnsports.com that Hunter figures to be included in the rotation and Wada will more likely be pushed to the bullpen.
Rotation: Guthrie, Chen, Hunter, Britton, Arrieta
Bullpen: Johnson, Strop, Simon, O'Day, Gregg, Patton, Wada
AAA Rotation: Eveland, Tillman, Bergy, Matusz, Berken/Vandenhurk
depth, and lots of it
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » January 9th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Lot of questions still on this signing: how good is Chen?? Does his curveball translate well to MLB?? Can this guy adjust to America?? If these Asians work out, I think we've thankfully seen the last of TIllman and Bergesen 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #27 by birdwatcher55 » January 9th, 2012, 3:52 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Matt P wrote:Hopefully, we can refer to him as Ace.

I like your thinking. At this point, I'll take referring to him as #3

Seems like we have a half dozen of those types and no real "ace" on this roster. It's been a ten year problem really since Mussina left 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #28 by ofahn » January 9th, 2012, 4:08 pm

I think that depends on how long Guthrie is still on the team. I see the team expecting Hunter, Arrieta, and Britton to start the season as SP. That leaves Guthrie, Wada, and Chen to fill two spots. Do the math.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Tucker Blair » January 9th, 2012, 4:12 pm

ofahn wrote:

I think that depends on how long Guthrie is still on the team. I see the team expecting Hunter, Arrieta, and Britton to start the season as SP. That leaves Guthrie, Wada, and Chen to fill two spots. Do the math.

Im with you on that. Although I think Arrieta, Britton and Tillman still need to "earn" spots. But if someone held a gun to my head and said to guess the rotation I would say:

Guthrie, Chen, Britton, Hunter, Arrieta.

I think Matusz might be put in AAA by default but he could easily take a spot with a great spring training. Also you never know what happens on the injury front. The good thing about this season is that we finally have a little depth.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #30 by Matt P » January 10th, 2012, 12:52 am

From everything I've read on Wada it seems like they promised him he will be a starter. It will look really bad if we did indeed promise him that and then stick him in the bullpen to start the season. If they did promise him a chance to start I think you have to give him that chance to start the season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles