Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

Brian Roberts
0
No votes
Brian Matusz
6
75%
Brad Bergesen
2
25%
Kevin Gregg
0
No votes
Chris Tillman
0
No votes
Someone else
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 8

Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » January 6th, 2012, 11:37 pm

About a month ago Tucker Blair asked which player would be the most improved in 2012. I'd like your opinion on which player will come back from an off year in 2011?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 6th, 2012, 11:48 pm

I went with Matusz. If his velocity returns in spring training I'm confident he'll have a bounce back year.

The Orioles could really use the 2009 Brad Bergesen more than anything. A 4 ERA/FIP guy who's cheap and can throw 200 innings is exactly what they need now.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #3 by ofahn » January 6th, 2012, 11:52 pm

Jordan wrote:I went with Matusz.


I went with Matusz too but in September I'll SWEAR that I picked Bergesen when surprises all of us.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » January 7th, 2012, 8:18 am

I don't like any of the options but I voted Matusz
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 7th, 2012, 8:53 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I don't like any of the options but I voted Matusz


Whom would you pick instead?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » January 7th, 2012, 9:21 am

I picked bergy. I wanted to vote Matusz but I had a gut feeling at the last second. A couple days ago I had a dream where the orioles signed Bergesen to a 2 year extension. So that's why I chose him. A stupid reason of course , but whatever haha. I would assume Matusz is primed for a bounce back though
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 7th, 2012, 9:52 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I picked bergy. I wanted to vote Matusz but I had a gut feeling at the last second. A couple days ago I had a dream where the orioles signed Bergesen to a 2 year extension. So that's why I chose him. A stupid reason of course , but whatever haha. I would assume Matusz is primed for a bounce back though


Wouldn't it be great if we had to argue in October which pitcher had the better year? Because they both did?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » January 7th, 2012, 11:11 am

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:I picked bergy. I wanted to vote Matusz but I had a gut feeling at the last second. A couple days ago I had a dream where the orioles signed Bergesen to a 2 year extension. So that's why I chose him. A stupid reason of course , but whatever haha. I would assume Matusz is primed for a bounce back though


Wouldn't it be great if we had to argue in October which pitcher had the better year? Because they both did?
it would certainly be a good turn of events.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #9 by osforlife » January 7th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Is Marakis an option to return to his '08/'09 form?
I don't like any of the options. I'm not picking Matusz, Bergy, or Tillman because most likely they'll be in the minors for the majority of the year.
Gregg will still have a very high whip even if he does pitch ''well'' like he did before he came here.
Roberts situation is still way up in the air.
Luke Scott would be an intriguing option if he comes back.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » January 7th, 2012, 12:06 pm

osforlife wrote:Is Marakis an option to return to his '08/'09 form?
I don't like any of the options. I'm not picking Matusz, Bergy, or Tillman because most likely they'll be in the minors for the majority of the year.
Gregg will still have a very high whip even if he does pitch ''well'' like he did before he came here.
Roberts situation is still way up in the air.
Luke Scott would be an intriguing option if he comes back.
I think markakis is certainly an option. Also I think bergy has the long reliever role if he gets beaten out for the rotation. Just a hunch. If Matusz pitches well they won't hold him out of the rotation either. Tillman, i am not sure how they really view him
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #11 by osforlife » January 7th, 2012, 12:22 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote: Also I think bergy has the long reliever role if he gets beaten out for the rotation. Just a hunch. If Matusz pitches well they won't hold him out of the rotation either.


I see the rotation being Guthrie, Wada, Hunter, Britton, Arrieta.
I see the bullpen being Johnson, Strop, Simon, O'Day, Gregg, Patton, Phillips.
Patton is the long relief I'm guessing. Then we have a defintite inning eater in Guthrie, a supposed inning eater in Wada(we'll just have to wait and see), and a young inning eater in Hunter. So we have 3 people who can possible throw 200 innings and then 2 pitchers who we can get a mixed bag of results from in Britton and Arrieta. I think we can afford to carry Phillips as "a little bit more than a LOOGY" instead of another long relief in Bergy, Eveland, Vandenhurk, Berken.
I don't think Matusz will get even close to a rotation spot in ST unless he pitches to a 0 ERA(a little bit exhagerrated of course, but you get the point) After the season Matusz had last year, he needs to regain whatever confidence he has left and work out any mechanical problems he has in the minors.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #12 by Matt P » January 7th, 2012, 3:42 pm

I'd say Matusz just based on how terrible he was last year. Even if he pitches to around a 5.00 ERA that is still much better than last year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #13 by ofahn » January 7th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Matt P wrote:I'd say Matusz just based on how terrible he was last year. Even if he pitches to around a 5.00 ERA that is still much better than last year.


If THAT'S our best comeback performance we'll have had a pretty rough year.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Who Is Your Orioles Comeback Player For 2012?

PostPost #14 by Matt P » January 8th, 2012, 3:43 pm

I agree but I see that as the most likely. I mean, a 5.00 ERA for him and he will have done better than cut his ERA in half as sad as that is.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron