Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles, Cubs Discussed Soriano...again

Orioles, Cubs Discussed Soriano...again

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » January 6th, 2012, 11:01 am

http://orioles-nation.com/blogs/baltimo ... o-soriano/
The Orioles and Cubs discussed a trade involving OF Alfonso Soriano, according to Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports. Soriano has been known as a potential trade candidate for months, and there were rumors that the Orioles and Cubs had discussed a trade involving him before.

At least eight AL teams have discussed Soriano over the past six weeks, according to ESPNChicago.com. He is largely viewed as a DH, due to his defensive liability in LF. The Cubs also owe Soriano $54MM over the next 3 years, making it a necessity for them to eat a large portion of his contract in any potential deal.

Soriano, 36 on Saturday, posted a .244/.289/.469 batting line with a .325 wOBA, .266 BABIP, and 26 HR for the Cubs in 2011. His OPS+ in 2011 was only 104, which was well below the OPS+ of current Orioles’ Nick Markakis (109 OPS+), Adam Jones (114 OPS+) and Nolan Reimold (113 OPS+).

It would be a curious move for the Orioles if they did follow through with a potential deal. They already have five OF on their current projected 25-man roster (Nick Markakis, Adam Jones, Nolan Reimold, Endy Chavez, Jai Miller), and one could argue that he is nothing more than an average player at this point in his career.

I think the last two paragraphs explain everything that needs to be known. This would be a really stupid move for the Orioles if it happened. Luckily as of now it is just a rumor.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Orioles, Cubs Discussed Soriano...again

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 6th, 2012, 11:48 am

I'd have to think hard about taking Soriano on a ONE year commitment, much less THREE years, regardless of the price.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » January 6th, 2012, 11:54 am

ofahn wrote:I'd have to think hard about taking Soriano on a ONE year commitment, much less THREE years, regardless of the price.

I agree. We could get Soriano for practically nothing, but the commitment of 3 years alone makes this a laughable move. That is not even counting the fact that the Orioles have no need for him at all, and actually have better pieces on the club already.

I would honestly rather see Jai Miller, Reimold, and Endy Chavez get playing time over bringing Soriano in. Hell, give me 400 AB of Matt Angle over Soriano.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » January 6th, 2012, 12:48 pm

I wonder if this deal heats up with the Markakis situation :?:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 6th, 2012, 12:58 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I wonder if this deal heats up with the Markakis situation :?:

Why? Markakis looks to be, at most, a three month problem. Soriano would be a three YEAR burden.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by thezeroes » January 6th, 2012, 5:55 pm

ofahn wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:I wonder if this deal heats up with the Markakis situation :?:

Why? Markakis looks to be, at most, a three month problem. Soriano would be a three YEAR burden.

Your line of the burden of Soriano for three years hits the spot. If theo will pick up 80% of the contract and only want a mid-level prospect them it may be plausible but not at the three year rate staring us in the face. I would pass.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 6th, 2012, 8:53 pm

thezeroes wrote:If theo will pick up 80% of the contract and only want a mid-level prospect them it may be plausible but not at the three year rate staring us in the face.

Are you saying you would want him for ONE year or would be willing to take him for all THREE years if we only had to pay 20% (10.8M) of his contract?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by thezeroes » January 7th, 2012, 12:32 pm

ofahn wrote:
thezeroes wrote:If theo will pick up 80% of the contract and only want a mid-level prospect them it may be plausible but not at the three year rate staring us in the face.

Are you saying you would want him for ONE year or would be willing to take him for all THREE years if we only had to pay 20% (10.8M) of his contract?

I was saying that to trade for him and his three year deal, the Orioles would need to have the Cubs pickup 80% of the entire deal. Think Pedro Florimon (Player traded)and us (Orioles ) only paying 10.8 million (3.6 Million per Year) of his 3 year contract.

I do not think they (Cubs) would do this but it is what would make it palatable.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #9 by ofahn » January 7th, 2012, 1:46 pm

When this topic was first posted I thought carefully about Soriano's real value. If he were a free agent I would consider him for ONE year at about six million. Nothing more. I can't imagine the Cubs would eat all but six million (48M) of his contract for a low quality prospect. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Tampa with the Cubs eating all but 10M of his contract.

P.S. Floriman was claimed on waivers by the Twins.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Matt P » January 7th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Soriano isn't even an average player at this point.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » January 9th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Read somewhere today that a Roberts and prospect for Soriano deal has been discussed.. Yikes!!! :o
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » January 9th, 2012, 4:05 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Read somewhere today that a Roberts and prospect for Soriano deal has been discussed.. Yikes!!! :o

Do you remember where you read that?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » January 9th, 2012, 4:08 pm

ofahn wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:Read somewhere today that a Roberts and prospect for Soriano deal has been discussed.. Yikes!!! :o

it was a twitter rumor from what I remember. It's also probably not true.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by ofahn » January 9th, 2012, 4:12 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:it was a twitter rumor from what I remember. It's also probably not true.

That type of rumor should be issued with two NITRO pills!!!!!!!!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » January 10th, 2012, 6:14 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
ofahn wrote:

it was a twitter rumor from what I remember. It's also probably not true.

Phil Rogers, Chicago Tribune over the weekend 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles