Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's sign Coco Crisp? (rumor/speculation)

Re: O's sign Coco Crisp? (rumor/speculation)

PostPost #31 by Zach » January 3rd, 2012, 12:28 pm

If we can get Jurrjens with two pitching prospects (Mike Minor hopefully being one of them) this course of events will end in a net gain for the Orioles. With the rumors of the rejected trade a couple of weeks ago with the Braves, what do you think the Braves would be willing to deal for AJ? They seemed pretty high on them and I hope DD can take advantage of this. If there is one thing the Braves should be willing to deal it should be pitching.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #32 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2012, 1:10 pm

Zach wrote:If there is one thing the Braves should be willing to deal it should be pitching.

They have dealt pitching in the past but it normally is not a player they valued highly. The one exception that I can think of is the Texiera trade which they thought could put them into the playoffs. The key to getting a good return is whether they believe that Jones would be that kind of player.

Zach wrote:If we can get Jurrjens with two pitching prospects (Mike Minor hopefully being one of them) this course of events will end in a net gain for the Orioles.

IMO, Jurrjens doesn't belong in this trade. He won't be under team control in 2014. Jones is worth any two of Julio Teheran, Arodys Vizcaino, and Randall Delgado. If the Braves don't want to give those guys up then I would pass on the trade. If they want to include Jurrjens, fine. We can always try to flip him to another team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #33 by Tucker Blair » January 3rd, 2012, 1:16 pm

ofahn wrote:
Zach wrote:If there is one thing the Braves should be willing to deal it should be pitching.

They have dealt pitching in the past but it normally is not a player they valued highly. The one exception that I can think of is the Texiera trade which they thought could put them into the playoffs. The key to getting a good return is whether they believe that Jones would be that kind of player.

Zach wrote:If we can get Jurrjens with two pitching prospects (Mike Minor hopefully being one of them) this course of events will end in a net gain for the Orioles.

IMO, Jurrjens doesn't belong in this trade. He won't be under team control in 2014. Jones is worth any two of Julio Teheran, Arodys Vizcaino, and Randall Delgado. If the Braves don't want to give those guys up then I would pass on the trade. If they want to include Jurrjens, fine. We can always try to flip him to another team.

I personally dont think he actually is worth 2 of them. I know the Orioles are valuing him at that, but his worth would probably be ONE of those prospects plus maybe another lesser guy. But it seems to be a bull market, in which teams are overpaying for Known and established talent.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #34 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2012, 1:45 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I personally dont think he actually is worth 2 of them. I know the Orioles are valuing him at that, but his worth would probably be ONE of those prospects plus maybe another lesser guy. But it seems to be a bull market, in which teams are overpaying for Known and established talent.

I understand your POV. I'm not basing my value assessment on his talent but, instead, his position and supply/demand of the market. For once, it's in our favor.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #35 by birdwatcher55 » January 3rd, 2012, 2:01 pm

I like Jones for the reason he has gotten better statistically every year he's been here. Thus I don't feel we have seen his total upside yet. That said, our crying need is pitching and if you can get a King's Ransom from the Braves or another team for that matter, then you have to think about pulling the trigger. But I would be careful dealing him because outside of Wieters he's probably our most coveted trade piece. It's important we get this right and not set the organization back 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles