Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Luke Scott to be Non-tendered

Luke Scott to be Non-tendered

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » December 12th, 2011, 7:09 pm

The Orioles will non-tender Luke Scott, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Scott was eligible for $6.4 million this season. The club still could sign Scott at a lesser deal, according to Connolly.

Scott was traded to the Orioles along with Matt Albers, Troy Patton, Dennis Sarfate and Mike Costanzo for Miguel Tejada during the 2007-2008 off-season. He hit 84 home runs with a batting line of .260/.362/.485 in 4 seasons with the Orioles. He was also the teams’ MVP in 2010, when he hit 27 home runs with a batting line of .284/.368/.535 . However, he had an abysmal 2011 season where he only hit .220/.301/.402 and missed a large portion of the season due to injury.

I don't think anyone should be surprised by this. I would welcome him back at a lower price, but no way should they be paying him 6.4 mil.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Luke Scott to be Non-tendered

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » December 12th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Actually, I don't even care about the price of Scott. He is kind of pointless on the team unless the truly feel they can contend (which they shouldn't truly feel). So there is almost no reason for the Orioles to have kept him in all honesty. His age is a deterrent at this point in time.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » December 12th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Need to move on...
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » December 12th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Are we saving some coin for Prince???
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » December 12th, 2011, 7:19 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Are we saving some coin for Prince???

Doubtful, but you never know.
But seriously though, probably not
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by Matt P » December 12th, 2011, 10:03 pm

I hope they can work out a contract with him. When he is on he can mash with the best of them and can be a great DH. He can fill in a few games at LF and 1B to give guys some rest too. He's the best hitter on the team when healthy.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 13th, 2011, 9:55 am

Matt P wrote:I hope they can work out a contract with him. When he is on he can mash with the best of them and can be a great DH. He can fill in a few games at LF and 1B to give guys some rest too. He's the best hitter on the team when healthy.

I think we're better off letting him go. When he's locked in he's as good as they get, but when he's cold he's a serious drag on the lineup. If he was healthy he would be a trade chip but otherwise his age means that he's not going to be part of the solution when our farm talent arrives.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » December 13th, 2011, 11:44 am

The biggest problem with Luke Scott is his split, home and away. I can guess as to why they are so severe. But he's of an age and his overall production is such that the team needs to move on.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » December 13th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Time to see where we are with Reimold, Davis and Angle. Plus Weiters will probably DH 25 or so games this year.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #10 by osforlife » December 13th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Scott being non-tendered guarantees that if he would come here, it would be at a lower price, so I'm 50/50 on bringing him back. I wouldn't mind a rotating DH of bench players (Angle, Andino, Antonelli, Teagarden) and I wouldn't mind having Scott be the full time DH. Negatives: He is slow, ageing, streaky, bad defensively, and struggles against lefties. Postives: Positive clubhouse presence and a lock to hit 25+ homeruns.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by Don » December 13th, 2011, 11:29 pm

I have a tough time thinking he is back with the Orioles. There should be a few AL teams that might take a low risk deal on him. Luke is saying the right things about wanting to return, but a player in this situation might take the chance to see what a new team can do for him.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Baltimore Orioles