Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

John Stockstill To Continue As Head Of Player Development

John Stockstill To Continue As Head Of Player Development

PostPost #1 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2011, 4:00 pm

MASN's Steve Melewski is reporting that John Stockstill will remain as the Head Of Player Development for the Orioles.

In a phone interview today to discuss the Orioles' minor leagues and player development, Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette confirmed that John Stockstill will continue in his current role as director of player development for the team.

"Yes, he's in that role. Yes," Duquette said.

When asked if that means Stockstill is staying in that role moving forward, Duquette said, "He's in that role."

Duquette said he does not plan to have someone in his front office in the position of head of player development and scouting, but rather will have Gary Rajsich heading amateur scouting and Stockstill heading up player development.

Duquette knows there can be friction between the two departments in any organization.

"There is a natural tension there between scouting and player development, but you know what? They both need each other to succeed. I know from experience we can have a productive training and recruiting program," Duquette said.

"In the past, I have structured it so there was a head of scouting and a head of player development. I think that both those jobs are so important to the organization that they need the energy and leadership of one person (for each)."

Duquette has been sizing up the current state of the Orioles' minor leagues.

"I look at the overall numbers and total number of players that the club has drafted and signed that went on to be on major league rosters and currently our Oriole farm system is 27th out of 30th," he said.

Does that mean there could be some major turnover and changes in the minor league staff for 2012?

"Well, there is going to be some turnover, but I can tell you that we are also going to redirect some of our resources," Duquette said. "We are going to be adding some video resources. We are going to be doing additional training in the area of sports psychology and leadership. I think those two areas are key.

"I am sure there will be some staff turnover, but I don't know that the staff turnover is a big issue. I do know there are good people out there that I can bring in to lead and support this operation. I also know we have some people here that are capable and enthusiastic about making the Orioles a first division team again."

I would imagine that there will be substantial controversy among Orioles fan as to whether this move is in the best interests of the team considering the perceived unpreparedness and conditioning of many of our prospects, and the injury problems through out the system.

Steve Melewski is a very professional reporter but he seems take the position in this piece and in his replies to the post comments (http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... pment.html) that he believes Stockstill deserves this continuing opportunity. Based upon the results I'm not sure I agree. Do you?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: John Stockstill To Continue As Head Of Player Development

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » December 2nd, 2011, 5:10 pm

I don't mind him staying this year.
The reason is because it will be tough completely up-heaving the entire organization in one off-season.
Duquette has brought in people to help him out and who knows, maybe Stockstill will be able to flourish with a little less on his plate.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2011, 5:20 pm

My concern is this: Is he part of the problem or part of the solution?

The reason that Tony LaCava turned the job down was he wanted to get rid of certain front office personnel and Angelos wouldn't let him. Which execs was LaCava concerned about? Was Stockstill one of them and, if so, why?

I will feel much better about this decision if we see some serious improvement in player development this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » December 2nd, 2011, 5:28 pm

ofahn wrote:My concern is this: Is he part of the problem or part of the solution?

The reason that Tony LaCava turned the job down was he wanted to get rid of certain front office personnel and Angelos wouldn't let him. Which execs was LaCava concerned about? Was Stockstill one of them and, if so, why?

I will feel much better about this decision if we see some serious improvement in player development this year.

yea I think that's pretty much what they are going to do this year. If he indeed is the problem, then we obviously will not see him back in the future. I personally think it's a lot more than just one guy though (which I think most people would agree with).
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » December 3rd, 2011, 10:24 am

Ugh :o
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » December 3rd, 2011, 10:57 am

ofahn wrote:My concern is this: Is he part of the problem or part of the solution?

He is part of the problem. Lack of development and trying to race players through the system is one of the key things affecting our ability to produce major league players. Slow it down John
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 3rd, 2011, 11:11 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:Lack of development and trying to race players through the system is one of the key things affecting our ability to produce major league players. Slow it down John

I agree and disagree with you. Please hear me out.

I think you get the best results by moving a player along quickly until they fail for the first time. Since most of these guys have NEVER failed before it can be a watershed moment for them that defines their intelligence and character.

It's a sign of intelligence to admit to yourself what you don't know and a sign of character to admit to someone else what you don't know.

Once a player recognizes that they don't have all of the answers they are more inclined to accept coaching or even ask for help. IMO this approach allows for a faster development process but allows the player to spend more time at their level of instructional need. Of course, if a system forgets about the part where you keep the prospect at his level of failure until he learns you can have problems. Just look at Chris Tillman.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles