Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles are prepared to make David Ortiz a two-year offer

Orioles are prepared to make David Ortiz a two-year offer

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 18th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Earlier this week it was reported that the O's met with David Ortiz's agent. Now it appears they are prepared to make an offer, according to Jen Royle.

https://twitter.com/#!/Jen_Royle/status ... 6015393794

Source: #Orioles are prepared to make David Ortiz a two-year offer. Hearing there's interest from both sides.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles are prepared to make David Ortiz a two-year offer

PostPost #2 by A_K » November 18th, 2011, 10:36 pm

God damn. Why can't we ever just adopt and follow a coherent rebuilding plan? Always with this half in, half out ****.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by Don » November 18th, 2011, 11:01 pm

I think I made my point clear on twitter...

While Ortiz is a great talent and a stable bat that is an upgrade to the 25 man roster, it is not the long term option that is needed to build the team. He will likely not be around when the Orioles turn the corner and it would stunt the growth of a younger player. It could limit them to spend money on a guy that will be a difference maker when they are winning. It could limit them gathering talent to build for the future.

Again, it is not the player. It is the situation and the required task to change the band-aid thinking philosophy that seems to be sticking its head into the organization again...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by A_K » November 18th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Don wrote:I think I made my point clear on twitter...

While Ortiz is a great talent and a stable bat that is an upgrade to the 25 man roster, it is not the long term option that is needed to build the team. He will likely not be around when the Orioles turn the corner and it would stunt the growth of a younger player. It could limit them to spend money on a guy that will be a difference maker when they are winning. It could limit them gathering talent to build for the future.

Again, it is not the player. It is the situation and the required task to change the band-aid thinking philosophy that seems to be sticking its head into the organization again...

Wed have to be fools not to identify the constant variable over the last few organizational iterations.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » November 19th, 2011, 10:39 am

The likely scenario here is a two year offer from Orioles, with which Ortiz returns to Red Sox and gets his deal. That said, if we're going to spend upwards to $20 million for a declining star, let's take a look at Fielder and go 5/125 and see if he bites :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » November 19th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Gosh, please let this nightmare end.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Matt P » November 19th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Why would anyone take anything from Jen Royle seriously?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by thezeroes » November 19th, 2011, 11:30 pm

Ortiz for two years is a waste of cash. Why sign someone for two years at 10 million plus per year when you could get the same potential from Luke Scott at a lesser cost and have a player that would be able to play a position in the field when needed. With the upcoming schedule change in 2013 the Orioles may need a complete player for various series because of the inter-league thingy.

Just say no!! IMO.
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #9 by ofahn » November 19th, 2011, 11:51 pm

While I would prefer to spend the "Ortiz money" on prospects I must say in all fairness that Ortiz would be a BIG improvement over Luke Scott. Ortiz is still a feared hitter while Scott isn't even feared when he goes on his annual hot streak.

If we're going to spend money on a DH I would rather it be on Ortiz than Scott.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by DougDE » November 20th, 2011, 8:35 am

I think that with Showalter as manager that he is going to want veterans like this. This is definetly just more of the same ol ....stuff. In recent seasons Ortiz has had those terrible 2 month stretches where he looks like he's done and then he comes back. What are the chances that he has that 2 month stretch but no come back his first season in Baltimore?!
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Baltimore Orioles