Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Dan Duquette Interview

Dan Duquette Interview

PostPost #1 by Matt P » November 18th, 2011, 12:20 pm

http://audio.weei.com/a/48664561/dan-du ... boston.htm

This interview is music to my ears. This guy doesn't BS at all about the organization and tells it like it is. There is no doubt he is the right man for the job and knows what needs to be done. The only question that remains at this point is if Angelos is going to let him do it or not.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Dan Duquette Interview

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » November 18th, 2011, 12:24 pm

I hope so, but yes I do like that he does not beat around the bush.

I can totally see why he was not liked in Boston by the media.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Matt P » November 18th, 2011, 12:26 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I can totally see why he was not liked in Boston by the media.

Why would the media not like a GM who actually tells the truth instead of not giving straight answers? I know they didn't use to like him but so far in Baltimore he seems alright.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » November 18th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Matt P wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:I can totally see why he was not liked in Boston by the media.

Why would the media not like a GM who actually tells the truth instead of not giving straight answers? I know they didn't use to like him but so far in Baltimore he seems alright.

Well I would assume that in Boston they did not want to hear the truth and that they would rather him say that he was going to make everything great (which I can understand at the time he was there).
Here, he simply HAS to tell the truth to garner any respect. In Baltimore he has a good chance to show his skills (if Angelos allows it). I hope he is successful, because we need some form of a rebound
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » November 18th, 2011, 3:37 pm

I didn't hear or read any transcripts from the interview. But from bits and pieces I have read elsewhere he was highly critical of our drafts over the past ten years, pointing out that Wieters was the "only hit" for the organization. I thought that was a little misleading when you consider the likes of Markakis, Britton, Machado and Schoop to name just four. I'm sure I missed a few others like Jim Johnson. But anyways I do get his drift. Things need to improve dramatically and that only comes with more spending, better scouting and a tighter organizational philosophy from top to bottom :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by ofahn » November 18th, 2011, 4:32 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I didn't hear or read any transcripts from the interview. But from bits and pieces I have read elsewhere he was highly critical of our drafts over the past ten years, pointing out that Wieters was the "only hit" for the organization. I thought that was a little misleading when you consider the likes of Markakis, Britton, Machado and Schoop to name just four. I'm sure I missed a few others like Jim Johnson. But anyways I do get his drift. Things need to improve dramatically and that only comes with more spending, better scouting and a tighter organizational philosophy from top to bottom :)

I listened to the interview and he was referring to first round picks. I immediately thought of Markakis too, but he has a point. Look at the record.

1999 Mike Paradis - no longer in baseball
1999 Rich Stahl - no longer in baseball
1999 Larry Bigbie - after a very short ML career he's no longer in baseball
1999 Keith Reed - no longer in baseball
1999 Josh Cenate - no longer in baseball
1999 Scott Rice - no longer in baseball
2000 Beau Hale - no longer in baseball
2000 Tripper Johnson - no longer in baseball
2001 Chris Smith - no longer in baseball
2001 Mike Fontenot - has never risen above a reserve
2001 Bryan Bass - no longer in baseball
2002 Adam Loewen - lost his pitching arm to an injury
2004 Wade Townsend - did not sign
2005 Brandon Snyder - his ceiling is probably as a reserve
2006 Billy Rowell - @$%^@*(&^#@!!!!
2008 Brian Matusz - the talent is there but he needs to develop a whole more of "want to"
2009 Matthew Hobgood - he still might become a ML regular but Leake or Minor would be pitching on our staff NOW

The trouble started with the 1999 draft when we had seven picks between selections 13 and 50 which resulted in just ONE MLB regular, Brian Roberts. Of course, the reason we had all of those choices was the exodus of a flood of talent in free agency. A loss that you could argue this team has NEVER recovered from.

Our 2000 draft did not produce a MLB regular and our return from the 2001 draft was Jim Johnson. The 2002 draft produced a trio of Orioles' legends: Adam Loewen, Hayden Penn, and Brandon Fahey. Things improved a bit in 2003 with Nick Markakis and Chris Ray but 2004's only contribution was Brad Bergesen. 2005 resulted in Nolan Reimold and David Hernandez (traded for Mark Reynolds) along with a group of players still in the farm system but no longer considered top level prospects. 2006 produced Zach Britton, Jason Berken, Ryan Adams, and Blake Davis but Andy MacPhail lost Pedro Beato in the Rule 5 draft.

Finally, in 2007 we started seeing impact players like Matt Weiters and Jake Arrieta being drafted as well as legitimate prospect Joe Mahoney and the quality and quantity of talent has improved since then.

For as high as we have drafted since 1999 you need to see most of those players contributing at the ML level and about half of them becoming regulars. Look at the good teams. You will see their rosters filled with players drafted between 2001 and 2008. Combine our draft failures with a VERY limited presence in the international market and Mr. Duquette doesn't have a lot to work with.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Matt P » November 18th, 2011, 5:13 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I didn't hear or read any transcripts from the interview. But from bits and pieces I have read elsewhere he was highly critical of our drafts over the past ten years, pointing out that Wieters was the "only hit" for the organization. I thought that was a little misleading when you consider the likes of Markakis, Britton, Machado and Schoop to name just four. I'm sure I missed a few others like Jim Johnson. But anyways I do get his drift. Things need to improve dramatically and that only comes with more spending, better scouting and a tighter organizational philosophy from top to bottom :)

He was referring to the selections in the top 10. Markakis has been good but hasn't been the great player everyone once hoped for. Britton was not a first round selection, Machado only has 1 year in the minors so it's to early to tell, and Schoop was not drafted.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by A_K » November 18th, 2011, 10:41 pm

David Ortiz rumors make clear we can all put our hopes back on the shelf. Same old story as long as Angelos is around.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » November 19th, 2011, 2:38 pm

A_K wrote:David Ortiz rumors make clear we can all put our hopes back on the shelf. Same old story as long as Angelos is around.

Couldn't agree more. Now we will just get all Boston re-treads. Not really a change at all.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » November 19th, 2011, 3:06 pm

I doubt Ortiz signs here. As for the recent drafts, no argument here on the #1s. Rowell was horrendous. Thanks for clarifying those "hits". Tripper Johnson was another stunner. LOL :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by Matt P » November 19th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Duquette said in the interview he's not interested in signing an aging Dominican DH and would much rather put that money towards signing Dominican amateurs.

Also, Duquette never signed him to the Red Sox so it's not like they have a history together.

The only Ortiz rumor has come from Jen Royle who has done nothing to prove she is a reliable source at all. To act like just because she claims it to be true is 100% true is ridiculous. No need to "put the hopes back on the shelf" just because of one persons opinion.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » November 19th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Matt P wrote:Duquette said in the interview he's not interested in signing an aging Dominican DH and would much rather put that money towards signing Dominican amateurs.

Now, if the team would only spend HALF of what they would pay Ortiz on international talent in the next twelve months I would feel MUCH more optimistic about this organization's future.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #13 by Matt P » November 20th, 2011, 10:51 am

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:Duquette said in the interview he's not interested in signing an aging Dominican DH and would much rather put that money towards signing Dominican amateurs.

Now, if the team would only spend HALF of what they would pay Ortiz on international talent in the next twelve months I would feel MUCH more optimistic about this organization's future.

I feel the same. He said he would rather sign a bunch of amateur prospects than spend a lot of money on an aging DH. Until he does something different than what he claimed he would I will believe everything he says. I'm not going to abandon ship because someone with no credibility claims something.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by kbrooke » November 20th, 2011, 6:38 pm

ofahn wrote:

I listened to the interview and he was referring to first round picks. I immediately thought of Markakis too, but he has a point. Look at the record. ...

Nice breakdown...I was wondering who he was referring to as well and where Kakes fit in. That's some list right there!
kbrooke
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles