Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should Jim Johnson move to the rotation?!

Re: Should Jim Johnson move to the rotation?!

PostPost #16 by DougDE » November 22nd, 2011, 8:44 pm

I looked up a few of the names such as Flanagan, Palmer, McNally, McGregor, Mussina. For the most part, they made15-20 appearances out of the bullpen in 1 single season. Cuellar did it for 2 seasons (not with the O's). Mussina didnt do it at all. Altho I know he came after the time period we think of as "Oriole Way". They all also made a few starts in that season they made relief appearances. None spent 99% of 4 years there. The idea that the great Oriole starters cut their teeth in the pen 1st is overblown I think. What is perplexing is why they think Johnson would be successful in the rotation now. Seems like another Oriole blunder that everyone but them can see coming a mile away
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #17 by mthompson » November 22nd, 2011, 10:20 pm

With 3 solid pitches, good command and a mid 90's fastball their is no reason not to do this. It could very easily be a c.j wilson like situation, if u remember he waqs in the pen for 4 years. His raw stuff is better then pretty much anything else we have. I could see 170 inn a 3.8 era 1.3 whip and 125 or so k's. this is a no lose situation, worst case is he is bad and best case we have a solid starter under contract for 3 more years
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #18 by Don » November 23rd, 2011, 12:10 am

For a guy that has frayed his elbow ligaments already, he had a few minor hiccups with both the shoulder and elbow over the course of his pitching career that it is playing with fire.

He has late trailing arm action and the heavy workload is a risk that I would not take on him. His mechanics are better suited for the bullpen for his own safety. It is better to have a solid bullpen arm than to risk over exposure to a guy that has already shown arm damage in the past.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » November 23rd, 2011, 1:45 pm

I'm very much opposed to this move. When he took over the closer's role late in the season, our bullpen really got stablized. And on top of that, I've really have had my fill of Goggles :geek:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles