Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Simon

Simon

PostPost #1 by Zach » November 8th, 2011, 1:23 pm

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72080 ... ter-charge maybe having this behind him will help for next year
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Simon

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » November 8th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Hopefully so. I also hope they keep him in the bullpen if they have that luxury this year.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by osforlife » November 8th, 2011, 9:38 pm

I also think they should keep Simon in the bullpen. Simon and Strop could make a deadly 7th/8th inning punch with the nasty stuff they have.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by kwalker35 » November 9th, 2011, 11:57 am

I am happy for him his ordeal is over. The question now , Are the birds gonna offer arbitration to him ? He could be useful out of the bullpen as a possible long man, or set-up. I don't believe he should be considered for a starter role, unless their's no alternative. He begins to wear down after the first time thru a lineup.
kwalker35
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #5 by Matt P » November 9th, 2011, 8:32 pm

I wonder if he could be part of a trade package for a starter this off season.

I like him and think he would be a solid bullpen guy for us but we need starters.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by thezeroes » November 9th, 2011, 9:35 pm

kwalker35 wrote:I am happy for him his ordeal is over. The question now , Are the birds gonna offer arbitration to him ? He could be useful out of the bullpen as a possible long man, or set-up. I don't believe he should be considered for a starter role, unless their's no alternative. He begins to wear down after the first time thru a lineup.

I second your happiness with the ordeal he was placed into and thru.

On your second point, I do not think he is Arbitration Eligible this year. He missed the Super Two threshold.(Bergesen) I might be wrong on this and if I am, please correct my lack of knowledge on the subject at hand.

With Simon having had an arm injury in 2010 (Elbow) and also missing all of the Spring Thing in 2011, I believe a starter spot could be his for the taking "IF" he dedicates his off season to making it so. He has the body type to have stamina. He has an overpowering fastball. His secondary stuff can keep batters off balance. He could be a larger Jim Johnson if in shape and dedicated to his role. This is just my opinion from the EyeBall Test.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 9th, 2011, 10:32 pm

thezeroes wrote:With Simon having had an arm injury in 2010 (Elbow) and also missing all of the Spring Thing in 2011, I believe a starter spot could be his for the taking "IF" he dedicates his off season to making it so. He has the body type to have stamina. He has an overpowering fastball. His secondary stuff can keep batters off balance. He could be a larger Jim Johnson if in shape and dedicated to his role. This is just my opinion from the EyeBall Test.

I would allow him to go into camp competing for a starters job but I would rather see the team acquire at least one quality veteran starter and, hopefully, two. Simon should be good for about 100 - 120 innings a year as a reliever. He has the stuff to lock down the seventh and eighth innings and occasionally part of the sixth. I hope he successfully fill that role.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles