Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles claim Darren O'Day off waivers from Texas Rangers

Orioles claim Darren O'Day off waivers from Texas Rangers

PostPost #1 by osforlife » November 2nd, 2011, 4:12 pm

Darren O'day is a dominant reliever when healthy. He has very good minor and major league stats. Last year, he just had trouble with injuries. I believe he could be a big piece to the Baltimore bullpen. He is cheap too. Good pickup, IMO.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles claim Darren O'Day off waivers from Texas Rangers

PostPost #2 by Matt P » November 2nd, 2011, 8:11 pm

Who needs a GM?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by Don » November 3rd, 2011, 11:19 am

Darren O'day is a decent pick up that is low cost and chance to right the ship. I fear that his role is so pigeon holed that it is not effective to have a guy who largely cannot subdue left handed hitters. Any typical bullpen should have right handed pitchers that have the ability to work an inning and left handed pitchers to be the LOOGY.

If you can get a LHP to work well against LHB and RHB, they are worth their weight in gold. Unless the RHP can be equally effective against LHB and RHB, they would not last long in a top notch bullpen.

He is worth taking the flyer, but I do not think he makes the opening day roster.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2011, 3:00 pm

This is the type of acquisition that San Diego and Tampa make every winter and end up with solid bullpens at bargain prices. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if the team doesn't outright him just before the dealine for setting rosters before the Rule 5 Draft. Other teams will be in the same roster crunch and you have a better chance of retaining him on a minor lrague contract.

Definately worth a 200K minor league gamble but he may not be worth a 40 man roster spot compared to some of the kids we need to protect.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 3rd, 2011, 7:08 pm

This is a move that makes it clear Buck is going to handle the major league side of things. I think they really needed a guy like Dipoto who has a background in the minor leagues. Huge blow to lose both LaCava and Watson.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles