Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why are they dragging this GM hiring process out?

Re: Why are they dragging this GM hiring process out?

PostPost #31 by Rising O's » November 3rd, 2011, 5:53 am

It seems to me you hire a GM for the purpose of developing a long term plan, not for matching his vision to the people currently in the organization. It would seem to be especially true for an organization that has averaged ninety five losses for the last five years.

Dave Stockstill is of course "well regarded" by the Orioles, is anyone who works for Peter not described in the same way? But he's been here for seven years now and what are the results? John Stockstill has been here for six years, and of course is "well regarded". Is anyone who works in the Warehouse responsible for the futility that has driven the fans from the stands? Because they flipped job titles I guess they need to be given a chance to prove themselves...

I would like to see someone from Texas come here, someone who believes in the philosophy of Nolan Ryan when it comes to preparing pitchers.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #32 by Don » November 3rd, 2011, 11:08 am

How long have I been trying to get it though to the masses that Minors are not about wins and losses.

It is about properly developing players through a greater emphasis in practices, conditioning, larger impact of one on one instruction and everyone on the same page, additional voices for one on one instruction...

I mean this current bunch puts all its eggs into a few baskets. They play ho-hum in the instructional portion and give a half-heart attempt. There is just so much wrong with it and there are people in place that feel differently.

Man, get it together and build properly, there is no hope until you allow a true baseball guy to run things his way...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #33 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2011, 3:16 pm

You have to hope that Peter Angelos was shocked by LaCava's rejection and asked some good baseball people why.

PA has said in the past that he doesn't meddle in the running of the team but clearly he does if he wants to dictate to a well respected baseball man what FO office people can stay or go. This is a real character moment for PA. Does he admit to himself that his way hasn't worked and then admit the same to others by allowing a competent baseball person to make the decisons?

I think it would be a mistake to guarantee the kind of money that Prince Fielder wants but it won't even be an issue if the baseball world continues to think of the Orioles as a laughing stock. Quality players with other options won't choose Baltimore unless we offer them "stupid" money. At what point is PA going to realize that he would have to pay a substantial premium for a player because of his (PA's) actions?

Peter Angelos is a smart man who has run a successful law practice but he apparently has yet to accept that it is his actions that has cost him money in reduced attendance and higher player costs. For the sake of this team and its looooonnnnggg suffering fan base I hope he has that epiphany VERY soon.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #34 by Matt P » November 3rd, 2011, 5:13 pm

Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Ken Rosenthal
Source: Dan Duquette to interview with #Orioles for GM vacancy tomorrow. #MLB
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #35 by Rising O's » November 6th, 2011, 10:34 am

Dan Duquette really? This is the best the Orioles can do? A bold move to lift this moribund franchise? I read on Roch he has been out of baseball for eight years and has been fired twice? :roll:
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles