Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

Re: Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

PostPost #121 by birdwatcher55 » November 22nd, 2011, 8:34 pm

Anyone spending $40mil on Cespedes is crazy. There are lot of questions about this guy. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #122 by ofahn » November 24th, 2011, 8:52 am

IMO the union has maneuvered the owners into a CBA that reduces the supply of young talent for the next five years or so which increases the demand for "free" agents in every price range. Let's hope that Duquette recognizes that right away and makes the best deal possible for Jones ASAP.

Perhaps the best option right now is Jones to Washington for Solis and two other solid prospects and then Guthrie to the Reds for Alonso.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #123 by DougDE » November 24th, 2011, 12:49 pm

ofahn wrote:IMO the union has maneuvered the owners into a CBA that reduces the supply of young talent for the next five years or so

It may delay an amateur talent a year from coming into baseball as they attempt to get a better slot the next year but how does it reduce the supply overall? What will player X do, just not come to pro ball and make no money at all? Any player who is good enough will be in pro ball, sooner rather then later. The supply will be exactly the same with maybe a few more players waiting an extra season before turning pro
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #124 by ofahn » November 24th, 2011, 2:02 pm

DougDE wrote:It may delay an amateur talent a year from coming into baseball as they attempt to get a better slot the next year but how does it reduce the supply overall? What will player X do, just not come to pro ball and make no money at all? Any player who is good enough will be in pro ball, sooner rather then later. The supply will be exactly the same with maybe a few more players waiting an extra season before turning pro

Yes, that's what I meant but this ripple effect will take about five years to abate and "free" agents will be worth more to clubs during that period if that club did not improve its scouting and development programs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #125 by Don » November 24th, 2011, 2:16 pm

I continue to stress that no one knows what the future will hold, but I have one of the final copies in my hand.

The Orioles would not have been subjected to any clause this past season. I am not quite sure until the exact number comes out, but were 250k to 500k below the value set for them.

What was really wrong with this past draft. They have three high school kids with high ceilings, a few power arms that will beef up the upper level of the system and a number of raw kids with some nice upside. If they do this year in and year out, they are fine.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #126 by ofahn » November 24th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Don,

I can't (and won't) argue with anything you just wrote BUT I thought we missed a GOLDEN opportunity with the last draft. There was so much talent available and buying more would have just cost a little (7M) more money. We are SO far behind where we should be as a farm system.

The Pirates, Royals, and Nationals were able to read the tea leaves, why couldn't we?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #127 by Don » November 25th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Maybe I missed my exact point.

I was stressing that what the Orioles did this past season falls inline within the new agreement and under those constraints the Orioles would have done a great deal to inject some talent into the system.

I think I went on record saying that the 2011 draft was the one to spend $15-16 million to gobble up every top player on the board that you can grab. We knew these things were in the works for about 3-4 years. I could not disclose publicly for gag order items.

I think the Orioles did well with top heavy and some nice risk/reward picks. They would have been better off adding four other players and 1 million to the pot to sign Adam Matthews, Jason Coats, Brad Roney, and Ryan Meyer and it may have payed off even more in the long run... oh well...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #128 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 3:04 pm

This purely a guess, but if the Nationals land Buehrle or C J Wilson I would not be surprised to see them make a pitching prospect rich offer to the Orioles for Jones. They covet a CF and Jones may be the best player available this winter.

If we make the trade we could shop Guthrie for a Yonder Alonso or similar type of bat.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #129 by Tucker Blair » December 5th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Britt_Ghiroli Brittany Ghiroli
Markakis, wieters and jones are players duquette wants to build around, not trade.

seems like DD does not want Jones traded to me.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #130 by BuckMagic » December 5th, 2011, 9:14 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Britt_Ghiroli Brittany Ghiroli
Markakis, wieters and jones are players duquette wants to build around, not trade.

seems like DD does not want Jones traded to me.

They seem to want to contend so I don't see any of the big 4 being traded.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #131 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Something tells me that if a team makes the right offer that Jones will be moved.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #132 by Tucker Blair » December 5th, 2011, 10:25 pm

ofahn wrote:Something tells me that if a team makes the right offer that Jones will be moved.

I doubt that happens. There is reportedly only mild interest in BJ Upton, who is just as good if not better than Jones is.
I think the FO thinks Jones is one of their only marketable pieces along with Wieters and Markakis, which is why I think they try and extend him (although I don't agree with it)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #133 by ofahn » December 6th, 2011, 1:46 pm

I realize that I'm probably two posts away from an intervention on this subject but a National's source told Pete Kerzel of MASNSports.com that the team is "fixated" on leaving the Winter Meetings with a new center fielder. We have a GOLDEN opportunity to stock our farm system by trading a player that is expendable. I just hope the FO does not reject the idea out of hand.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #134 by Tucker Blair » December 6th, 2011, 3:00 pm

ofahn wrote:I realize that I'm probably two posts away from an intervention on this subject but a National's source told Pete Kerzel of MASNSports.com that the team is "fixated" on leaving the Winter Meetings with a new center fielder. We have a GOLDEN opportunity to stock our farm system by trading a player that is expendable. I just hope the FO does not reject the idea out of hand.

And now we have this via Steve Melewski:
MLB source says Orioles ARE willing to trade Adam Jones.

http://twitter.com/#!/masnSteve/status/ ... 3252647936
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #135 by MakeMoves! » December 6th, 2011, 3:37 pm

I think this could be a great move if the right teams presented themselves. 2 best options imo are...

Texas Rangers - they have been looking for a CF and could offer a package involving Leonys Martin, Martin Perez, Neil Ramirez, Mike Olt, Engel Beltre, etc. I think if you could get those first 4 guys, I'd throw Guthrie in too and pull the trigger.

SF Giants - Always looking for bats. Maybe they would be willing to part with Madison Bumgarner if they could get an SP back (Guthrie). Jones and Guthrie for Bum and Gary Brown is a done deal for me.
MakeMoves!
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles