Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jake Arrieta shutdown

Jake Arrieta shutdown

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 14th, 2010, 10:04 pm

MLB.com beat reporter Brittany Ghiroli says Arrieta is likely done for the season:

Looks like this will likely be Jake Arrieta's final start.

Ended the season on a good note...
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Jake Arrieta shutdown

PostPost #2 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 15th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Jordan wrote:MLB.com beat reporter Brittany Ghiroli says Arrieta is likely done for the season:

Yup, I'm glad to see that he ended his season very strong. He's finally showing why everyone thought he had the best stuff out of all of our guys.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by allstar1579 » September 15th, 2010, 2:59 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
Jordan wrote:MLB.com beat reporter Brittany Ghiroli says Arrieta is likely done for the season:

Yup, I'm glad to see that he ended his season very strong. He's finally showing why everyone thought he had the best stuff out of all of our guys.

He's got SOME of the best stuff. Best fastball and mentality by far, his slider is good, but not great. Matusz by far has him beat in the secondaries category, and Tillman has a better curve than both. Hard to say who has the better fastball between Britton and Jake though, since Britton's is a sinker, maybe you can call it a secondary, but it's really a 2-seam fastball, and it's by far the best in the minors, and one of the best in the majors right now.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by DougDE » September 15th, 2010, 3:01 pm

I think ya gotta be happy with his body of work for his rookie year. Definetly reason to be encouraged. Next year I would like to see some improvement in the K to BB ratio
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by allstar1579 » September 15th, 2010, 3:04 pm

DougDE wrote:I think ya gotta be happy with his body of work for his rookie year. Definetly reason to be encouraged. Next year I would like to see some improvement in the K to BB ratio

Yeah I love Jake personally, I'm glad he's done well. I was pushing for him even during that rough year last year, he's just got the ace mentality you don't see often. If his command increases with experience he could be better than anyone thought.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 15th, 2010, 9:20 pm

I forget who (pretty sure it was Britt) said it, but Arrieta might get the shot to pitch at Fenway for the experience. Probably not a bad idea. He could stand one more start, and outside of Yankees Stadium, he doesn't have much experience pitching in such a high pressure environment.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by allstar1579 » September 15th, 2010, 9:37 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:

I forget who (pretty sure it was Britt) said it, but Arrieta might get the shot to pitch at Fenway for the experience. Probably not a bad idea. He could stand one more start, and outside of Yankees Stadium, he doesn't have much experience pitching in such a high pressure environment.

Yeah Britt said something earlier he's getting one last start. He pitched in Fenway in the minor league game last season between Pawtucket and Norfolk, but it's not the same against minor leaguers.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by CamdenRevival » September 15th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Here's my favorite nugget on behalf of Jake:

June: 6.20 ERA
July: 5.01 ERA
August: 4.45 ERA
September: 2.60 ERA (with 2BB in 17IP)

I like when rookies show progress. THAT'S progress...
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 16th, 2010, 10:47 am

My favorite nugget is his stats against the Yankees. Two games, two quality starts!

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by allstar1579 » September 16th, 2010, 2:17 pm

CamdenRevival wrote:Here's my favorite nugget on behalf of Jake:

June: 6.20 ERA
July: 5.01 ERA
August: 4.45 ERA
September: 2.60 ERA (with 2BB in 17IP)

I like when rookies show progress. THAT'S progress...

I don't feel like finding them all in one place, but better than that is our overall SP stats by month. < 3.00 ERA under Buck? Redic.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 1:06 am

An now, looks more than likely that Arrieta will start Tuesday in Boston. The only reason it could be Wednesday would be if Matusz' start were to be pushed back, but Brian's BP session went well (feels 100% he said) and he is on schedule to throw Tuesday (Arrieta, that is).

Then, I'm assuming, he will be shut down, no matter what the outcome (even a no-hitter).
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Jake's got some bone chips floating around in his elbow. Nothing major, small surgery will clean them out later, no biggie, but you don't want a guy throwing that hard with bone chips floating around, it's asking for ligament damage.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles