Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Positives from 2011

The Positives from 2011

PostPost #1 by docjj » September 11th, 2011, 1:05 am

By nature, I'm a pessimist. It was extremely difficult for me to come up with anything positive at all about this year. In fact, I think I had more to be optimistic about at the end of last year, than this one. Nevertheless, this is what I've come up with:

1. We'll probably get the #2 overall pick in the 2012 draft.
2. We'll shed some salaries at the end of this season.
3. Adam Jones, Matt Wieters, JJ Hardy make us solid up the middle.
4. We were able to sign Bundy, Esposito and Delmonico from this year's draft.
5. MacPhail might be leaving as GM.
6. Machado and Schoop had good years in the minors.

Obviously, I can generate dozens of Negatives from this year, but I'm trying to stick with the positives. Anyone got anything else? I sure don't....
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: The Positives from 2011

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » September 11th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Robert Andino has emerged as a capable utility infielder. Jim Johnson has developed into a lights out reliever (maybe a starter?). Zach Britton has shown flashes of effectiveness. Chris Tillman has been awful overall but has shown occasional increases in velocity that led to a solid quality start against the Blue Jays. Pedro Strop has been good thus far and could be a long term bullpen option.

Nothing significant but a few small positives in this embarrassing and abysmal season for the O's.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by rjc3 » September 12th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Arrieta showed flashes of being good as well. Maybe with the surgery his control comes back and he ends up the workhorse we thought we had.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » September 12th, 2011, 10:03 pm

rjc3 wrote:Arrieta showed flashes of being good as well. Maybe with the surgery his control comes back and he ends up the workhorse we thought we had.

Agreed. Hopefully the surgery solves his elbow issues otherwise tommy john might be in his future... But he certainly did show some nice flashes this year.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Don » September 13th, 2011, 2:57 pm

TJS, no way, his issue was bone growth due to agitation. He is borderline placing additional pressure on the elbow, so I do not see ulnar ligament in his future with a similar mechanical approach. If he starts to change his throwing style as a result of increased flexability, all bets are off.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles