Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jerry Crasnick: Baltimore struggling again

Jerry Crasnick: Baltimore struggling again

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 31st, 2011, 7:32 pm

"After a strong finish in 2010, the Orioles have reverted to their losing ways"
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6910799/baltimore-orioles-revert-losing-ways

Crasnick discusses what's gone on in Baltimore this season. A couple notable parts...

A scout on Markakis:
"He's become a streaky hitter, and he seems to have different approaches," said an NL scout. "His bat has slowed down too. You used to not be able to get in his kitchen, but now you can. There are a lot of issues going on there that are not good."

Scout on Machado:
"Manny Machado is one of better young players I've ever seen," said a scout. "He's in that A-Rod class as a young man that really has a chance to be a superstar player."
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Jerry Crasnick: Baltimore struggling again

PostPost #2 by Don » September 1st, 2011, 8:47 am

Depending on who takes over, there could be a few bloated contracts traded in the off-season.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » September 1st, 2011, 8:51 am

Uh oh, you cannot say anything bad about Nick. Comparing his first three years over his last three and all you can say is blah. 42 million owed over the next three years too. Mark Reynolds has a better shot of having his option picked up than Markakis for 2015.

Machado is great, he just says the right things. I really do have hope that he and Bundy can remake this franchise. 2014 can''t come soon enough as an Orioles fan.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by Don » September 1st, 2011, 2:52 pm

I do not think Nick is a bad player, but his role, his position, is production merit nothing close to the value of his contract. He was never going to produce to the dollar figures, but this is not even close to half of his contract value.

If he were a centerfielder and leadoff hitter, I would have a total different assessment. He would also not be making the dollars he current is seeing as well.

I said it over twitter as with pop eye "I am what I am and that's all that I am" This is Nick and this is what to expect.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » September 1st, 2011, 4:50 pm

Angelos would never agree to trade Markakis. I firmly believe that.

How many organizations are close enough that Markakis and his contract make sense for them?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by Don » September 2nd, 2011, 9:23 am

If you based it on contracts, any player can be dealt. When Vernon Wells can be traded with $80 million left on his deal, the numbers are never in the way.

Now personal feeling change that entire outlook, but I assume any new GM will have Carte blanche on the active roster. Especially if it is an experienced GM.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by j.q. higgins » September 4th, 2011, 8:15 am

I assume any new GM will have Carte blanche on the active roster. Especially if it is an experienced GM.

especially if we're talking cashman or john hart, yeah?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Return to Baltimore Orioles