Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matt Angle should be starting in LF now

Matt Angle should be starting in LF now

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » August 12th, 2011, 3:28 pm

The Orioles should look to the guy with the best chance of being a lead-off hitter for next year. He has improved enough in his 2nd season at AAA that he warrants a longer look than September call-ups allow. There is an opportunity here the Orioles are going to miss and be forced to go into free agency with big questions about the top of the order again. Why do that when a cheap solution might be given the experience he needs to thrive in that roll?

I compare our situation with the Yankees and Gardner. They went with him out of necessity and found a capable player. We should be doing the same. Nolan is not good enough to be a starting outfielder with DH should be his primary roll (and he should be taking ABs away from Vlad). This goes for using PIe too except in rare circumstances. Go with the guys with a future in 2012.

We're going to lose 90+ anyway so we should be using this time to wisely evaluate what we do have.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Matt Angle should be starting in LF now

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 12th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Rising O's wrote:The Orioles should look to the guy with the best chance of being a lead-off hitter for next year. He has improved enough in his 2nd season at AAA that he warrants a longer look than September call-ups allow. There is an opportunity here the Orioles are going to miss and be forced to go into free agency with big questions about the top of the order again. Why do that when a cheap solution might be given the experience he needs to thrive in that roll?

I compare our situation with the Yankees and Gardner. They went with him out of necessity and found a capable player. We should be doing the same. Nolan is not good enough to be a starting outfielder with DH should be his primary roll (and he should be taking ABs away from Vlad). This goes for using PIe too except in rare circumstances. Go with the guys with a future in 2012.

100% agree. I don't think people realize that with Angle's defense, along with a solid .330-.340 OBP and 30+ SBs he is a very valuable player.

I would also give Kyle Hudson a look with his recent hot streak in mind.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » August 12th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Jordan wrote:100% agree. I don't think people realize that with Angle's defense, along with a solid .330-.340 OBP and 30+ SBs he is a very valuable player.

I would also give Kyle Hudson a look with his recent hot streak in mind.

I'm also strongly in favor of this. Although I'd actually prefer to see the O's move Adam Jones to LF and put Angle in CF. Jones defense has taken anotherr step back this season (unless you are Baseball America). It is obvious that Pie is not the answer, and although Reimold has had his moments, I didn't understand hitting him in the leadoff sppot tonight. It would appeear that Roberts is done, and hopefully no one would argue that his best days are certainly well behind him. Unless the O's want to make Hardy the leadoff hitter, there simply is no other option to hit in that spot.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by dan72 » August 13th, 2011, 11:32 am

Couldnt agree more. We already know what Riemold and Pie have to offer. Riemold could play first or DH. Pie needs to go.
good call.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » August 15th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Who has a better arm? Angle or Hudson?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 15th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Who has a better arm? Angle or Hudson?

Which one is the better defender, and which position are they best at?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » August 15th, 2011, 9:14 pm

These guys have already ranked Angle as best defensive outfielder as of a day or two ago so I asked about who has the better arm.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 15th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Rising O's wrote:Who has a better arm? Angle or Hudson?

Hudson has below-average arm strength. Angle's is a tad above-average.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » August 16th, 2011, 6:12 pm

If Angle could bat .285 he would be all we need at the top of the order. He would have a OBA of approx. 350 and steal 30plus...I would eventually like to see him in CF and move AJ to left where I think he would flourish offensively and on D with fresher legs. That would give us one of the better OF defenses in baseball. Now go get a defensive first 3b and 2b to bat 8th and 9th and we would have one of the better defensive teams in baseball. Then we just let our pitchers grow. I really bothers me we dont seem to be going in that direction.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #10 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 20th, 2011, 11:49 pm

I couldn't agree more that Angle should be getting an extended look. With his defense, patient approach, sound hitting fundamentals, and playable speed that would conceivably allow him to bunt for hits and steal bases at the ML level would make him a massive upgrade over Pie/Reimold. It's the little things that make this team as bad as it is and starting Angle would be a step in the right direction.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 21st, 2011, 9:24 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I couldn't agree more that Angle should be getting an extended look. With his defense, patient approach, sound hitting fundamentals, and playable speed that would conceivably allow him to bunt for hits and steal bases at the ML level would make him a massive upgrade over Pie/Reimold. It's the little things that make this team as bad as it is and starting Angle would be a step in the right direction.

Great point. After watching the Pie and Jones miscues over the past few days, fans would love having a guy like Angle who just does everything right.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by j.q. higgins » August 22nd, 2011, 1:17 pm

Jordan wrote:Great point. After watching the Pie and Jones miscues over the past few days, fans would love having a guy like Angle who just does everything right

in your opinion, how much does angle's absolute lack of power negate his ability to get on base at the major league level?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #13 by DougDE » August 22nd, 2011, 3:36 pm

Angle's got to be better then Pie hands down, even with zero power. It's kind of disturbing that Pie's still on the team
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 22nd, 2011, 4:25 pm

j.q. higgins wrote:
Jordan wrote:Great point. After watching the Pie and Jones miscues over the past few days, fans would love having a guy like Angle who just does everything right

in your opinion, how much does angle's absolute lack of power negate his ability to get on base at the major league level?

The problem with guys like Angle is that MLB pitchers can pound the zone and force them to hit strikes instead of taking walks. It's just very hard for guys with such little power to maintain high walk rates.

Even so, I still think Angle is good enough to adjust to this once he gets an extended look.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Rising O's » August 22nd, 2011, 8:49 pm

So still no Angle even after that disastrous finale vs the Angels. Are they afraid someone is going to claim Pie if he's DFA'd? Is Reimold going to learn how to field? We've had looks over the past 3 years, he is no better now than he was then. The topper will be bringing back Luke Scott in 2012.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles