Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should Matt Angle replace Felix Pie?

Should Matt Angle replace Felix Pie?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 28th, 2011, 1:36 am

Felix Pie is currently the worst position player in the majors, with 1.8 fWAR. He can't hit. He can't field. He makes silly mistakes in the field and isn't patient at the plate.

Matt Angle's defense alone would make him at least an average big league player, and I'd much rather watch him than Pie. SSS, but in 2 games Angle's defense was worth 1.5 runs. Over the entire season, Pie's defense has cost the team 10 runs.

They need to let Nolan Reimold start every game in the field and have Angle as the 4th OF.

Would you make this change as well?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Should Matt Angle replace Felix Pie?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 28th, 2011, 7:27 am

Jordan wrote:Felix Pie is currently the worst position player in the majors, with 1.8 fWAR. He can't hit. He can't field. He makes silly mistakes in the field and isn't patient at the plate.

Matt Angle's defense alone would make him at least an average big league player, and I'd much rather watch him than Pie. SSS, but in 2 games Angle's defense was worth 1.5 runs. Over the entire season, Pie's defense has cost the team 10 runs.

They need to let Nolan Reimold start every game in the field and have Angle as the 4th OF.

Would you make this change as well?

SIGH!

Well, of course.

It amazes me that there would even be a debate about this.
Last edited by ofahn on July 30th, 2011, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » July 28th, 2011, 10:11 am

You could do it now, some team might throw you a PTBNL for him. Its almost guaranteed he is not tendered next year.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by DougDE » July 30th, 2011, 1:23 pm

In a heartbeat. SO tired of Pie being on this team. Another strike against McPhail that Pie's still here. Not that he was brought here in the 1st place, but that he's still here with his negative production years later
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by LA Detective » July 30th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Matt Angle should be in LF and leading off the rest of the year...Reimold the fulltime DH and OF against RHP or to give NM/AJ chance to rest..Lets see what we have in these two. The O's can not stand toe to toe with the best...We need to be creative...What ever happened to the Oriole Way of Pitching and DEFENSE...Thats why I am not a AM fan.. The Pie's and Atkins type should never be an Oriole..We will never out buy the best bats but we can make sure we have the most fundamental team out there. Then just let our young pitching develope.. This should be up and down the organization. We will NEVER win until we get back to that.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2011, 11:43 pm

LA Detective wrote:Matt Angle should be in LF and leading off the rest of the year...Reimold the fulltime DH and OF against RHP or to give NM/AJ chance to rest..Lets see what we have in these two. The O's can not stand toe to toe with the best...We need to be creative...What ever happened to the Oriole Way of Pitching and DEFENSE...Thats why I am not a AM fan.. The Pie's and Atkins type should never be an Oriole..We will never out buy the best bats but we can make sure we have the most fundamental team out there. Then just let our young pitching develope.. This should be up and down the organization. We will NEVER win until we get back to that.

I agree here too. DFA Pie (don't think anyone is trading for him), stick Angle in LF, and have Reimold DH. Hopefully Vlad heats up and they can deal him before the end of August.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » July 30th, 2011, 11:55 pm

I think Pie's performance coupled with the continued loss of Roberts in the lead off spot make this move a no brainer. Angle is an exceptional defender, strong accurate arm and the essence of what a lead off hitter should be. Long past time to make this move.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #8 by rjc3 » July 31st, 2011, 9:07 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think Pie's performance coupled with the continued loss of Roberts in the lead off spot make this move a no brainer. Angle is an exceptional defender, strong accurate arm and the essence of what a lead off hitter should be. Long past time to make this move.

Even if there is no power, I would definitely like to see Angle leading off with that OBP. Moves everyone back in the line up too.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles