Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Trade Candidate: Jeremy Guthrie

Trade Candidate: Jeremy Guthrie

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 26th, 2011, 11:12 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/07/27/tr ... y-guthrie/

By: Dan Sanchez

With five days remaining before the July 31st trade deadline, let's take a look at one of the Orioles' most coveted trading chips: Jeremy Guthrie.

Veteran starting pitchers are always in demand for contenders at the deadline, and Guthrie figures to be one of the five best starters who stand a realistic chance of being traded. While hurlers like Ubaldo Jimenez and James Shields might be more tempting targets with true front-of-the-rotation potential, Guthrie will require a significantly more modest haul and may be the best value candidate on the market. With an additional season of control before hitting free agency and experience against the best lineups of the AL East, acquiring Guthrie for a B-level prospect and a one or two other modest pieces could be a wise move for any contending team, especially those in the National League.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Trade Candidate: Jeremy Guthrie

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » July 27th, 2011, 12:36 pm

If we were able to get Rasmus it would be a coup for Andy. Sure you take the risk that he is a knucklehead who refuses to listen but the outfield talent would be amazing. No reason in the world for quickly flipping Jones either unless you are getting 2 ML ready talents back. Won't ever happen but its fun stuff.

We've talked about the Tigers before with Guthrie, I still believe the O's would have to get back someone like Castellanos. Plus Oliver's stuff might work in Comerica but not Camden. He's probably a year away from learning how to generate ground ball outs to make him an effective ALE pitcher.

Alonso + Box works well enough for me though I'd like to get a 2nd base prospect too. I wonder if Zack Cozart would work.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 27th, 2011, 10:11 pm

I just don't understand; O's should have been on Rasmus:

http://www.camdencrazies.com/2011-artic ... -dont.html

Edwin Jackson vs. Jeremy Guthrie

Jackson is obviously better, but the Card's would get to keep Guthrie for next year.

Octavio Dotel vs. Koji Uehara

Koji is obviously better, plus the Card's would probably get to keep him for next year.

Marc Rzepczynski vs. someone (Brad Bergesen maybe)

The former is probably better, but it's not exactly a significant difference.

So would Guthrie + Koji + Bergesen (plus maybe some minor piece if needed) for Rasmus be a good deal? You bet.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 27th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Rising O's wrote:We've talked about the Tigers before with Guthrie, I still believe the O's would have to get back someone like Castellanos. Plus Oliver's stuff might work in Comerica but not Camden. He's probably a year away from learning how to generate ground ball outs to make him an effective ALE pitcher.

Alonso + Box works well enough for me though I'd like to get a 2nd base prospect too. I wonder if Zack Cozart would work.

The problem with Guthrie is I think he is more valuable to the O's than any other team because they need the innings for him. His 200 innings per year are solid, but they wouldn't exactly put a contender over the top.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » July 28th, 2011, 9:55 am

We have a good chance of finishing with the 2nd worst record in the Majors with Guthrie. Its time for MacPhail to realize holding on to Guthrie is not in the team's long term interests. What's the worst that happens next year? We lose more games and end up with Houston's record of this year? At some point you have to bite the bullet and accept losing for eventual wins. Buy an arm then if you want to replace Guthrie, but he has to stop making excuses.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by DougDE » July 30th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Rising O's wrote:We have a good chance of finishing with the 2nd worst record in the Majors with Guthrie. Its time for MacPhail to realize holding on to Guthrie is not in the team's long term interests. What's the worst that happens next year? We lose more games and end up with Houston's record of this year? At some point you have to bite the bullet and accept losing for eventual wins. Buy an arm then if you want to replace Guthrie, but he has to stop making excuses.

I 2nd this to a T. Guthrie's innings for the next season and 2 months arent really that valuable to us, we're gonna be one of the worst in MLB with or without him. The closest we are to contention is '13 or '14
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by rjc3 » July 31st, 2011, 9:05 pm

DougDE wrote:
Rising O's wrote:We have a good chance of finishing with the 2nd worst record in the Majors with Guthrie. Its time for MacPhail to realize holding on to Guthrie is not in the team's long term interests. What's the worst that happens next year? We lose more games and end up with Houston's record of this year? At some point you have to bite the bullet and accept losing for eventual wins. Buy an arm then if you want to replace Guthrie, but he has to stop making excuses.

I 2nd this to a T. Guthrie's innings for the next season and 2 months arent really that valuable to us, we're gonna be one of the worst in MLB with or without him. The closest we are to contention is '13 or '14

It appears the O's are gearing up for next season so it makes sense that they would want Guthrie in their rotation for next season.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #8 by DougDE » August 1st, 2011, 4:34 am

Depends on your definition of "gearing up" for next season
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Baltimore Orioles