Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

No longer a fan of MacPhail, and losing hope for Jordan too.

Re: No longer a fan of MacPhail, and losing hope for Jordan

PostPost #16 by ofahn » July 25th, 2011, 5:06 pm

But he was given the resources to grab as much talent as possible. Instead of going all in at the top he spread out the money in order to add depth....but obviously not much of that has actually become depth because most of these guys have been injured or are not playing well.

Umm, no he wasn't and both Jordan and MacPhail have admitted there was a "budget". I can only imagine what they could have done with an extra 5M in each of the last three drafts before this one.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 25th, 2011, 11:11 pm

ofahn wrote:
But he was given the resources to grab as much talent as possible. Instead of going all in at the top he spread out the money in order to add depth....but obviously not much of that has actually become depth because most of these guys have been injured or are not playing well.

Umm, no he wasn't and both Jordan and MacPhail have admitted there was a "budget". I can only imagine what they could have done with an extra 5M in each of the last three drafts before this one.

They should have spent abut $3 million more in the '09 draft. Only spent about $5.3 million total.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #18 by Shorebirdfan » July 25th, 2011, 11:35 pm

I understand that the larger over slot deals never happen much before the deadline, but anyone concerned that the O's have only signed 15 picks so far? To compare Tampa has signed 8 players drafted in the first 89 picks and 34 overall. Is this a result of he lose of Bluefield? Last season we signed 39 of 49 picks. Sure from here sign Dundy, Esposito, Delmonico and just a few other key picks and you could call it successful, but with all the lower round picks I see go on to make a difference there are times I feel that the best results would come from more of a sign 'em all mentality.

So why so slow this season?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #19 by Don » July 26th, 2011, 9:13 am

To Orioles credit and discredit the Rays ability, the large landscape of the guys they picked were considered easier signs. Out of the heap of top selections, two or three were considered tough and all have not signed on the dotted line.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #20 by ofahn » July 26th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Bauer (#3 selection) has signed with Arizona which should set most of the market parameters for Bundy. It looks like the 6.5M the Pirates gave Tallion last year at #2 is a reasonable number to meet at.

I wish that Bundy would see his opportunity to use the last month of the minor league season to test his skills against professional hitters.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by rjc3 » July 26th, 2011, 3:29 pm

ofahn wrote:Bauer (#3 selection) has signed with Arizona which should set most of the market parameters for Bundy. It looks like the 6.5M the Pirates gave Tallion last year at #2 is a reasonable number to meet at.

I wish that Bundy would see his opportunity to use the last month of the minor league season to test his skills against professional hitters.

Seems about right. They need to move the deadline to July 15 next year. Benefits everyone.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #22 by dan72 » August 1st, 2011, 10:57 pm

if hitting .218 really counts as hitting at all. I'm sorry, I'm not a Reynolds fan. Give me a 25 year old pitcher that can throw mid to upper 90's all day long. I'm not a Josh bell fan either. He can not hit at the big league level either.
dan72
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #23 by docjj » August 6th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Are we better off now than when MacPhail took over? When MacPhail took over, we had absolutely nothing. No pitchers, no hitters, just the worst team on paper that I've seen.

After years of trades, draft picks, free agent signings, I think we are exactly the same as the day he took over as GM. No pitching, no hitting, no stud prospects on the farm, Nothing.

Yes, there's been a lot of bad luck, injuries, etc. But this team is as terrible as the one he inherited.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #24 by rjc3 » August 8th, 2011, 3:49 pm

docjj wrote:Are we better off now than when MacPhail took over? When MacPhail took over, we had absolutely nothing. No pitchers, no hitters, just the worst team on paper that I've seen.

After years of trades, draft picks, free agent signings, I think we are exactly the same as the day he took over as GM. No pitching, no hitting, no stud prospects on the farm, Nothing.

Yes, there's been a lot of bad luck, injuries, etc. But this team is as terrible as the one he inherited.

No pitching? I will admit that the pitching prospects haven't had huge success but they still have some potential, and none are actually busts yet.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles