Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pedro Beato is a good big league reliever

Pedro Beato is a good big league reliever

PostPost #1 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 5:58 pm

I saw this posted on the Twitter widget:

Of course we didn't know how Pedro Beato would fare in MLB, but would be nice to have him ready to come up if O's deal Koji or JJ.

Beato has put up a 3.60 FIP and 0.2 WAR for the Mets. I still cannot believe the O's left him unprotected as opposed to Pedro Florimon.

Our $12 million dollar bullpen pieces (Kevin Gregg, Mike Gonzalez) have combined for -0.7 WAR.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Pedro Beato is a good big league reliever

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 20th, 2011, 7:47 pm

rjc3 wrote:I saw this posted on the Twitter widget:

Of course we didn't know how Pedro Beato would fare in MLB, but would be nice to have him ready to come up if O's deal Koji or JJ.

Beato has put up a 3.60 FIP and 0.2 WAR for the Mets. I still cannot believe the O's left him unprotected as opposed to Pedro Florimon.

Our $12 million dollar bullpen pieces (Kevin Gregg, Mike Gonzalez) have combined for -0.7 WAR.

I was shocked that they protected Chorye Spoone this winter instead of Beato. NO ONE was going to take a chance on Spoone with his K/B ratio and coming off of an injury.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by j.q. higgins » July 20th, 2011, 11:36 pm

florimon's looked decent this year, but spoone? pedro viola? there are def some questionable roster decisions the fo has made. i think we've also seen that albers could have been useful w/ a decent infield behind him. oh, well. at least we have kevin gregg and mark hendrickson.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by rjc3 » July 21st, 2011, 12:57 pm

j.q. higgins wrote:florimon's looked decent this year, but spoone? pedro viola? there are def some questionable roster decisions the fo has made. i think we've also seen that albers could have been useful w/ a decent infield behind him. oh, well. at least we have kevin gregg and mark hendrickson.

Agreed. I can understand Spoone in '09 but not after '10 where he proved he was not a starter and if a reliever, not a great one.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » July 21st, 2011, 5:31 pm

Another of several Andy head scratchers.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by rjc3 » July 21st, 2011, 10:56 pm

I mean the guy was having CLEAR success as a reliever. C'mon Andy....

I just watched some of his highlights on MLB.com, and wow....we could use him. Everything he throws moves. Ground ball pitcher would be SO nice to have out of the bullpen.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles