Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Making Jim Johnson a starter

Making Jim Johnson a starter

PostPost #1 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 11:47 am

There was some talk on Twitter from both Brit Ghiroli and Roch Kubatko that the O's are considering moving Jim Johnson to the rotation towards the end of this season to see if he's a rotation candidate for next year.

Personally, I like the move. Johnson has real good stuff, throws hard, has great ground ball rates, and doesn't give up many free passes. I'd be all for moving Johnson into the rotation.
rjc3
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 72
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Making Jim Johnson a starter

PostPost #2 by A_K » July 20th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Jim Palmer's been talking about JJ as a starter for the better part of two years. Somewhere along the line this year, he convinced me. He's a big guy who should certainly be able to handle the workload and has the stuff to work through a lineup multiple times. His GB rates are exactly what a pitcher needs to succeed in Camden Yards, and he's had plenty of experience getting big league hitters out during his last few years pitching out of the bullpen. If he gets stretched out as a starter and struggles, you can always move him back to the pen and know that he'll succeed. It makes perfect sense to me.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Making Jim Johnson a starter

PostPost #3 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 1:21 pm

A_K wrote:Jim Palmer's been talking about JJ as a starter for the better part of two years. Somewhere along the line this year, he convinced me. He's a big guy who should certainly be able to handle the workload and has the stuff to work through a lineup multiple times. His GB rates are exactly what a pitcher needs to succeed in Camden Yards, and he's had plenty of experience getting big league hitters out during his last few years pitching out of the bullpen. If he gets stretched out as a starter and struggles, you can always move him back to the pen and know that he'll succeed. It makes perfect sense to me.

I agree, I'm just a bit concerned about the low K rate but I still think it would be a smooth transition. He has started before as well.
rjc3
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 72
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Making Jim Johnson a starter

PostPost #4 by Don » July 20th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Wait until next season. If they tinker with him now, there is reason to think that a previous injury will re-surface for what reason, to eat some innings? Bring up someone who has not worked enough this season and do not get cute and fancy by risking to destroy a promising young arm.
User avatar
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 699
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 25

Re: Making Jim Johnson a starter

PostPost #5 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Don wrote:Wait until next season. If they tinker with him now, there is reason to think that a previous injury will re-surface for what reason, to eat some innings? Bring up someone who has not worked enough this season and do not get cute and fancy by risking to destroy a promising young arm.

How many starts would you give him this year?

Not sure if you think this would be too many innings, but maybe they could slide him into the rotation if they deal Guthrie.
rjc3
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 72
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Making Jim Johnson a starter

PostPost #6 by LukeScottsShotgun » July 21st, 2011, 8:34 am

Don wrote:Wait until next season. If they tinker with him now, there is reason to think that a previous injury will re-surface for what reason, to eat some innings? Bring up someone who has not worked enough this season and do not get cute and fancy by risking to destroy a promising young arm.


Totally agree. Heck, Tillman's in AAA. I wouldn't start the transition until next year. Let Jim spend the offseason preparing to be a starter. I think his stuff is way too good to not at least see if he can be a starter. He has 4 pitches and very good command. Anybody know how his velocity was when he was a starting pitcher in the minors?
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 97
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Making Jim Johnson a starter

PostPost #7 by rjc3 » July 21st, 2011, 12:56 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:Totally agree. Heck, Tillman's in AAA. I wouldn't start the transition until next year. Let Jim spend the offseason preparing to be a starter. I think his stuff is way too good to not at least see if he can be a starter. He has 4 pitches and very good command. Anybody know how his velocity was when he was a starting pitcher in the minors?

Checked his average fastball velocity from his MLB start in 2006. Average fastball was 89 mph.

Not sure exactly though, could be lower because it was toward the end of the season. Don might know.
rjc3
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 72
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 0



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vr100 and 8 guests