Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles, Hardy Agree to Terms on Extension

Orioles, Hardy Agree to Terms on Extension

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 16th, 2011, 9:07 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/07/16/orioles-hardy-agree-to-terms-on-extension/

The Orioles and JJ Hardy have agreed to terms on a three-year extension, sources told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Hardy, 28, was thought to be a tempting trade candidate if he did not work out a deal with the club by the July 31st deadline, but the Orioles assured Hardy that he would not be flipped this season.

The deal is reported to be worth about 7.5 million per season, bringing the contract to a total of about 22.5 million through 2014. The Orioles included a partial no-trade clause in the contract, excluding a deal to 8 clubs.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles, Hardy Agree to Terms on Extension

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 16th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Not a fan.

There are a ton of teams looking for a SS, and I'm sure the Orioles could have gotten a significant return at a time when Hardy's value is as high as it will ever be.

Should have either traded him for prospects or kept him and taken the draft picks.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles, Hardy Agree to Terms on Extension

PostPost #3 by ofahn » July 16th, 2011, 9:29 pm

I think the fact that the no trade clause is limited to just eight teams is the most telling part of this contract.

If the team decides to trade him NEXT year (or even in the off season to one of the teams that think they lost by not signing Reyes but REALLY won) his value should go up because the acquiring team will know they have him through 2014 at a reasonable (at MLB prices) salary.

I would have traded him too but I see this as the second best option.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles