Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

JJ Hardy's Free Agent Status

JJ Hardy's Free Agent Status

PostPost #1 by Chapel Hill O's » July 15th, 2011, 5:04 pm

I've seen some differing information here. It seems like a lot of people on this site reference that Hardy will be a Type A after the season which could net us draft picks. However, the last MLBTR Elias updates didn't even have Hardy as a type B yet, and a commenter on Camden Crazies says Hardy is not an A or B now but may be a B by the season's end. Of course, this is irrelevant if he signs the extension. How can we be sure which type he would be?
Chapel Hill O's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: JJ Hardy's Free Agent Status

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 15th, 2011, 5:30 pm

As of July 5, Hardy is a Type A free agent.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/e ... pdate.html
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Chapel Hill O's » July 15th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Thanks- just read the comments under the MLBTR link and apparently there was an error up for a bit. Type A. Awesome
Chapel Hill O's
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 15th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Chapel Hill O's wrote:Thanks- just read the comments under the MLBTR link and apparently there was an error up for a bit. Type A. Awesome

That's the problem though. If they sign him to an extension during the season they don't get the comp. picks at the end of the year if he declines arbitration. That's why I say deal him or keep him and don't sign him to an extension so they get two high draft picks.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » July 16th, 2011, 12:26 pm

I would have been okay with any of the options we had. But they chose to sign him. 3 years around 22 million total.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by mushumbadiwadi » July 16th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Why on earth would the orioles ever sign hardy to an extension? that is the worst possible thing they could have done with him. he is an often-injured shortstop at the peak of his trade value at a primary, up-the-middle position. his injuries are only going to become more frequent as he ages and I'm skeptical as to whether he can maintain his production. Now that he has resigned, we lose a chance on two extra draft picks this year, or a quality package of prospects. is andy mcphail just trying to screw us over in his final year and then leave a new gm to clean up his huge mess? because it is certainly looking that way.
mushumbadiwadi
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 16th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Rising O's wrote:I would have been okay with any of the options we had. But they chose to sign him. 3 years around 22 million total.

Out of the following options, I like this one the least:
1) Trade him for prospects
2) Keep him, offer him arb, hope he declines and pick up two draft picks
3) extend him
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 16th, 2011, 9:10 pm

mushumbadiwadi wrote:Why on earth would the orioles ever sign hardy to an extension? that is the worst possible thing they could have done with him. he is an often-injured shortstop at the peak of his trade value at a primary, up-the-middle position. his injuries are only going to become more frequent as he ages and I'm skeptical as to whether he can maintain his production. Now that he has resigned, we lose a chance on two extra draft picks this year, or a quality package of prospects. is andy mcphail just trying to screw us over in his final year and then leave a new gm to clean up his huge mess? because it is certainly looking that way.

Couldn't agree more. He will not be part of the next good Orioles team, so they needed to move him.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles