Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Mark Reynolds Project

The Mark Reynolds Project

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » May 17th, 2011, 6:18 pm

I recently posted on what to do with Mike Gonzalez, and while he is now struggling some more, a single reliever is not the same issue as a starting 3B like Mark Reynolds right now.

Reynolds is making a difficult transition to AL pitching (as is DLee), and not well.

Reynolds line as of today (5/17) is: .191 avg., .653 OPS, 5 HRs.

His Ks are down, but as Fangraphs points out in this article, so is everything else.

His defense is also slacking. A .915 fielding percentage is pitiful, paired with a -22.8 UZR/150, the worst spot of his career so far.

Reynolds is looking bad. How long do we wait on this one? Yes, he's younger and more capable of going back to his ways than a project like Garrett Atkins, but something has to be done. He's being put down in the lineup and even benched every so often, but we will have to see how he can manage over the next weeks.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Mark Reynolds Project

PostPost #2 by Don » May 17th, 2011, 6:47 pm

I agree to an extent, but I need to see more at bats and his ability to adjust in the second or third series against the same pitchers. The other shoe to drop is that both Lee and Reynolds should provide some stability to the lineup with inter league play starting this weekend. He has picked up the power stick this week and maybe the NL opponents could be the bump he sorely needs.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by DougDE » May 18th, 2011, 2:14 am

He definetly looks bad at times (lots of times), but what are their options. I dont think Bell is an option right now, he's pretty much a clone of Reynolds. Bell switch hitting doesnt really mean much if the outcome is the same. Maybe try Ryan Adams there? I believe he's played some 3B. Would the defense be worse then Reynolds and if so would he hit better enough then Reynolds to make up for it?
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by 2131andBeyond » May 18th, 2011, 6:50 am

Don wrote:I agree to an extent, but I need to see more at bats and his ability to adjust in the second or third series against the same pitchers. The other shoe to drop is that both Lee and Reynolds should provide some stability to the lineup with inter league play starting this weekend. He has picked up the power stick this week and maybe the NL opponents could be the bump he sorely needs.

Oh, no doubt about the whole needing to see more thing. We have him for this year and next (contractually, doesn't necessarily mean he stays) for relatively low money for a young power 3B ($5MM this year, $7.5MM 2012). The interleague play coming up should help, and he's also developing for sure in the AL. I definitely wouldn't treat this like the Atkins situation, but was just pointing out that it's been over a month now and the average and power are both career lows, not like he's excelling in one area.

I'd take .190-.210 if he could start hitting two home runs every week.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles