Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Dan Klein to Pitch in Big League Game Thursday

Dan Klein to Pitch in Big League Game Thursday

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 22nd, 2011, 10:07 pm

Dan Klein, the Orioles' 3rd round selection in the 2010 MLB draft, will throw in Thursday's big league spring training game.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Dan Klein to Pitch in Big League Game Thursday

PostPost #2 by 2131andBeyond » March 22nd, 2011, 10:44 pm

This is really good news to hear. Of course he is not making the team, but why not throw out there a guy who could become a top pitching prospect in the organization this year and see what he's got.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Don » March 23rd, 2011, 9:50 am

It gives Connor the chance to see him up close and maybe help speed up the learning curve. It really never hurts for another pitching coach to see him live. It will mean better communication between the Orioles and the minor coaching staff on how to treat and advance Dan Klein into a major league pitcher.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » March 23rd, 2011, 4:37 pm

Curious with the recent announcement that he would work out of the bullpen this season. Does this mean we continue to see him in a bullpen role long term, or is this just an attempt to raise the inning threshold before moving him into a starting role next season? I feel like he and Randy Henry are the two guys the club would look at as potential MLB starters that are currently sitting in a bullpen role.

Any thoughts?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by mcpd » March 24th, 2011, 11:59 am

I think they are probably just trying to get his innings built up. I don't think he pitched alot of innings in collage. Wouldn't be surprised if he pitched long relieve alot.
mcpd
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 24th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Curious with the recent announcement that he would work out of the bullpen this season. Does this mean we continue to see him in a bullpen role long term, or is this just an attempt to raise the inning threshold before moving him into a starting role next season? I feel like he and Randy Henry are the two guys the club would look at as potential MLB starters that are currently sitting in a bullpen role.

Any thoughts?

Probably just a chance for him to face some more advanced hitters. He's working out with the A ST squad and he's much further along in his overall game then most of the hitters he's facing there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 24th, 2011, 8:58 pm

mcpd wrote:I think they are probably just trying to get his innings built up. I don't think he pitched alot of innings in collage. Wouldn't be surprised if he pitched long relieve alot.

That's likely a big part of it as well along with what Don mentioned.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles