Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Future of Matt Wieters

The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #1 by CamdenRevival » September 8th, 2010, 6:42 pm

I'm a big fan of Mr. Wieters. I think his defense is as good as the Orioles have had since CJ was behind the plate. I think he's learning the nuances of the game. And I love that opposite field power (as showcased in his HR off Ivan Nova at Yankee Stadium). And while I'm still a little miffed at Terry Crowley, we might eventually give him credit for shortening that long swing and cutting down on those Ks.

But now that Keith Law has moved his man-crush on to Jason Heyward and Matt Wieters Facts authors have gone back to Chuck Norris, the question is: assuming he stays healthy, what will we be saying about Matt Wieters in 10 years? Is he Johnny Bench (HOFer for both his offense and defense), Mike Piazza (future HOFer for his bat and he happened to catch), or Jason Varitek (probably not a HOFer, but the heart & soul for a stretch of very good Red Sox teams). With all the hype, the Varitek option feels like a bit of a letdown, but let's face it--we need that if the Orioles are going to the World Series some day.

Personally, I think his struggles at the plate are just part of the learning curve (just like his early struggles in 2009) and as long as continues to adapt, he'll be fine (which is why I'd like to see him DH more--keep giving him exposure to ML pitching). I'm expecting his career to be better than Varitek's, but I've given up hoping for Johnny Bench.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 30
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #2 by allstar1579 » September 8th, 2010, 8:06 pm

He is still every bit the stud he was in the minors, there is just a much bigger learning curve with catchers. Mauer took a little while to adjust too, just too much going on with the calling the game, defense and hitting to expect catchers to light the world on fire as a rookie. He should really start making waves next season sometime, just going to come with experience.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 162
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #3 by BuckMagic » September 9th, 2010, 12:15 am

allstar1579 wrote:He is still every bit the stud he was in the minors, there is just a much bigger learning curve with catchers. Mauer took a little while to adjust too, just too much going on with the calling the game, defense and hitting to expect catchers to light the world on fire as a rookie. He should really start making waves next season sometime, just going to come with experience.


Agreed. I think we will really see "Mauer with Power" next season.

Some have said his bat speed has slowed down a bit but I do think you're right. He's managing the pitching staff, he has two swings to work with and there's a lot of pressure on him to produce
User avatar
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 9th, 2010, 2:08 am

I don't think his bat speed has regressed. His home run today was a perfect example of his power potential. He has easy opposite field power.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #5 by 2131andBeyond » September 11th, 2010, 12:11 am

Jordan wrote:I don't think his bat speed has regressed. His home run today was a perfect example of his power potential. He has easy opposite field power.


Talking to a friend tonight who is a Mets fan, I got an outsiders perspective on Wieters. He said how people see him pin down runners and all, but constantly making uncomfortable swings and really not showing progress in terms of how he should be improving in his first full season.
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #6 by 2131andBeyond » September 11th, 2010, 12:15 am

allstar1579 wrote:He is still every bit the stud he was in the minors, there is just a much bigger learning curve with catchers. Mauer took a little while to adjust too, just too much going on with the calling the game, defense and hitting to expect catchers to light the world on fire as a rookie. He should really start making waves next season sometime, just going to come with experience.


That's an iffy statement about Mauer. He has never hit under .293 in a season, let alone .294 is what he hit his first full season of131 games. He even hit .308 in 35 games and 107 ABs his first time called up. While Wieters did well last September, he isn't putting up the first full year numbers like Mauer. While he already has 2 more HRs than Mauer did that season, and is on pace for more RBIs, his walk numbers are down, strikeouts up, and OBP is not as high as some would hope it would be.
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #7 by 2131andBeyond » September 11th, 2010, 12:21 am

CamdenRevival wrote:I'm a big fan of Mr. Wieters. I think his defense is as good as the Orioles have had since CJ was behind the plate. I think he's learning the nuances of the game. And I love that opposite field power (as showcased in his HR off Ivan Nova at Yankee Stadium). And while I'm still a little miffed at Terry Crowley, we might eventually give him credit for shortening that long swing and cutting down on those Ks.

But now that Keith Law has moved his man-crush on to Jason Heyward and Matt Wieters Facts authors have gone back to Chuck Norris, the question is: assuming he stays healthy, what will we be saying about Matt Wieters in 10 years? Is he Johnny Bench (HOFer for both his offense and defense), Mike Piazza (future HOFer for his bat and he happened to catch), or Jason Varitek (probably not a HOFer, but the heart & soul for a stretch of very good Red Sox teams). With all the hype, the Varitek option feels like a bit of a letdown, but let's face it--we need that if the Orioles are going to the World Series some day.

Personally, I think his struggles at the plate are just part of the learning curve (just like his early struggles in 2009) and as long as continues to adapt, he'll be fine (which is why I'd like to see him DH more--keep giving him exposure to ML pitching). I'm expecting his career to be better than Varitek's, but I've given up hoping for Johnny Bench.



I definitely know catchers have more growing to do because of, well, catching, as opposed to like a left fielder or 2nd baseman. But I agree that it's just not coming in due time. I get concerned when he has his long (meaning weeks, and multiple times this year) streaks of all groundouts, popouts, and strikeouts, with no hits or walks mixed in much.
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #8 by THECavalry » September 11th, 2010, 12:45 am

2131andBeyond wrote:That's an iffy statement about Mauer. He has never hit under .293 in a season, let alone .294 is what he hit his first full season of131 games. He even hit .308 in 35 games and 107 ABs his first time called up. While Wieters did well last September, he isn't putting up the first full year numbers like Mauer. While he already has 2 more HRs than Mauer did that season, and is on pace for more RBIs, his walk numbers are down, strikeouts up, and OBP is not as high as some would hope it would be.


Wieters is ALREADY the number 1 defensive catcher in the AL, if not the majors. If he produces like he has this year, he's already an average big league. People don't realize how valuable that is. Wieters has walked in more than 10% of his at-bats this year and his strikeout rate has fallen since last season, meaning his plate discipline his improved a LOT. Daniel Moroz mentioned on his site that Wieters would have an .860 something OPS if he had the same BABIP as last season. Wieters has been really unlucky this season. He's also hit .300 since June 8th and has a .850 something OPS. People don't realize how hard it is to do what Wieters is doing. He has a lot of work on his hands. He'll be fine and just as good as people expected.
THECavalry
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 7
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #9 by Traveldawg69 » September 11th, 2010, 1:59 am

I cannot speak to the numbers but I can speak to what I have witnessed. His plate confidence (both behind and AB) appear to be improving. I see a rock solid definsive catcher that has become more consistent with his AB and is doing a great job with his pitches middle-out and hitting to the opp field. My crystal ball is out for repairs but quite frankly if we continue to see improvement in his game and the O's play this well to start the 2011 season, the Matt Weiters we have will shine like a HOFer in my book.
Traveldawg69
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 8
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #10 by FakeDaveTrembly » September 11th, 2010, 2:45 am

He will be mostly Veritek with a side of Mauer. He's what?24?Some guys take off like a rocket at that age,some guys hit it 2 years later,and,of course,some not at all. If he was with a pennant contender i suspect his offense would have been better but his progress has been stymied by playing for a bad team with no protection in lineup. He's already a defensive stud and the O will come when he's on a better constructed team. And if he is only Veritek,what's wrong with that? That guy isn't a HOF but ask any BoSox fan how important he was during the 00's Sox teams.
FakeDaveTrembly
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 1
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #11 by allstar1579 » September 11th, 2010, 9:15 am

2131andBeyond wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:He is still every bit the stud he was in the minors, there is just a much bigger learning curve with catchers. Mauer took a little while to adjust too, just too much going on with the calling the game, defense and hitting to expect catchers to light the world on fire as a rookie. He should really start making waves next season sometime, just going to come with experience.


That's an iffy statement about Mauer. He has never hit under .293 in a season, let alone .294 is what he hit his first full season of131 games. He even hit .308 in 35 games and 107 ABs his first time called up. While Wieters did well last September, he isn't putting up the first full year numbers like Mauer. While he already has 2 more HRs than Mauer did that season, and is on pace for more RBIs, his walk numbers are down, strikeouts up, and OBP is not as high as some would hope it would be.


But your defense for that is based on one statistic, BA. That is about all Mauer did his first year or two. It took him a couple seasons to really put it together. You are taking it too much at face value, I didn't say he'd be the kind of player Mauer was, just that it would take him a couple years to adjust like him. It's apples and oranges. Mauer is a high AVG, high OBP guy with a little pop (now). MW is a power bat, that should hit in the high .200-low .300s, and with any power bat is going to K more than a high BB guy. Give him time, people have to temper their expectations a bit with a horrible team.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 162
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #12 by DougDE » September 11th, 2010, 1:22 pm

There was way too much hype on this kid when he was coming up, but I think he will be a solid above-average major leaguer. He's not Mauer, I wish those comparisons would go away. He's the O's Matt Wieters. I like his defense, and think he handles a pitcher okay. He's had a lot on his shoulders really since the time he was drafted and I think he's done adequately and will get better as it becomes more routine for him
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: The Future of Matt Wieters

PostPost #13 by allstar1579 » September 11th, 2010, 4:57 pm

DougDE wrote:There was way too much hype on this kid when he was coming up, but I think he will be a solid above-average major leaguer. He's not Mauer, I wish those comparisons would go away. He's the O's Matt Wieters. I like his defense, and think he handles a pitcher okay. He's had a lot on his shoulders really since the time he was drafted and I think he's done adequately and will get better as it becomes more routine for him


There is still too much hype around a lot of our prospects around here. Some of that is just because we are so starved to build a winning team that we get way to optimistic at the slightest chance of turning a corner.

That being said, MW is legit, but not every rookie can tear the world apart in their first couple seasons.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 162
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rising O's and 6 guests

cron