Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

turnaround

Re: turnaround

PostPost #31 by mikezpen » August 9th, 2014, 9:35 am

Hard to believe they were 26-27 and 5-6 games out at one point.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #32 by Rising O's » August 9th, 2014, 8:55 pm

It is amazing. The flaws are there that can trip them up in a playoff series to be sure. But if the starters continue to dominate we can beat anyone
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #33 by Rising O's » August 12th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Its good to smash the Yankees. A sweep would be sweet. No playoffs for Jeter.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #34 by Old Sneakers » August 16th, 2014, 7:55 am

Matusz, Jiminez and Hunter (in that order) still scare the hell out of me. I understand Gausman is still likely to be a big part of the Orioles future but he's not living up to what he was advertized when drafted. He's too hitable at present. Fortunately he's been stingy with surrendering HRs and it's saved him. Strike out totals aren't everything but you would also hope he'd miss a few more bats. Beyond this yes the team's pitching has been far better. The season is wearing on. Can they hold up?

I still do not get why Jemile Weeks is in Norfolk and not starting at 2B 4 out of 5 games. It just seems to me the run production would surely go up.

I am somewhat shocked that the situation at Catcher hasn't crippled the team. One injury and everything could change here.

Truthfully there are still a ton of things that could cost the team the division. Could even cost them a wild card. It's that time of year wear the grind of it all really wears on players. Let's say they pull it out and keep the division. How far exactly do you see them going? When I look at the American League I look at the Angels as a team to fear.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #35 by osforlife » August 16th, 2014, 12:13 pm

-Tommy Hunter has been a solid reliever this year for Baltimore. His peripherals are even better than last year. His 0.6 HR/9 is really impressive, considering that's less than half of what is career mark is. 2015 is his last year under Oriole control.

-Brian Matusz sucks. Oh well. He'll probably be a non-tender candidate this off-season. If he wants too much money..see ya. LOOGYs are easy to find. He was the highest drafted pitcher of the Orioles cavalry (Matusz, Tillman, Britton, Arrieta), and he's the one finding the least amount of success right now. Arrieta's been a stud in Chicago, but I'm intent that he was never going to succeed with Baltimore. He had a 6.5 BB/9 with the Orioles before they traded him. Whether that was his fault of the coach's fault, I don't know. Tillman will never be an ace, but he's a middle of the rotation innings eater (I'd never thought I'd say that about Chris Tillman). He has the 12th most innings pitched in the American League. Sonny Gray and Garret Richards are the only pitchers younger than him that have more innings pitched. Plus, Tillman is only a month older than Richards, and Gray is going to get shut down soon. Britton never succeeded as a starter, but found his niche in the bullpen.

-Caleb Joseph deserves more credit than I've given him. I was very skeptical at first, because he was always considered a poor defender, and he hadn't even shown he could hit AAA pitching yet. But, after a brutal first month, he has hit well for a catcher and has played excellent defense. I'm not really sure what all the scouts all these years have been looking at, because they sure missed this. Joseph has a 1.7 WAR over 56 games, which translates out to a 4.25 WAR over 140 games. And, he has a .248 BABIP which is likely to rise. Wieters has one year left on his contract, and he's coming off TJ surgery, so trading him wouldn't be logical. But I'd want Joseph to play everyday too. Hundley will be gone next year, so maybe Wieters and Clevenger in Baltimore, with Joseph in AAA?

Jemile Weeks should have been in Baltimore a long time ago. Schoop sucks. Maybe he'll be better in the future, but this is not his time. Flaherty is awful too. Non-tender candidate this off-season? I'd like to see Cord Phelps get some at-bats. He's been smoking hot in AAA.

The Orioles are 7.5 games in first. I'm not worried about anything yet. The Rays aren't as scary without Price. Without May, the Bluejays are 42-51. My philosophy is, get into the playoffs, and anything can happen from there.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #36 by osforlife » August 16th, 2014, 12:14 pm

-Tommy Hunter has been a solid reliever this year for Baltimore. His peripherals are even better than last year. His 0.6 HR/9 is really impressive, considering that's less than half of what is career mark is. 2015 is his last year under Oriole control.

-Brian Matusz sucks. Oh well. He'll probably be a non-tender candidate this off-season. If he wants too much money..see ya. LOOGYs are easy to find. He was the highest drafted pitcher of the Orioles cavalry (Matusz, Tillman, Britton, Arrieta), and he's the one finding the least amount of success right now. Arrieta's been a stud in Chicago, but I'm intent that he was never going to succeed with Baltimore. He had a 6.5 BB/9 with the Orioles before they traded him. Whether that was his fault of the coach's fault, I don't know. Tillman will never be an ace, but he's a middle of the rotation innings eater (I'd never thought I'd say that about Chris Tillman). He has the 12th most innings pitched in the American League. Sonny Gray and Garret Richards are the only pitchers younger than him that have more innings pitched. Plus, Tillman is only a month older than Richards, and Gray is going to get shut down soon. Britton never succeeded as a starter, but found his niche in the bullpen.

-Caleb Joseph deserves more credit than I've given him. I was very skeptical at first, because he was always considered a poor defender, and he hadn't even shown he could hit AAA pitching yet. But, after a brutal first month, he has hit well for a catcher and has played excellent defense. I'm not really sure what all the scouts all these years have been looking at, because they sure missed this. Joseph has a 1.7 WAR over 56 games, which translates out to a 4.25 WAR over 140 games. And, he has a .248 BABIP which is likely to rise. Wieters has one year left on his contract, and he's coming off TJ surgery, so trading him wouldn't be logical. But I'd want Joseph to play everyday too. Hundley will be gone next year, so maybe Wieters and Clevenger in Baltimore, with Joseph in AAA?

Jemile Weeks should have been in Baltimore a long time ago. Schoop sucks. Maybe he'll be better in the future, but this is not his time. Flaherty is awful too. Non-tender candidate this off-season? I'd like to see Cord Phelps get some at-bats. He's been smoking hot in AAA.

The Orioles are 7.5 games in first. I'm not worried about anything yet. The Rays aren't as scary without Price. Without May, the Bluejays are 42-51. My philosophy is, get into the playoffs, and anything can happen from there.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #37 by Rising O's » August 17th, 2014, 11:08 am

Hunter has some value due to his ability to go multiple innings.

Matusz? He is dead weight on a team that cannot afford his margin of error.

3 games in a row where the offense is shutdown. Its time to bring up anyone for 2nd. They desperately need any little boost thet can get
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #38 by Rising O's » August 19th, 2014, 9:50 pm

On the cusp of being 20 games over and in great position to win the east since 1997?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #39 by Rising O's » August 20th, 2014, 11:30 pm

Oh after there win yesterday with 3 walks, they were back to their old ways tonight. Hack and hope you connect baseball. 20 games over.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #40 by Old Sneakers » August 21st, 2014, 12:27 am

I know we are still a long ways off. But, who do you fear more? The Angels or Tigers?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #41 by Rising O's » August 21st, 2014, 12:36 pm

We seem to do well vs the angels. Tigers have years of playoff disappointments on their back. Get up a game and they may crumble.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #42 by Rising O's » August 21st, 2014, 9:13 pm

Richards out for the Angels helps.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #43 by dan72 » August 22nd, 2014, 10:00 pm

While the A's are struggling after the Cespedes trade with Boston, they are the team that seems to have our number.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #44 by Old Sneakers » August 23rd, 2014, 2:21 pm

With Machado needing knee surgery for the second year in a row. It's a good reminder we haven't won the division yet.

Putting Jiminez in the pen was the right move. He's just too inconsistent. Thankfully so far this team really has had SP Depth.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #45 by Rising O's » August 28th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Without Machado the Orioles are going to struggle like earlier in the year. But the starting pitching and pen are much better now than then. Definitely a downgrade without Manny, offensively and defensively.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles