Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

turnaround

turnaround

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » July 8th, 2014, 1:00 pm

3 game lead in the AL East over two teams that may not be able to challenge for 1st. Toronto's injuries are having a major impact on the team. The Yankees look to be old without the youth necessary to provide a spark.

Norris returns tonight and we look to his continued success as the starting pitching rebounds after early season struggles.

Machado is key to the offensive resurgence because the team needs another top of the order threat. We will not survive on home runs alone.

They can still use another bullpen arm IMO.

A few weeks ago I was unsure about this team. The season was filled with momentum killing loses and streaks. Even when they lost 3 of 4 to TB at home.
I have seen very little live action this year but am hoping the playoffs changes that.

How have they gotten this three game lead and how can they maintain it?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Re: turnaround

PostPost #2 by osforlife » July 9th, 2014, 11:53 am

Well first of all, the AL EAST is very weak this year. Every team has major flaws. Nothing has gone right for the Redsox. The Yankees might finally be figuring out that buying and buying and buying new older players will not produce a very good team. The Bluejays have a few stars, but otherwise are pretty mediocre. The Rays are the team I am most scared about in the division. They might start creeping up the standings soon.

The team clicked in June, producing a 3.43 ERA and a .784 OPS. That's carried over into July. In order to maintain this production, Baltimore needs Chris Davis to produce like he's capable of, which will counteract the inevitable declines for Pearce and Young, and to an extent, Nelson Cruz. They also need a starting pitcher, whether that's Ubaldo Jimenez, Miguel Gonzalez, or Kevin Gausman, to counteract the inevitable decline of Bud Norris. I wouldn't waste any resources on the pitching staff. Baltimore is nine deep in the bullpen and seven deep in the rotation. What they need is a second baseman.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » July 15th, 2014, 7:45 pm

They continue to win series now even if the team is less than perfect. The pitching has become reliable on a nightly basis.

Davis started to expand his zone last year in the 2nd half and it continues.

There are a few options at AAA for 2nd base.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » July 19th, 2014, 7:45 pm

An awful loss last night as Britton groves one after two get on with weakly hit singles. Its a loss that can have a carryover effect.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » July 20th, 2014, 7:13 am

Rising O's wrote:An awful loss last night as Britton groves one after two get on with weakly hit singles. Its a loss that can have a carryover effect.

So much for carryover effect. O's win 8 to 4 next night.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » July 23rd, 2014, 11:52 pm

The pen blows again. Takes a sweep away from the jaws of victory
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by osforlife » July 24th, 2014, 9:18 am

Rising O's wrote:The pen blows again. Takes a sweep away from the jaws of victory

Disappointing loss last night, but Baltimore is still 3-3 so far on this road-trip against the two best teams in baseball. I'll take it.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » July 24th, 2014, 1:29 pm

The pen to me is the second biggest weakness for this team. They continually blow momentum. They have only one reliable arm in O'Day. This should be the primary focus for the trade deadline because its the cheapest to fix.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » July 24th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Does Jim Johnson return to Baltimore?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » July 24th, 2014, 3:30 pm

I believe any team with a record worse then the Orioles gets the first shot, if he is put on waivers.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #11 by Rising O's » July 25th, 2014, 4:05 pm

9 more days and Johnson will be a free agent. Hard to see any team trading for him. Any bad blood? And any chance he would sign a minor league deal to work on mechanics.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by osforlife » July 25th, 2014, 5:53 pm

No one will claim JJ with that contract. I suppose a number of teams will be interesting bringing him in on a minor league deal, considering he's only 31 and did pitch to a 2.77 ERA from 2009-2012. A minor league deal can't hurt, and I'm sure he'd like to come back to Baltimore. Things look like they could get a little better for JJ, as his 5.30 FIP, 4.60 xFIP, and 4.29 SIERA are better than his 6.92 ERA. I'm not really sure what happened to his control; 5.13 BB/9. He's never posted a walk rate above 3.67 before this season.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » July 26th, 2014, 8:39 am

An effective Johnson would really help balance the pen. We need a third guy.

Other than those two late blown leads the pitching has been phenomenal. This could have been a 7-1 road trip with two to go. 7-3 trip would be nice too with a sweep of the mariners.

Matusz when drafted had a plus change-up. But he clearly overthrows vs rights. No confidence in it and so it typically is very hittable. I bring this up because the NY team has a new starting staff since opening day and these rookies pitch like #2 starters. Frustrating because our system is still not developing enough players.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » July 30th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Jon Lester for two months? And maybe a run at a championship?

Personally I feel the Orioles should focus on a few parts and leave the future rotation alone.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Rising O's » July 31st, 2014, 2:18 pm

Britton will be a wildcard in the playoffs. He was overthrowing last night instead of trusting the stuff.

Matt Wieters who? These catchers are doing the job
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles