Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2014 Trade Deadline

2014 Trade Deadline

PostPost #1 by osforlife » July 1st, 2014, 9:21 am

It's now July, and the Orioles are just one game out of first place despite an unimpressive .524 winning percentage. As with any contending team, rumors have been swirling around the Orioles. Experts say Baltimore could use upgrades at catcher (.695 OPS, but that number is aided by Wieters' .839 mark), second base (.613 OPS, 25th in baseball), and the pitching staff(3.95 ERA, 20th in baseball).

Catcher- Baltimore is very stubborn about keeping Caleb Joseph around, even though he has shown that he is god awful at hitting. I would send him down and teach him how to hit. Steve Clevenger is knocking on the door and deserves to be up in Baltimore. Nick Hundley is a veteran presence that the FO most likely wants to keep around. Defensively sound Brian Ward is also in Norfolk, doing fairly well. I doubt the Orioles make a move here. Wieters will be back next year, so that limits the candidates to rentals only. Considering the Orioles have the depth, I think improvements at the catcher position will be made through own personal strides, not external additions.

Second Base- I don't think the Orioles want to come to the conclusion that they were wrong about Jonathan Schoop yet. He has a dreadful .606 OPS, including a .266 OBP. Flaherty has continued to prove that he does not belong in the majors either, as he is sporting a .588 OPS. Send them both down for heaven's sake. Jemile Weeks has a .412 OBP in the minors, and is on the 40-man roster. This is the one place where I wouldn't mind an addition. Available second basemen probably include Martin Prado, Aaron Hill, Didi Gregorius, Luis Valbuena, Mike Aviles, Dustin Ackley, Nick Franklin, Daniel Murphy, Eric Young, Everth Cabrera, Chase Utley, Josh Harrison, Ben Zobrist, and Gordon Beckham. Before making a move, however, I would see how Jemile Weeks does in full-time action.

Pitching- As Lance Rinker suggested, Zach McAllister is a very appealing piece to acquire. But other than that, I think the same can be said about the starting rotation as the catcher position. The depth is there, it's just the quality has yet to come. Ubaldo Jimenez just pitched eight scoreless innings last night. Chris Tillman has only allowed five earned runs in his last 28 innings. We've seen these pitchers do well, I think we just have to wait and see how they do. Improvements here will come from personal strides, not external additions.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: 2014 Trade Deadline

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » July 1st, 2014, 2:34 pm

The pen where they need more stability. It feels like every pitcher has cost the team a win or two this season.

Matusz is dead weight. Maybe Hunter no longer a closer will rebound. Gonzalez I feel is not healthy.

Go USA soccer
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » July 2nd, 2014, 7:22 am

osforlife wrote:Catcher- Baltimore is very stubborn about keeping Caleb Joseph around, even though he has shown that he is god awful at hitting. I would send him down and teach him how to hit.

This statement made me laugh. This is the major leagues not T-ball. It just doesn't work that way.

The glaring problem with the Orioles other than Markakis is that the left handed bats are killing the Orioles. Lough has been relegated to being a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner. Flaherty is Flaherty. Chris Davis leads the world in strike outs.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by osforlife » July 3rd, 2014, 11:38 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
This statement made me laugh. This is the major leagues not T-ball. It just doesn't work that way.

It's just an expression. He's not hitting well at all. I think he should go to AAA and show he can hit AAA pitching first.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles