Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Johan Santana Tears Achilles Tendon, Out For Season

Johan Santana Tears Achilles Tendon, Out For Season

PostPost #1 by osforlife » June 7th, 2014, 11:25 am

Orioles hurler Johan Santana has torn his achilles tendon and will miss the season, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (Twitter links). Baltimore had signed Santana to a minor league deal that included a $3MM base salary and up to $5.05MM in incentives.

The Orioles had just purchased Santana’s contract and moved him to the 15-day DL as he completed his rehab from left shoulder surgery. With Santana no longer an option, executive VP Dan Duquette says that the club will look to add depth over the summer, possibly via trade.

This is a shame. I was looking forward to seeing Johan pitch. Still, I loved this signing. No team makes it through the year with five starters. Signing a major league starter that should be ready half way through the season, but still starting the year with five major league starters, is brilliant in my mind.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Johan Santana Tears Achilles Tendon, Out For Season

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » June 7th, 2014, 12:37 pm

Sometimes you have to say to yourself "It was all just too good to be true"

Thus is the way of aging players. Santana would have been a nice boost.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

Re: Johan Santana Tears Achilles Tendon, Out For Season

PostPost #3 by osforlife » June 24th, 2014, 9:39 am

Even with Johan out, I still think the O's rotation depth is enviable, although it's not quite the quality one would like. Out of the main five that started the season with the team, they have stayed reasonably healthy.

Chris Tillman; 91 IP, 4.45 ERA, 4.58 FIP, 1.462 WHIP, 1.54 K/BB
Ubaldo Jimenez; 81.2 IP, 4.63 ERA, 4.77 FIP, 1.555 WHIP, 1.39 K/BB
Miguel Gonzalez; 63.1 IP, 4.41 ERA, 4.73 FIP, 1.421 WHIP, 2.39 K/BB
Bud Norris; 87 IP, 3.62 ERA, 4.48 FIP, 1.161 WHIP, 2.14 K/BB
Wei Yin Chen; 89 IP, 3.84 ERA, 3.97 FIP, 1.247 WHIP, 4.50 K/BB

Norris has a pretty ERA, but he's benefiting from a .253 BABIP, so it will regress. Chen has pitched like a solid middle of the rotation starter, and he's probably gone under the radar a bit. The top three haven't been good, but I don't think they deserve a demotion either. I don't think outside factors are needed to replace them, they just need to pitch better.

Kevin Gausman has been a very valuable 6th starter, and he looks like he's ready for the show. Dylan Bundy is also rehabbing through the minors. I doubt a six-man rotation will ever take place, but I think the O's depth is fine. The quality just has to improve.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles