Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who occupies the outfield next season?

Who occupies the outfield next season?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » May 31st, 2014, 12:59 pm

Alex just wrote a very good piece on Nick Markakis' fall from stardom. He mentions that the Orioles have an option on Markakis for $17.5MM next season. That should surely be declined. Nelson Cruz and Delmon Young are also free agents at the end of the season. Obviously, Adam Jones will handle center field for many years after this one. But the corners are another story, and are question marks heading into 2015 right now. Internal candidates;

1. I still have hope in David Lough, although he has been awful so far. He's under control through the 2019 season and still plays wicked defense. He's hit AAA pitching, and showed he can hit major league pitching last year. I think he'll turn it around and be a force in Baltimore's outfield...but if not..

2. Steve Pearce is a very good bench player. He plays above average defense, has pop, and kills LHP. Unfortunately, he is not a starter, but I look forward to keeping him around for the next few years.

3. Nolan Reimold should probably just retire. I'm not really sure why Duquette didn't non-tender him. He should not be included in the Orioles' future plans.

4. Francisco Peguero is currently on a rehab assignment and is hitting well in the minors. It's clear Baltimore wants to keep him, but doesn't have room for him in the majors. He's out of options, so this situation could be tricky down the road. I'd be fine with replacing Delmon Young with Peguero.

5. Henry Urrutia has been hurt most of the year, and didn't play well when he was healthy. With some more minor league experience, the Orioles should be able to tell if Urrutia can stick in a corner outfield spot or not.

6. Dariel Alvarez has hit exceptionally well for the Baysox. He is 25, but production is production. He's been playing CF for the Baysox, which is intriguing. If he can handle center, he could handle a corner spot. A promotion to Norfolk might happen soon..

7. Quintin Berry, Julio Borbon, and Xavier Paul are all playing well for the Tides, but they are all approaching 30 years old, and have serious flaws in their game. They could all make helpful fourth outfielders, but any team with one of these guys as a starter, isn't very good.

Some prominent 2015 free agent outfielders include Melky Cabrera, Chris Denorfia, and Norichika Aoki
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Who occupies the outfield next season?

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » May 31st, 2014, 9:19 pm

Anything wrong with not doing the option on Markakis and then sign him to a 3 year deal at about 10 per year?

I've come to the conclusion that there is a reason Lough spent so many years in the minors and that last year was a complete farce for him. He's as bad as any hitter I can remember. Does not use his speed at all to get on base. hits too many weak lazy fly balls.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Who occupies the outfield next season?

PostPost #3 by ljmillar22 » June 2nd, 2014, 4:43 pm

Just had a quick look at the FA market for outfielders and its slim pickings as well.
I would like to re-sign Cruz but think that he is going to want alot of money especially considering the year he is having, I wouldn't re-sign any of the others, I agree with eagles about Markakis.
Anyone on the trade market that would be appealing?
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles