Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The great Jeff Samardzija rumor of 2014

The great Jeff Samardzija rumor of 2014

PostPost #1 by Old Sneakers » May 29th, 2014, 1:25 am

This rumor can be chalked up to Dan Connolly of the Baltmore Sun. I will not link to it as it's not worth a nickle. But here is the link to http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/baltimore-orioles

Basically we give up two high end prospects for a year and a half of solid SP rental. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sama

To which I say "Stuff it!"

The team's SP has largely been as good as it has been as a group in decades. I think this is the trumpet that heralds another era of endless rebuilding through the draft. Sure the rotation might get a tad better. But it won't help this team manufacture runs.

What say you?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Re: The great Jeff Samardzija rumor of 2014

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » May 29th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Actually it all started from a reporter in Chicago. Connolly just passed on what they said. It was all over Baltimore talk radio yesterday before Connolly even reported it.

Jon Heyman had the Orioles close to a deal with Kendrys Morales 3 weeks ago. Duquette quickly squashed that rumor saying he hadn't talked to anyone about Morales since the winter meetings. I don't believe anything about trade rumors until the deal is done.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » May 29th, 2014, 3:02 pm

....Or how about Baltimore keeps its "wealth of pitching prospects", be patient, develop them correctly, and constantly pump talent from the minors into the majors like the Rays have been doing for years, and have been constantly better than the Orioles in the win-loss record.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by mikezpen » May 31st, 2014, 1:54 am

O's shouldn't do it.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by osforlife » May 31st, 2014, 11:31 am

The thing about Samardzija, is the best part of his year has already happened. 75 innings of 1.68 ERA is going to be the best section of his year. Although, his peripherals are still good, his FIP (2.79) is more than a run higher than his ERA (1.68), so regression will come. For the remaining 125 innings or so of his year, Samardzija could pitch like an average pitcher, say a 4.00 ERA, and still finish with a 3.15 ERA. That would still be good for one of the best pitchers in the league. Hell, his 2012/2013 ERA was 4.10. Samardzija could pitch to a 5.472 ERA for the rest of the year and still finish with a 4.05 ERA, .05 points better than his last two seasons. What's more likely, he continues to pitch like he has been, or he regresses? How much of an upgrade will he really be? I understand the Orioles would control him for another season, but the objective of this trade would most likely to help the Orioles win now, which I'm not sure it would do a very good job of doing. Samardzija is a great pitcher. He's not an ace, but he's very good. He just doesn't have to be good the rest of the year in order to have a good year. Think Matt Garza in 2013. He pitched better than he is for the Cubs, and the Rangers paid the price.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles