Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Padres, Orioles Swap Troy Patton, Nick Hundley

Padres, Orioles Swap Troy Patton, Nick Hundley

PostPost #1 by osforlife » May 24th, 2014, 5:24 pm

The Orioles have announced the trade of lefty reliever Troy Patton to the Padres for catcher Nick Hundley and cash considerations. The Orioles also promoted Steve Lombardozzi from Triple-A Norfolk.

With Matt Wieters on the disabled list, the O’s were playing Steve Clevenger and Caleb Joseph behind the dish. They had been rumored to be shopping Patton for another option at catcher.

Hundley, 30, hit .271/.271/.373 in 59 plate appearances for the Padres this season. In his absence, the Padres will go with Yasmani Grandal and Rene Rivera at catcher. Hundley got 408 plate appearances in 2013, hitting .233/.290/.389. He is in the last year of a three-year, $9MM deal that pays him $4MM in 2014, which likely partially explains why the Orioles are receiving cash in the trade. Hundley’s contract also contains a $5MM option for 2015, with no buyout.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/05/p ... atton.html

Here's Showalter on the trade; http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/05/s ... -deal.html
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Padres, Orioles Swap Troy Patton, Nick Hundley

PostPost #2 by osforlife » May 24th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Padres get two years and four months of a very respectable reliever, one who has piled up 149 relief innings over the last five years, pitching to a 3.26 ERA/3.73 FIP. Patton was somewhat of an excess, but the left handed pitching stockpile isn't as impressive as I think some people think it is.

Matusz is a decent LOOGY, but he's getting paid $2.4MM this year, and has two more years of arbitration left. Hitters are getting 4.9 H/9 off of Zach Britton. He won't pitch to a 0.70 ERA forever. McFarland is an average LHRP right now, but he doesn't have much upside, at least from what I've seen. Kelvin De La Cruz and Chris Jones are struggling at AAA. Mike Belfiore was DFA'd and now pitches for the Rangers. Zach Fowler no longer pitches for the organization. Trent Howard has yet to pitch this season. Andy Loomis is hurt.

Hundley is not good enough to be a starter, but he's also better than most back-ups. I'll be interested to see what he brings to the table. Joseph wasn't ready for the majors. I'm thinking Wieters is getting Tommy John...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » May 24th, 2014, 6:08 pm

osforlife wrote:I'm thinking Wieters is getting Tommy John...

That's really sad if that has to happen. You can tell he worked really hard this off season, especially from the left side.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » May 25th, 2014, 7:02 pm

osforlife wrote:Padres get two years and four months of a very respectable reliever, one who has piled up 149 relief innings over the last five years, pitching to a 3.26 ERA/3.73 FIP. Patton was somewhat of an excess, but the left handed pitching stockpile isn't as impressive as I think some people think it is.

Matusz is a decent LOOGY, but he's getting paid $2.4MM this year, and has two more years of arbitration left. Hitters are getting 4.9 H/9 off of Zach Britton. He won't pitch to a 0.70 ERA forever. McFarland is an average LHRP right now, but he doesn't have much upside, at least from what I've seen. Kelvin De La Cruz and Chris Jones are struggling at AAA. Mike Belfiore was DFA'd and now pitches for the Rangers. Zach Fowler no longer pitches for the organization. Trent Howard has yet to pitch this season. Andy Loomis is hurt.

Hundley is not good enough to be a starter, but he's also better than most back-ups. I'll be interested to see what he brings to the table. Joseph wasn't ready for the majors. I'm thinking Wieters is getting Tommy John...

Trent Howard was released
Also forgot Jason Gurka
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by osforlife » June 24th, 2014, 9:27 am

It appears Baltimore has traded the wrong lefty. Patton has a 8.00 K/BB for the Padres, and he has two more years of control after 2014. Matusz is more expensive, and has been pretty bad. When deciding between Matusz and Patton, it seems more logical to me to trade the more expensive LHRP, who was coming off a better season, and had a more prominent prospect back-round.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 10th, 2014, 5:01 pm

osforlife wrote:It appears Baltimore has traded the wrong lefty. Patton has a 8.00 K/BB for the Padres, and he has two more years of control after 2014. Matusz is more expensive, and has been pretty bad. When deciding between Matusz and Patton, it seems more logical to me to trade the more expensive LHRP, who was coming off a better season, and had a more prominent prospect back-round.

I agree with your logic and am surprised that Matusz is still on this team.

That being said, SD has a reputation for finding quality relievers. I think there's a fair chance they got the player they wanted.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles