Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Nearing the Quarter Mark

Nearing the Quarter Mark

PostPost #1 by LA Detective » May 16th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Observations:

Three 2013 All Stars in our line up combining for 3 Homers. Hitters usually even out. Only can go up here.

Disappointed in AJ. Yes a very good player but I thought he would take that next step by improving just a little in pitch selection. His OBA is 13 points higher than his Ave. This is horrible. Great hitters don't have this split. Why does he think he can? If he could of got it up to a 45 point split (which is still poor for a power hitter) I think he could be a .300 hitter and MVP candidate. Never hits in a hitter's count. This will show up even more if we are in the playoffs.

NickM is on his way to making the end of the season decisions hard. Option wise or extension.

I do believe coaching matters. Our hitters have the same approach as their batting coach, which wasn't good when he played. I do believe a change should be considered. The plan to what approach to take at the plate is simply not working.

I believe Ryan F should go down to AAA and get 150 or so ABs that he has needed for two years. I still believe he will be needed at more than utility and this could get him to a .270+ batting line.

Cant believe our scouts were this wrong about Lough. Swings like the bad "Willie Mays Hayes." And he can't bunt??? If he could get to .265 it would be ok. He needs to play enough to keep Cruz fresh and injury free. Wish he could go down and get straight, but out of options. Concerned here.

I would like to see a little more of the Joseph kid. Was it just a great game the other day or is this guy an impact Defender?

I think Hunter is a big time Pen arm but I never felt comfortable with him closing. Even before last night, I believe with Britton closing it sets our Pen up better. This could turn into a strength. Also, if you look at the innings they have been spread around evenly pretty much. Last year at this time Hunter and JJ were on pace for 100 innings. Our pen was worn out. We are on a pretty good pace to stay fresh all year.

SP is getting a bit better with the emergence of Jimenez. He and Tilman can provide a good 1-2. And there is help on the way. Don't count Gausman's start. It was on 3 days rest and his arm didn't respond. He was throwing in the low 90s after the 2nd inning. He will be back and will be a big part of our chances to win our division and go deep in the playoffs. Great job by the Os keeping his IP low so he can go the distance. Santana and Bundy will be big names for us too.

AL East is about as weak as its been. We need to pounce on this before Boston makes some moves and starts playing well or the Rays pitching gets healthy or Toronto stays in it enough to believe they have a chance.

There are some concerns but our good hitters will hit and there is some pitching talent on the way very soon. Weak division should allow us a great chance to win it. Work to do though.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Re: Nearing the Quarter Mark

PostPost #2 by osforlife » May 16th, 2014, 4:52 pm

1. Adam Jones is an imperfect player that I'm still glad is Baltimore's center fielder.
2. Nick Markakis' option will be declined. Let's remember he's only slugging .389.
3. I've been saying Ryan Flaherty needs to go down to AAA since the beginning of 2013
4. Gausman wasn't really pitching well in AAA. He was walking 4.8 people per 9 innings. He only had a 1.86 K/BB ratio. All five starting pitchers in Baltimore are doing fine too. I'm not really sure why he's been called up.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » May 16th, 2014, 5:36 pm

JJ Hardy has lost his power and the Orioles as a whole are not hitting home runs like last year. The power drought is not a big deal if the team manufactures runs but the Orioles don't seem to do that either.

Cruz has done more than I expected.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by dan72 » May 17th, 2014, 9:21 am

The power drought has me concerned. Wieters was swing above his career avg, Cruz is what I expected himto be, sure would be nice to extend or resign him. Markakis is 4th in the AL in hits, to bad they are almost all singles.....
Davis, Jones, Machado, Hardy all of to slow starts. I hope they heat up soon.
Britton is a nice surprise, maybe even an all star.
Seen enough of Flaherty. He has a whole in his bat.

Having said all that, I'm very happily surprised to be in first place by any margin.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » May 18th, 2014, 6:34 am

My take is a tad different:

The Starting rotation is the best (so far) I've seen from this team since what the mid 80s? I don't know that it's sustainable, but there have only been about 4 clunker starts from the primary five guys (tossing out Gausman's lone start). Unheard of for a Baltimore team. It's a good thing too as Gausman, Wright, Yoon, Rodriguez or anyone else for that matter simply is not ready.

This team misses Nate McLouth something terrible. I won't say he was all star material, but he could lead off and not be a liability at the plate or in the outfield. That lead off spot is a huge issue. I see this continuing. As good a start as Nick Markakis is having he just isn't the arch-type guy to do the job. I do see the team picking up his option next year, otherwise it's a free agent or Henry Urritia. As for Lough... don't ask me. I thought he would at least have proven to be a solid low cost option.

Johnathan Schoop may well be a fine second baseman someday. He should be in Norfolk working on accomplishing that. Lombardozzi should be keeping his seat warm until he's ready. However long that is... Actually I still don't get why Lombardozzi was sent to the minors to be honest.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #6 by osforlife » May 18th, 2014, 9:15 am

Delmon Young is now hitting to a .480 OPS in May, bringing his overall OPS to a .710, .030 points below his career average. It was nice to see him get off to a hot start, but I think we should remember that this is Delmon Young. He's a one dimensional player (simply a hitter) that doesn't hit well. I endorse Steve Pearce over Young. Pearce has just played well every time he's been given a chance.

Schoop should have never been on this team. He hasn't hit well since he was in Delmarva. Freaking Delmarva.

If I was GM;

1. Option Schoop and recall Steve Lombardozzi
2. Option Flaherty and recall Jemile Weeks
3. DFA Delmon Young and call up Brett Wallace to hit against RHP
4. Tell the manager to stop hitting Machado 2nd in the order
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by osforlife » May 18th, 2014, 4:09 pm

I take back #4. There's really nobody else to put there.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » May 21st, 2014, 6:17 pm

A JJ Hardy without power is not a very good player. Although I expect him to pick it up, if not, he should make a very hard decision rather easy. Machado would slide over to short, and Hardy would test the free agent market. If his slugging percentage stays near .336, Baltimore is basically paying Brendan Ryan $7MM. He's a one dimensional player without power, and his one dimension(defense) will diminish as he gets farther into his 30's.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by osforlife » May 31st, 2014, 12:04 pm

The Orioles have won only six of their last nineteen games and have fallen below .500. I'm not supporting major trades/transactions, but little things have to be done.

Let's stop acting like Steve Pearce is more than what he is. He's a platoon player. He has a .648 OPS against RHP, and a .803 OPS against LHP. If people think he'll be able to hit all pitchers, they'll be disappointed. He won't be in the #2 spot for long.

I'm not surprised by Machado's lack of productivity. He's coming off a knee surgery, he was rushed through the minors, and he had an awful second half last year. He'll pick it up a little bit, but don't expect him to light the world on fire.

I'm not sure what Jonathan Schoop, Ryan Flaherty, and Caleb Joseph are still doing on this team. Call up Clevenger, Lombardozzi, and Weeks.

The starting rotation has been bad, but there is not one person holding it back. They have just been collectively mediocre, although nobody has been worthy of a demotion.

It's only a matter of time before Davis breaks out. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before Cruz cools down.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles