Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What happens with Troy Patton after suspension?

What happens with Troy Patton after suspension?

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » April 28th, 2014, 7:45 am

Could you guys see moving Zach Britton to the starting rotation and moving a pitcher to the bullpen? Stinson has not been very good. Patton could easily replace him. What starter would you move to the bullpen? My thought is moving Gonzalez to the pen.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: What happens with Troy Patton after suspension?

PostPost #2 by osforlife » April 28th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Gonzalez isn't and shouldn't go anywhere. Cut out his first start and he has pitched to a 3.17 ERA. He won't be a 210 inning workhorse, but he's pretty damn good at preventing runs. He has a 3.72 ERA in 48 starts with the O's. The peripherals don't like him, but until he shows he can't produce like a starter, he will remain a starter.

That being said, there is no reason to move Zach Britton to the rotation, considering there is nobody to replace.

As it currently the stands, the active roster only has 24 players on it. Troy Patton will return on Wednesday, but a 25th man will be added to the roster on Tuesday. Roch Kubatko says it could be TJ McFarland, but it may be Steve Pearce in my mind. He plays a little first.

Flaherty has options, Weeks has options, Schoop has options. I'm pretty sure Meek has options. He's been pretty awful. Stinson hasn't been good.

What I'd do for now;

Bring up McFarland for tomorrow's game, option Meek when Patton gets back.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » April 28th, 2014, 6:46 pm

This is a tough one, because a Manny Machado roster move could also coincide with it.

I have to imagine Stinson is the unlucky man right now.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » April 29th, 2014, 12:36 pm

In the pen, Britton is throwing 90% sinking fastballs. Would his curve and change be good enough that he could live off 70% fastballs as a starter? Tough decision because he has great value in middle relief. I tend to lean on the side of leaving him alone but if Buck and Wallace believe he can mix in his other pitches effectively 3 or 4 times through an order then I can see it.

I like Gonzo but he seams to keep hitting a wall in the 5th. I think he would be outstanding as our long man when the move (Gausman?) is made.

I would like to see Young get a chance to get hot at DH. If so he would soften the Davis blow. He has shown signs.

Yes, probably Stinson but with Machado back that means all 4 of our 2bs would be on the roster and only needed for one position or DH. Great versatility among them but who starts?
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by osforlife » April 29th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Steve Pearce was resigned and added to the roster today. Manny Machado will come off the disabled list on Wednesday. Troy Patton will come off the restricted list on Thursday. I'd imagine one of Weeks, Flaherty, or Schoop gets sent down for Machado. Meanwhile, Stinson is DFA'd or Meek is optioned for Patton. I'd prefer Meek be optioned.

Gonzalez has historically hit the wall in the 5th inning; his ERa jumps from a 3.23 in the 4th to a 5.44 in the 5th. However, he does respond with a nice 3.95 in the 6th. Maybe Buck could skip his turn in the rotation for a day every once in awhile. But c'mon guys, Miguel's been worth 5.0 WAR in one and a half seasons with Baltimore. I feel like we're trying to create solutions to problems that aren't really problems, like Adam Jones' defense in center or something like that.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » April 29th, 2014, 7:43 pm

osforlife wrote:I feel like we're trying to create solutions to problems that aren't really problems

To me the PROBLEM is the starters are averaging about 5 innings a game and it has become very taxing on the bullpen with the exception of Britton and O'Day.

This five inning problem is not just this season. It's been happening as long as I can remember. I believe "ofahn" has commented on pitch numbers as well. I suggested Gonzalez to the pen because he could probably handle it better then the others starters. The ORIOLES have a problem with starting pitchers and I believe Britton is ready to make a difference for the starting rotation. I could be totally wrong, he could flounder as a starter. The starters are absolutely killing the bullpen and it needs to be fixed.

Another thing that I have noticed is opposing hitters seem to be fouling off more pitches then in the past.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by osforlife » April 30th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Baltimore's starters are averaging closer to six innings than five innings. That will naturally increase too, as they get better. They're better than a collective 4.74 ERA. Gonzalez is pitching well out of the rotation. Britton is pitching well out of the bullpen. I don't see a reason to change it. Although the Orioles have played fewer games than the majority of teams, bullpens from 22 other teams have thrown more innings than the Orioles bullpen.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » May 1st, 2014, 9:48 pm

osforlife wrote:Baltimore's starters are averaging closer to six innings than five innings. That will naturally increase too, as they get better. They're better than a collective 4.74 ERA. Gonzalez is pitching well out of the rotation. Britton is pitching well out of the bullpen. I don't see a reason to change it. Although the Orioles have played fewer games than the majority of teams, bullpens from 22 other teams have thrown more innings than the Orioles bullpen.

Starters are not pitching deep enough. Norris 5 1/3 and Tillman 4 2/3. I think we're getting closer to 5 per start rather than 6. It's a trend and it needs to change to be successful.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » May 2nd, 2014, 3:19 am

LA Detective wrote: I like Gonzo but he seams to keep hitting a wall in the 5th. I think he would be outstanding as our long man when the move (Gausman?) is made.

I really wouldn't hold your breathe on Gausman being ready to start in the majors. He's seems to struggle to get through five innings a start in Norfolk. I haven't watched any of the games but I have to wonder if he thinks each and every at bat is a pitching duel. For whatever reason our prospects have been very suspect at getting through an inning efficiently. Jake Arrieta was the same way, they need to put the ball in play and let your defense work for you as well.

Mike Wright isn't ready yet either. He also doesn't have that high upside talent. However, he seems more likely to provide a fair number of innings per start.

I know my opinions are unpopular, but the longer we leave our rotation intact the better. The sky isn't quite falling yet so lets not pan nick.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » May 2nd, 2014, 9:27 am

Keep in mind that they are holding Gausman to 75 pitches per start. He would be pitching further into games if that was not the case. Also, he will miss his next start due to a strained intercostal muscle. Not a huge concern, but it can cause some discomfort on the delivery.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #11 by osforlife » May 3rd, 2014, 10:31 am

Why was Steve Lombardozzi optioned? He was doing fine. I'd rather have him than Weeks.

Brad Brach was called up to replace Evan Meek, who was optioned. Brach had 26 strikeouts in 13 innings.

Josh Stinson was outrighted to AAA when Troy Patton returned.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » May 4th, 2014, 6:39 pm

We don't need 3 lefties in the pen. Gonzalez had another rough outing today. Gonzalez another short start. Use him in long relief and move Britton to the starting rotation.

If that doesn't work then flip them back. This five inning stuff is making it rough on the pen.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by osforlife » May 5th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Zach Britton career as a starter; 46 starts, 1.524 WHIP, 4.86 ERA, 1.49 K/BB, 5.435 IP per start

Miguel Gonzalez career as a starter; 49 starts, 1.250 WHIP, 3.82 ERA, 2.24 K/BB, 6.007 IP per start
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Seafordeagles » May 5th, 2014, 5:42 pm

osforlife wrote:Zach Britton career as a starter; 46 starts, 1.524 WHIP, 4.86 ERA, 1.49 K/BB, 5.435 IP per start

Miguel Gonzalez career as a starter; 49 starts, 1.250 WHIP, 3.82 ERA, 2.24 K/BB, 6.007 IP per start

Yeah I know all that and that is all old news. Have you ever heard what have you done for me lately? Read this from Roch today:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roc ... start.html

You apparently don't see a VERY BAD TREND or you just want to go on stats from previous years.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by osforlife » May 5th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Yeah I know all that and that is all old news. Have you ever heard what have you done for me lately? Read this from Roch today:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roc ... start.html

You apparently don't see a VERY BAD TREND or you just want to go on stats from previous years.

I'm willing to use statistics from previous years because we're only a month into the season. 30 games is a very small sample size, compared to a year and a half of perfectly good data. They're extreme outliers on both ends of the spectrum so far this season.

Johnny Cueto has a 1.31 ERA, Troy Tulowitzki has a .400 batting average, Charlie Blackmon has a .359 batting average. Meanwhile, Wade Miley has a 5.14 ERA, and RA Dickey has a 5.01 ERA. Should their teams demote them? Who cares what they've done in previous years?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles