Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles DFA Steve Pearce

Orioles DFA Steve Pearce

PostPost #1 by osforlife » April 27th, 2014, 8:45 am

This news is a little late, but the decision on Steve Pearce should come shortly. I feel bad for the guy. All he ever did in a Orioles uniform was do what he was brought in to do. He has a .254/.341/.421 line with the O's, mostly against LHP. I hope he will clear waivers, but I doubt it. He has the option to decline his minor league assignment and become a free agent. Delmon Young's torrid start basically made him worthless. Although Pearce could be productive with occasionally at-bats, an extra reliever in this case is much more beneficial to the team than this kind of bench piece.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles DFA Steve Pearce

PostPost #2 by osforlife » July 22nd, 2014, 8:38 am

Good thing Chris Davis got hurt or Pearce would have taken his talents, and his 3.4 WAR elsewhere. Seriously, this guy is having an all-star season. Like, he could have been in the all-star game. 3.4 WAR through 61 games is amazing. What excites me even more, is the fact that his BABIP has continued to fall, but his production has stayed amazing. His BABIP is down to .351, and his OPS is at .935. He plays above average defense, has a little bit of speed, and is under control through next season. He's hitting RHP to a very solid .294/.358/.469. His career BABIP is .297, so a little more regression may occur, but I'm still very optimistic he could still be a productive player as his BABIP nears the ordinary .300 mark. Also, he's obviously locked in this season, and maybe everything in his career has clicked this year, so maybe his BABIP won't ever get all that close to .300. In July, his BABIP was .289 and he still hit to a .824 OPS. That might be the Steve Pearce we see for the rest of the season, and I'm completely fine with that.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles