Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #1 by docjj » April 1st, 2014, 2:40 am

Problem is obvious- doesn't have good command and pitches high up in the zone, leaving a few grapefruits along the way. Sure, he can get it up to 99, but if it's down the middle they'll hit it out.

Tonight, he was screwed by the ump who missed Pedroia's swinging strike 3, so that didn't help.

Can't he be taught how to pitch down in the zone? Ground balls can't turn in to home runs the way fly balls can.
docjj
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 181
Joined: January 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #2 by ofahn » April 1st, 2014, 10:10 am

docjj wrote:Problem is obvious- doesn't have good command and pitches high up in the zone, leaving a few grapefruits along the way. Sure, he can get it up to 99, but if it's down the middle they'll hit it out.

Tonight, he was screwed by the ump who missed Pedroia's swinging strike 3, so that didn't help.

Can't he be taught how to pitch down in the zone? Ground balls can't turn in to home runs the way fly balls can.

Frankly, the best choice on our current roster might be Zach Britton. That hard sinker is almost perfect for a closer with the best defense in baseball behind him. For me, the question is whether Zach can be as effective against RHers.

Shoot me at dawn if you will, but I still think that as long as this team is in a "win now" mode the best choice for closer is Dylan Bundy. He already has a plus FB and an above average change up, along with a plus cutter to keep hitters honest. Rehabbing from Tommy John surgery means he really can't counted on for a full season (200+ innings) as a SP until 2017, and that's assuming he can develop his slider or curve as an above average pitch.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #3 by docjj » April 1st, 2014, 11:06 am

People think 99 MPH is so great. Not when it's right down the middle belt high. That's a game losing HR right there and Hunter got away with 3 of them yesterday.

Britton might be a good closer. Same with O'Day. LOVE your idea of Bundy closing too. That's outside the box. I bet Hunter is no longer closing in July.
docjj
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 181
Joined: January 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » April 1st, 2014, 11:30 am

Man just enjoy the win.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 682
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #5 by osforlife » April 1st, 2014, 7:46 pm

I have three things to say.

1. It was one game

2. Darren O'Day is the best reliever on the team

3. It was one game
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #6 by DougDE » April 1st, 2014, 9:08 pm

They traded Johnson saying it was so they could reallocate that ten mil elsewhere but then apparently had 13-15 mil to offer Santana which never got spent
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #7 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2014, 7:30 am

DougDE wrote:They traded Johnson saying it was so they could reallocate that ten mil elsewhere but then apparently had 13-15 mil to offer Santana which never got spent

First, I'm not a big fan of spending money because we can. Considering how hard it was to get ownership to bump the budget by just 12M this season I would prefer not to use any bump for next year on potential dead weight.

Second, I don't think that we would have both Jimenez AND Cruz if we wouldn't have moved Johnson's 10M salary.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #8 by DougDE » April 2nd, 2014, 7:43 am

ofahn wrote:First, I'm not a big fan of spending money because we can. Considering how hard it was to get ownership to bump the budget by just 12M this season I would prefer not to use any bump for next year on potential dead weight.

Second, I don't think that we would have both Jimenez AND Cruz if we wouldn't have moved Johnson's 10M salary.

What dead weight? Johnson is a free agent after this year. And I'm not saying I think you're wrong about not having Cruz and Jimenez if Johnson wasn't moved but my question is why? If there was money to offer Santana, why wasn't there 10 mil to keep what we already had? That's obviously a question only the front office or owner could answer. They must of changed their mind from the beginning of the offseason till the end about what this years budget could be
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #9 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2014, 10:23 am

DougDE wrote:What dead weight?

There was precious little available on the "free" agent market that was willing to come here this winter at a price that wouldn't wreck our payroll.

We got Yoon in large part because of relationships and our past positive history with Asian pitchers. Jimenez fell into our laps because he couldn't get what he wanted anywhere else, and the fourth year is almost certainly a bad risk. Cruz didn't have a market and if he was "only" going to get 8M he wanted to play in Camden Yards to build better numbers. His HR to a comfy LF with the wind blowing out on Monday justifies his decision.

IMO we fell about 12 hours short of landing Ervin Santana. He was willing to come here because we were the better choice on a one year deal than Toronto. If Atlanta hadn't felt they HAD to sign him when they did he'd be starting for us tomorrow night. His stated preference was the NL and his stats will probably benefit from that.

Really, what else was there to spend money on?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #10 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2014, 10:38 am

DougDE wrote:They must of changed their mind from the beginning of the offseason till the end about what this years budget could be

Agreed. I give DD credit for that. He was able to convince Angelos that the team would only be spending fair market or better on Jimenez and Cruz.

I could see DD selling Peter on the fourth year for Ubaldo by reminding him that the team could very well sell enough additional tickets over the next three years because of playoff runs and/or playoff games to cover, ALONE, the 13M of the fourth year. That scenario would also boost ad revenues on MASN which ownership has yet to contribute to payroll.

IMO THAT'S the reason that Jimenez's performance and durability are SO important to this club. If we make the playoffs this year it gives DD credibility to ask for what payroll he feels he needs NEXT season. If Jimenez crashes and burns it may get UGLY payroll wise.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #11 by Old Sneakers » April 4th, 2014, 4:34 pm

ofahn wrote:Agreed. I give DD credit for that. He was able to convince Angelos that the team would only be spending fair market or better on Jimenez and Cruz.

I could see DD selling Peter on the fourth year for Ubaldo by reminding him that the team could very well sell enough additional tickets over the next three years because of playoff runs and/or playoff games to cover, ALONE, the 13M of the fourth year. That scenario would also boost ad revenues on MASN which ownership has yet to contribute to payroll.

IMO THAT'S the reason that Jimenez's performance and durability are SO important to this club. If we make the playoffs this year it gives DD credibility to ask for what payroll he feels he needs NEXT season. If Jimenez crashes and burns it may get UGLY payroll wise.


I think that is reading too much into it. Had Jimenez not been signed (or Feldman resigned which is what I wanted) then Gausman would effectively be in the rotation giving up runs like an under achieving replacement player. Then we would be seeing Rodriguez and Wright along with Gausman burning through options and getting blasted routinely. Signing a guy that would likely give us at least 175IP a year was a must.

Also, regarding the 4th year, does he have some "No trade clause"? I did not hear of that. He may well net us a solid prospect should be become redundant down the road (unlikely).
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 770
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #12 by docjj » April 13th, 2014, 1:53 am

How many blown saves will he have before he is replaced? Put him back in the set up role where he was o.k., and try O Day or Britton as closer. Even Meek might be ok. But I cringe whenever I see him come in to pitch the 9th...
docjj
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 181
Joined: January 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » April 13th, 2014, 5:23 am

docjj wrote:How many blown saves will he have before he is replaced? Put him back in the set up role where he was o.k., and try O Day or Britton as closer. Even Meek might be ok. But I cringe whenever I see him come in to pitch the 9th...


Britton: I'll keep him in long relief thanks
O'Day: Like him right where he is thanks. I just don't see him as a closer.
Meek: Honestly not sure Meek belongs on the team, I know I don't trust him to close.

Wait, Hunter was a setup man? I thought he was long relief last year and our most reliable reliever. I know we all have differing opinions, but I would prefer letting him take a few lumps early in the season and see if he can adjust instead of dumping him in favor of someone else at present. A year or two years from now, Mike Wright (If there is no need for him as a starter or he doesn't stick as a starter) might do well as a closer, but he's not ready yet. Let's just give the guy we have an extended shot for now.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 770
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #14 by Seafordeagles » April 13th, 2014, 8:15 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Meek: Honestly not sure Meek belongs on the team, I know I don't trust him to close.


You may want to check this out about Meek and then amend your statement about him being on the team. You may want to put Stinson instead of Meek in your quote.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ev01.shtml
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 682
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » April 13th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Honestly no. You can add Stinson to the list of "May not belong on the team" but I would not trust Meek to close.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 770
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32


Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: osforlife and 7 guests