Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Designate Johnny Monell For Assignment

Orioles Designate Johnny Monell For Assignment

PostPost #1 by ofahn » March 24th, 2014, 10:03 am

By Tim Dierkes [March 24, 2014 at 8:32am CST]

The Orioles have announced they have designated catcher Johnny Monell for assignment to open a 40-man roster spot for newly-acquired infielder Steve Lombardozzi.

Monell, 28 on Thursday, was optioned to Triple-A by the Orioles last Wednesday after Steve Clevenger won the team's backup catcher job. The Orioles acquired Monell from the Giants in November for cash considerations. He hit .275/.364/.494 with 20 home runs in 481 Triple-A plate appearances last year, his first time at that level. For the Giants' Triple-A club, Monell played 48 games at catcher, 47 at first base, and one at the hot corner.

I was surprised that Monell was the choice to DFA to open the spot for Lombardozzi. With the league wide interest in catchers it would not surprise me to see him claimed. Perhaps they can trade him for some International bonus pool money.

This move would suggest two things to me; 1) that the Orioles were not impressed with his defensive abilities which explained his being optioned BEFORE Caleb Joseph and the fact that they are willing to expose him to waivers; 2) that the Orioles are trying to work out a trade for Almanzar. With the acquisitions of Adams and Lombardozzi there isn't a valid argument for keeping him and his play performance this spring hasn't compelled saving a spot for him on the 25 Man Roster.

The fact that the Orioles are willing to risk losing Monell to keep Almanzar - a player they would otherwise lose by not keeping him on the opening day roster - screams trade efforts to me. IMO Almanzar would be the best 3B prospect in our system if we could keep him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/03/o ... nment.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Designate Johnny Monell For Assignment

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » March 24th, 2014, 5:57 pm

I just wasn't very impressed with Monell. He was having some difficulties defensively. The arm strength was average at best, and he was struggling to frame pitches.

At the plate, he just didn't show much, albeit a very small sample size.
I think the Orioles have enough depth at Catcher, they don't necessarily need him.

guys like Caleb Joseph , David Frietas , Brian Ward , Zane Chavez can all play at AA/AAA
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by osforlife » March 24th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Would I like the Orioles to keep Monell? Sure.
Will I lose sleep if the Orioles lose him? Not at all. He had a nice little year in the PCL last year, but the catching depth is more than fine in the Orioles system. Wieters, Clevenger, Ward, Joseph, Ohlman, Freitas, Sawyer, Chavez, and the four Baltimore drafted recently.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by osforlife » May 29th, 2014, 3:16 pm

The Dodgers have acquired catcher Johnny Monell from the Orioles, reports Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish (Twitter link). In a followup tweet, he adds that “future considerations” are being sent to the Orioles in exchange, likely indicating cash. The 28-year-old Monell is hitting .209/.280/.286 with a homer in exactly 100 plate appearances for Triple-a Norfolk this season. He has limited Major League experience, as he appeared in eight games for the Giants last year, collecting one hit in nine trips to the plate. Monell will serve as catching depth and head to Triple-A Albuquerque for the Dodgers.

2014 organizational catching update;

AAA; Brian Ward (.317/.418/.415/.833) & Steve Clevenger
AA; Michael Ohlman (.211/.311/.317/.628) & David Freitas (.203/.259/.378/.638)
A+; Wynston Sawyer (.194/.278/.298/.576) & Zane Chavez (.267/.345/.360/.705)
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles