Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Readiness of Jonathan Schoop

The Readiness of Jonathan Schoop

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » March 14th, 2014, 2:11 pm

The Readiness of Jonathan Schoop http://bit.ly/1cZycFM

I had some thoughts on Jonathan Schoop, and I am sure they are not popular with some. But I needed to do some venting, and this is how I vent :P
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: The Readiness of Jonathan Schoop

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » March 14th, 2014, 2:36 pm

It's a fine article and you bring up valid points. You hit the nail on the head though. He has trouble with off speed pitches. Let him have half a season at AAA first. Schoop could be a long term fixture (God I hope) for the team. The other options at 2B can handle it for now and the time investment will only benefit him.

Adam Jones took some time to develop as well. It's not so great a learning curve as young pitching. A little patience will go a long way toward a better line up.
Last edited by Old Sneakers on March 14th, 2014, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by thezeroes » March 14th, 2014, 3:22 pm

I think that not only will a couple of months of seasoning in triple A help his overall game but you can also leave him there to circumvent the "Super Two".

I can see the want of fans to bring him up at the beginning of the season but this will/can be related to when/if Manny Machado is ready on March 31.

Weeks also does not seem to be hitting this early in spring and could be held back but this would then leave the Orioles a little short handed around the infield. I would just a soon not mess to much with the Forty man roster by adding backups to the infield if the in-house candidates (Weeks, Flaherty) are good to go while giving Schoop a couple of more at bats at AAA. If Almanzar gets returned this would open up a 40/25 spot for the veteran Alex Gonzalez and would be the direction I would lean at this time.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #4 by ofahn » March 16th, 2014, 7:37 am

thezeroes wrote:you can also leave him there to circumvent the "Super Two".

I wouldn't underestimate this factor in the teams thinking.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by ofahn » March 16th, 2014, 7:46 am

Old Sneakers wrote:He has trouble with off speed pitches.

Absolutely.

I watched the game against the Yankees yesterday and he clearly wasn't getting good reads on them, but what I was really impressed with was his AB where he drove in the winning run because he waited until he got a FB that he knew he could handle and drove it into CF for a SF. IMO even if he never learns how to handle an above average or better breaking ball the kind of self awareness he displayed during that AB tells me he'll be at least an average ML player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » March 16th, 2014, 8:05 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Adam Jones took some time to develop as well.

... and IMO is still developing. Perhaps, at some point, he'll learn how to either handle the low and out side breaking pitch OR lay off it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » March 16th, 2014, 8:20 am

Tucker Blair wrote:The Readiness of Jonathan Schoop http://bit.ly/1cZycFM

I had some thoughts on Jonathan Schoop, and I am sure they are not popular with some. But I needed to do some venting, and this is how I vent :P

I would agree that his ST numbers SO FAR look great, BUT the stats compiled the last two weeks before the start of the season that are the true indicator of a player's ability because most of the AAA and AA players have left camp and the regulars get the majority of the playing time. IF Schoop produces an OPS of at least .750 with an OBA of .350 or better over the next fourteen days DD is going to have a VERY difficult decision to make.

If I were DD the fact that Schoop is already as good as the IFers we currently have on the roster would be irrelevant. This kid has the chance to be something really special and I wouldn't want to risk reducing his upside for an extra fifty or so games at the ML level IF he hasn't clearly separated himself from the rest of the pack yet.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » March 16th, 2014, 8:51 am

ofahn wrote:Absolutely.

I watched the game against the Yankees yesterday and he clearly wasn't getting good reads on them, but what I was really impressed with was his AB where he drove in the winning run because he waited until he got a FB that he knew he could handle and drove it into CF for a SF. IMO even if he never learns how to handle an above average or better breaking ball the kind of self awareness he displayed during that AB tells me he'll be at least an average ML player.

That pitch was some kind of off-speed pitch. The radar gun read 80mph.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by ofahn » March 16th, 2014, 10:46 am

osforlife wrote:
That pitch was some kind of off-speed pitch. The radar gun read 80mph.

My point was that it wasn't a breaking ball which he had already swung at and missed earlier in the count.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by osforlife » March 16th, 2014, 1:51 pm

ofahn wrote:My point was that it wasn't a breaking ball which he had already swung at and missed earlier in the count.

Yeah. It looked like either an outstanding cutter, or a curveball that didn't have much movement but with good location.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by dan72 » March 16th, 2014, 4:40 pm

So if Manny starts the season on the DL, Flaherty will get the starts at 3b and Schoop should stay with the team at least until Manny gets back. Now if he has some success during that stint I would look for him to stay up with the team.
I can't figure out where Weeks fits into the picture. Sending him to Norfolk after giving up your All star closer wouldn't look to good. Although winning cures all.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » March 16th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Weeks should have no chance of making this team, unless he really turns it on. Now Alex Gonzalez should be a virtual lock with the way he is playing.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » March 18th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Seems that Schoop is the biggest discussion point this Spring. A lot of posts and pieces being written about him.

I do think Schoop is the Orioles' best option at 2B, maybe even to this day. But I am thinking long term. I want the Orioles to have Schoop for years. I would hate for him to be exposed if not ready and never get a chance to recuperate. I'm not saying that would happen necessarily if he starts in the majors, but it happens all the time with prospects, especially if they have areas to improve in such as defense and plate discipline.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by Tucker Blair » March 18th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Check out the growth of Schoop from 2011-2014. Quite amazing!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #15 by ofahn » March 31st, 2014, 10:45 am

Can you believe that this kid may the 25 Man Roster?

IMO he deserved it. He's looked like a man on a mission starting with the AFL last October.

We'll have to see how he handles pitches that aren't FBs. If he just lays off those he KNOWS he can't handle he should be fine. The team doesn't need much more than above average D and a .725 or better OPS from him.

I'll never claim that I know more than Buck, but I was surprised when he said that he would bat Schoop lower in the order. Until Machado gets back he would seem to be the best choice for the Two Hole. If Lough is on base before him and Davis, Jones, and Cruz behind him he's virtually guaranteed to see a high percentage of FBs.

I can understand Buck not wanting to put unnecessary pressure on him, but Jonathon has always impressed me as the kind of player that THRIVES on it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles