Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Sources: Orioles closing in on a deal for Nelson Cruz

Sources: Orioles closing in on a deal for Nelson Cruz

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 22nd, 2014, 6:07 am

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jo ... elson-cruz
Free agent slugger Nelson Cruz is close to a deal with the Orioles, according to people familiar with the deal.

The Cruz signing, once finalized, will be the second major signing in two days for Baltimore, which is obviously going for it now. The Orioles' lineup looks like one of the better onesin baseball now.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Sources: Orioles closing in on a deal for Nelson Cruz

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » February 22nd, 2014, 6:44 am

Honestly, not sure what to think of this. I could almost see them going after Santana, but Cruz? I don't know.

It sure seems to me if they were to do anything, it would involve a lead off hitter type. Which would require some type of trade.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 22nd, 2014, 9:27 am

Please, please, please tell me this is just someone in the Warehouse leaking this in order to gain leverage with Morales.

Boras has to know that IF the Orioles are no longer an option his client is absolutely SCREWED. The only way Morales could go back to Seattle would be on a one year team friendly contract. Other than that his market is thirteen other AL teams and the Pirates. The ONLY one of THOSE I could see willing to give up the draft pick would be Toronto, but it would be on a very team friendly deal LESS than what he might get from Baltimore.

We'll see.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » February 22nd, 2014, 9:57 am

This report comes from the same hack (Heyman) who said 2 days ago the Orioles were closing in on a deal with Santana. I won't believe any of it until the physical is done.

I thought Morales would be the better choice. I have no real reason for thinking that way.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #5 by AlexConway » February 22nd, 2014, 10:47 am

Done deal, 1/8 with incentives.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #6 by ofahn » February 22nd, 2014, 11:01 am

Orioles To Sign Nelson Cruz
By Charlie Wilmoth [February 22, 2014 at 9:25am CST]

USATSI_7337800Nelson Cruz and the Orioles have agreed to terms on a one-year contract, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports. CBS Sports' Jon Heyman originally reported that the two parties were close to an agreement. The deal is for one-year and a base salary of $8MM, plus $750K in incentives, obviously a very disappointing outcome for a player who declined a $14.1MM qualifying offer from the Rangers and at one point reportedly sought a four-year, $75MM deal. Cruz is represented by the Wasserman Media Group.

Cruz, 33, hit .266/.327/.506 in 456 plate appearances in 2013. A 50-game suspension for his connection to the Biogenesis scandal shortened his season.

The Rangers will now receive what is currently the No. 30 overall pick in the 2014 draft as a result of Cruz signing elsewhere. The Orioles, meanwhile, will sacrifice the No. 55 pick. Losing the No. 17 pick when they struck a deal with Ubaldo Jimenez likely made it easier for the Orioles to sign Cruz, since they would no longer have to give up a first-round draft choice in order to do so.

Some details.

The deal is DEFINITELY team friendly. I like the one year basis because it forces him to have a big year in order to rebuild his value. IF he does then he would be worth the qualifying offer which would be another one year deal. All that being said I hope Cruz was the better choice.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/o ... -cruz.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » February 22nd, 2014, 11:12 am

Nothing ever wrong with a 1yr deal.

Good stuff. Hopefully he is only playing DH :lol:
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #8 by DougDE » February 22nd, 2014, 12:25 pm

I love this deal. My enthusiasm for the coming season has skyrocketed the last few days. I hope they just plug him in as full time DH and more or less forget about LF tho. But gambling the 55th pick on a player who could hit 40 HR's and possibly return a better pick next year is more then worth it in my book. The only real risk at the reported salary is an injury that costs substantial time because I believe even a "down" year from him if healthy would probably be worth the 8 or 9 mil
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by DougDE » February 22nd, 2014, 12:26 pm

Gotta be a big chip on his shoulder now too. That can only help
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #10 by osforlife » February 22nd, 2014, 1:11 pm

Hopefully, next year we see nobody complaining about the lack of Orioles activity during the off-season. I'll admit was getting a little grumpy, before the Yoon signing, but I didn't dedicate the whole winter to ripping the front office and ownership like some members. I was still saying stuff like "IF the Orioles don't sign anybody, THEN they don't want to win" instead of stuff like "The Orioles front office doesn't want to win and the owner is a cheap." THE OFF-SEASON DOES NOT END IN DECEMBER OR JANUARY. It's uninteresting and annoying to rip on management for three months. As everybody can see, transactions are allowed to happen up to late February. Obviously, the owner and the GM want to win.

What were the Orioles' needs this off-season?

Second Base; Brian Roberts is a free agent? Acquired minor league depth like Jemile Weeks, Corp Phelps, and Ivan De Jesus, to compete with Ryan Flaherty. He was handicapped by the fact that Schoop is close to the majors. This type of strategy was fine to me.

Stating Pitcher; Feldman and Hammel are free agents? Replace them with Ubaldo Jimenez and Suk-Min Yoon.

Bullpen; Orioles' relief pitchers need revamping? Sign many cost effective arms like the smart thing to do.

Left Field; Nate McLouth is a free agent? Acquire a cheap, controllable, full-time player in David Lough for a platoon player.

Designated Hitter; Need more production out of the DH? Sign Nelson Cruz

I won't go as far as say DD had a great OFF-SEASON, but he has prepared Baltimore well to have a good SEASON. Bring it on, 2014!
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by Old Sneakers » February 22nd, 2014, 9:37 pm

osforlife wrote:What were the Orioles' needs this off-season?

Second Base; Brian Roberts is a free agent? Acquired minor league depth like Jemile Weeks, Corp Phelps, and Ivan De Jesus, to compete with Ryan Flaherty. He was handicapped by the fact that Schoop is close to the majors. This type of strategy was fine to me.

Agreed.

osforlife wrote:Stating Pitcher; Feldman and Hammel are free agents? Replace them with Ubaldo Jimenez and Suk-Min Yoon.

Feldman could have been gotten cheaper and not cost a draft choice. This was bungling. Yes, lower upside with Feldman but they gave up a significant bundle to get him in the fist place. Then you changed your mind? Suk-Min Yoon could prove a valuable addition for a team friendly contract. We've not see what he can do yet, but I still approve.

osforlife wrote:Bullpen; Orioles' relief pitchers need revamping? Sign many cost effective arms like the smart thing to do.

Agreed, you can't have a bullpen that is aging and costs too much.

osforlife wrote:Left Field; Nate McLouth is a free agent? Acquire a cheap, controllable, full-time player in David Lough for a platoon player.

Designated Hitter; Need more production out of the DH? Sign Nelson Cruz

Agree with you on David Lough, this was a smart move. As for Nelson Cruz, it's not the money it's the draft choice. Looks to at least be a solid DH for us. The PED issue with him frightens me a tad. Do we get a strong version of Cruz or is he going to suddenly look human? Overall though on paper the team looks stronger now with Cruz producing runs. This sits better than just Nolan Reimold hitting decently if he's healthy.

osforlife wrote:I won't go as far as say DD had a great OFF-SEASON, but he has prepared Baltimore well to have a good SEASON. Bring it on, 2014!

I won't say "Bring it on" but I will say on paper this is a far stronger team than what we had in 2012 and 2013. Was hoping the team might have gotten another lead off option being my lone gripe. If Tommy Hunter can be an above average closer the bullpen should be good. The team's payroll is still in fair condition. My only gripe is this year's draft is going to be very meager indeed. I will already put it on record and say: "Go gamble on some high upside high school kids"

As for our current prospects: Gausman has a solid shot at playing time in Norfolk this year. If Norris is sound in the rotation even as a #5 guy this all works out. If significant injury happens, then likely that time in the minors is scrapped. Needless to say I will be disappointed. He still has a very high ceiling, seeing him reach it is important to me as a fan.

With Wright, he's obviously still has potential to be a solid starter. He's young and inexpensive so lets hope he stays in that role. Hopefully we do not see him until expanded rosters (very unlikely). However, the team also has no high velocity bullpen type in the upper minors. He could just as easily end up the team's closer in two year or less. There is a lot of guess work in how all that plays out.

As for Eduardo Rodriguez he's still on the young side and held his own in decent sample size at AA Bowie. He needs more time there before being bumped to AAA. Again, he's young and a LHSP. Hopefully the team nurses him along slowly at this point. Even if he's a back or the rotation arm his value will end up huge. Rushing should not be an option.

Dylan Bundy won't see any real time on the field until June or July. He remains the most talented question mark in all of baseball. I won't even suggest whether or not he is a starter or closer. All I know is that the Major League contract for draftees is turning out to be a huge mistake. Hopefully he's healthy this year and able to somewhat build up his innings.

Lastly with Johnathan Schoop, it's a matter of when and what is the end result? Thankfully he's been primarily at 2B the past two years. Defensively he should be solid. My question is: Is he going to get on base and be a run producer. Or a guy with occasional power batting ninth every night? Back end of the line up guys can indeed be a team strength if they can get on base. Power also is nice if someone is on base when your batting. Hopefully Schoop ends up being a very patient hitter that is adept at fighting off pitches to stay alive and drives up pitch counts. I say that as I don't see him being an overnight sensation. Becoming a complete player takes time and this kid has been rushed somewhat. After this it's all a crap shoot. We have this and don't have that. Our minor league system is going to have many bear spots in the next few years do to poor drafts of the past and too few shots this year.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #12 by ofahn » February 25th, 2014, 11:00 am

DougDE wrote:Gotta be a big chip on his shoulder now too.

Good point. I'm glad you mentioned it.

POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » February 25th, 2014, 11:25 am

osforlife wrote:I won't go as far as say DD had a great OFF-SEASON, but he has prepared Baltimore well to have a good SEASON. Bring it on, 2014!

While I STRONGLY believe that the best trade this franchise will ever make would be Peter Angelos for an owner that understands what has to be done to build a winning organization, IMO what has happened in the past few weeks is that ownership has finally shown some trust in the people it is paying to run the team. DD understood enough of what the market was to wait until players had no place else to go and then made offers they couldn't refuse.

Even if Yoon is never any more than a solid middle reliever he won't have cost any more than Matusz did when you consider his signing bonus. Jimenez is a big risk, but he has high upside. The fact that he has stated that he came here to work with Dave Wallace gives me hope that he will take instruction and be at least a solid #3 SP. As DougDE pointed out, Cruz almost HAS to have a chip on his shoulder to sign for what he did so his 8M looks like a bargain with the possibility of another one year contract or a draft pick in our future.

Even with all three signings the payroll will probably only be about 10M more on opening day than it was at the end of last season. I can also point out that because we have lost our first three draft picks the team saved signing bonuses equal to the amount of Yoon's entire contract. So, while PA has made an investment in this team IMO it's really just baby steps. I'll admit I was wrong about PA IF he allows DD to go CRAZY signing International talent this summer. I don't see any other way to add young and high-upside position talent this summer.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » February 27th, 2014, 11:53 pm

The Cruz deal would have been a great signing with an option. They might have been able to re-acquire a draft pick in two years as a result. There was some value potentially left behind here. His numbers outside of Texas leave me feeling meh overall.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Return to Baltimore Orioles