Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's sign Tyler Colvin (Updated:Failed Physical, signed w/ Giants)

O's sign Tyler Colvin (Updated:Failed Physical, signed w/ Giants)

PostPost #1 by AlexConway » January 15th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reported via Twitter that the Orioles are signing OF Tyler Colvin to a major league deal pending physical.

Colvin has a had a rocky road in his career and been very up and down. He had a stellar 2012 for the Rockies and bounced between AAA and the Majors last season. A decent pick up and theoretical platoon partner, he has hit Righties much better in his career.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Re: O's sign Tyler Colvin

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » January 15th, 2014, 7:00 pm

I'm resigned to the fact that the way for the Orioles to do business (mandated by the owner) is to sign cheap players and try to catch lightning in the bottle. We now have about 15 outfielders going to camp. We need a ton more "B" games just to see what some guys bring to the table.

Now since the Jim Johnson trade and the Balfour fiasco I'm convinced it's all about the Benjamin's, more now than ever before.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » January 15th, 2014, 7:05 pm

AlexConway wrote:Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reported via Twitter that the Orioles are signing OF Tyler Colvin to a major league deal pending physical.

Colvin has a had a rocky road in his career and been very up and down. He had a stellar 2012 for the Rockies and bounced between AAA and the Majors last season. A decent pick up and theoretical platoon partner, he has hit Righties much better in his career.

Tyler Colvin can thank Coors Field for his stellar 2012. He hit .338/.380/.652 in Colorado, and .244/.274/.413 everywhere else. His 2010 season was most likely better than his 2012 season. Anyway, his 113 games in 2009, 2011, and 2013 have really brought down his career average. 2010 is really his only good season IMO. Considering he really doesn't provide value on defense, on the base-paths, and his on-base abilities, his only real strength is power vs. RHP. I don't think he's very good.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #4 by AlexConway » January 15th, 2014, 7:28 pm

osforlife wrote:Tyler Colvin can thank Coors Field for his stellar 2012. He hit .338/.380/.652 in Colorado, and .244/.274/.413 everywhere else. His 2010 season was most likely better than his 2012 season. Anyway, his 113 games in 2009, 2011, and 2013 have really brought down his career average. 2010 is really his only good season IMO. Considering he really doesn't provide value on defense, on the base-paths, and his on-base abilities, his only real strength is power vs. RHP. I don't think he's very good.

Yeah, he makes 12 outfielders in Spring Training, which is nuts, I doubt Colvin makes the top 4/5.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » January 15th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Danny Boy ain't done yet....................................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » January 16th, 2014, 12:52 am

My question is are all agents threatening the front office? Something like: "You sign my client and invite him to spring training or so help me you will never sign another 30th round draftee again!"

I understand that there is no clear cut LF slated for 2014 and Nick Markakis might be sent packing after the season. Leaving a whole in LF and RF for 2015. It just seems odd that so many OFers have been signed. Oh I see. I just stumbled upon my own answer. OK so the team has too look beyond the 2014 season. Still they can only carry so many OFers.

I suspect Henry Urritia is in Norfolk most of the year if this is the case.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by osforlife » January 16th, 2014, 6:34 pm

David Lough, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, Nolan Reimold, Steve Pearce, Xavier Paul, Henry Urrutia, Francisco Peguero, Tyler Colvin, Julio Borbon, Quintin Berry, Kyeong Kang, Chih-Hsien Chiang, Johnny Ruetigger, Trent Mummey, and Dariel Alverez to fit onto three teams. I'm not sure about the contract situations of some of these players. Most of these guys are on minor league contracts. But, I'm not an expert on options, contract status, control ability, etc. Some will have to be cut. Some of the younger guys can go to Frederick. Some will get injured.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » January 21st, 2014, 10:46 am

Urrutia, Ruetigger, and Alverez are almost guaranteed to get regular playing time somewhere. When you add DH and, occasionally, 1B at AAA and AA you can see how the survivors would get their ABs; but it WILL be interesting to how things shake out.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by osforlife » January 22nd, 2014, 3:16 pm

If it was up to me...

Baltimore; David Lough, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, Nolan Reimold, Steve Pearce

Norfolk; Kyeong Kang, Julio Borbon, Xavier Paul, Henry Urrutia, Tyler Colvin

Bowie; Francisco Peguero, Quintin Berry, Dariel Alvarez, Chih-Hsien Chiang, Steve Bumbry

Frederick; Glynn Davis, Trent Mummey, Johnny Ruettiger, Brenden Webb, Tucker Nathans

Of course, injuries will occur and sort some logjams out. I would cut Ronald Bermudez.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » January 22nd, 2014, 7:29 pm

This just in. The Orioles found a issue with his physical that could jeopardize the signing.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2014, 1:59 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:This just in. The Orioles found a issue with his physical that could jeopardize the signing.

The team is getting beaten up in the media for questioning his medicals, but they also have a legitimate gripe that it was even reported by the press. The TEAM never disclosed that they had a deal AND it's not surprising that he might have medical issues considering the difficulties he had last year.

I'm willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt until I hear enough evidence to believe otherwise.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by osforlife » January 23rd, 2014, 4:13 pm

I would still like Colvin on a minor league deal. He's decent depth IMO.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2014, 4:21 pm

osforlife wrote:I would still like Colvin on a minor league deal. He's decent depth IMO.

Agreed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Seafordeagles » January 24th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Just reported Colvin deal fell through due to back issue and he will not sign a minor league deal.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by osforlife » February 24th, 2014, 7:52 pm

Fairly old news, but Colvin signed with the Giants on a minor league deal.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles