Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's Signed Delmon Young, Interested in Jack Cust, Mark Reynolds

O's Signed Delmon Young, Interested in Jack Cust, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #1 by osforlife » January 13th, 2014, 6:57 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/o ... nolds.html

The Orioles have some interest in adding both Delmon Young and Jack Cust on minor league deals, according to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com. Each player will be at the Orioles' minicamp tomorrow to see if there's a potential fit on a non-roster deal, according to Kubatko. Baltimore also has some interest in a reunion with Mark Reynolds, though nothing is hot on that front for now, according to Kubatko (All links to Twitter).
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: O's Interested In Delmon Young, Jack Cust, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » January 13th, 2014, 7:32 pm

They just signed Young to a minor league contract from MLBTR.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: O's Interested In Delmon Young, Jack Cust, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #3 by AlexConway » January 14th, 2014, 11:57 am

A good low risk signing. Delmon Young, while seemingly a bad person, would be a decent addition to the team in the right role. A career .812 OPS vs. LHP makes him a pretty good option to be the DH versus lefties. His inability to play defense takes him down a couple of notches. Steve Pearce has similar, but slightly worse, numbers against lefties but, he can play a competent LF and 1B.

Not sure who the Orioles are going to keep or who I would rather have as of yet.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Re: O's Signed Delmon Young, Interested in Jack Cust, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #4 by osforlife » January 14th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Delmon Young is a 28 year old, with the body of a 38 year old, with the maturity/attitude of an 8 year old. Delmon Young is a bad player that continues to (somehow) get consistent major league opportunities. He's fat, slow, isn't capable of playing ball girl, doesn't walk, doesn't hit for power, doesn't hit for average, and gets in trouble. That being said, there is no such thing as a bad minor league deal. There is no risk involved, and with good reason.

Now that I've gotten my historical hatred of Delmon Young off my chest, he could actually be a useful piece on the Orioles. Although he should never touch a glove for the rest of his career, and be basically/generally limited to LHP, he does hit southpaws quite well.

I'd still most likely take Steve Pearce over Young, because he's cheaper, faster, better for the clubhouse(not that I put much significance into that or am an expert in that area), capable of playing in the field, and (I haven't done the exact numbers) but I'm pretty sure Pearce has put up a better OPS against LHP in the last two years.
2012 & 2013 Pearce against LHP; .760 & .802
2012 & 2013 Young against LHP; .833 & .684
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles