Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Steve Melewski's Ten Questions For Orioles Fans

Steve Melewski's Ten Questions For Orioles Fans

PostPost #1 by osforlife » January 3rd, 2014, 1:01 pm

1) Who is most likely to sign a contract extension with the Orioles: Chris Davis, Matt Wieters and/or J.J. Hardy?

2) Predict the 2014 stats for Nick Markakis.

3) Should former Oriole Mike Mussina make the Hall of Fame?

4) Of the remaining free agent pitchers, which should the Orioles pursue?

5) Who will lead the 2014 O's in stolen bases?

6) On which date will Manny Machado make his 2014 debut?

7) Who is the AL East favorite right now?

8) Should the Orioles sign a closer or go in-house with that role?

9) Who will start at second base for the Orioles?

10) Who will win the backup catcher's job for 2014?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Steve Melewski's Ten Questions For Orioles Fans

PostPost #2 by osforlife » January 3rd, 2014, 1:25 pm

1) Chris Davis. Hardy is gone after 2014 and Wieters is gone after 2015. Although Manny Machado could sign an extension as well.

2) .288/.349/.427/.776

3) Mike Mussina pitched in the AL EAST his whole career, and right through the heart of the steroid ERA. He was a annual CY YOUNG candidate for the first decade of his career and showed incredible durability. YES

4) The front office doesn't have to pursue Tanaka, Santana, or Jimenez. But it needs to sign one of Garza, Burnett, Arroyo, and Chris Capuano.

5) Adam Jones and David Lough will both be near 20. I can't see anybody else stealing more than five bases.

6) May 3rd

7) Unfortunately the Redsox. They are six deep in the rotation with Allen Webster and Rubby De La Rosa waiting in the minors.

8) Definitely in-house.

9) Flaherty will. Although I'm not very happy about it

10) Steve Clevenger will. Although, don't be surprised if you see Brian Ward, Caleb Joseph, and/or Joseph Monell in Baltimore at some point.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » January 3rd, 2014, 1:48 pm

osforlife wrote:1) Chris Davis. Hardy is gone after 2014 and Wieters is gone after 2015. Although Manny Machado could sign an extension as well.

2) .288/.349/.427/.776

3) Mike Mussina pitched in the AL EAST his whole career, and right through the heart of the steroid ERA. He was a annual CY YOUNG candidate for the first decade of his career and showed incredible durability. YES

4) The front office doesn't have to pursue Tanaka, Santana, or Jimenez. But it needs to sign one of Garza, Burnett, Arroyo, and Chris Capuano.

5) Adam Jones and David Lough will both be near 20. I can't see anybody else stealing more than five bases.

6) May 3rd

7) Unfortunately the Redsox. They are six deep in the rotation with Allen Webster and Rubby De La Rosa waiting in the minors.

8) Definitely in-house.

9) Flaherty will. Although I'm not very happy about it

10) Steve Clevenger will. Although, don't be surprised if you see Brian Ward, Caleb Joseph, and/or Joseph Monell in Baltimore at some point.

I can't disagree with your opinions. although in point #1 I believe it will be Hardy. That's just my thought, although like you I want to see Chris Davis signed to an extension.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by osforlife » January 3rd, 2014, 2:29 pm

I'll change my date on Machado's debut to April 18th.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 4th, 2014, 8:47 am

osforlife wrote:I'll change my date on Machado's debut to April 18th.

... give or take a few days in either direction.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » January 4th, 2014, 9:10 am

I think that your original prediction is realistic. Machado is going to be a star. I think they will be cautious with him.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » January 4th, 2014, 2:21 pm

1. Davis
2. .285/.340/.410 and 2 WAR
3. He probably should and will, but I think there is a reasonable argument for him to not be in the HOF. I had a long-time scout tell me that there were more than 10 pitchers in his prime that he would have taken over him in the playoffs. That was interesting to hear.
4. A.J. Burnett is the guy for me. Realistically at least. IMO this answer should be Tanaka and only Tanaka for any club truly attempting to win it all.
5. David Lough will swipe the most I think.
6. Opening Day
7. Red Sox - team is essentially the same with a few tweaks here and there. I think Jackie Bradley Jr. can at least be average out there, and I fully expect a full season of Xander Boegarts to be solid.
8. I have heard rumblings, I still think they sign someone. A name I have heard: Joel Hanrahan.
9. Ryan Flaherty as I said here http://bit.ly/1hgss8r
10. Steve Clevenger - I think he can be a decent backup and can play 1B in a pinch too.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #8 by osforlife » January 4th, 2014, 4:30 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:1. Davis
2. .285/.340/.410 and 2 WAR
3. He probably should and will, but I think there is a reasonable argument for him to not be in the HOF. I had a long-time scout tell me that there were more than 10 pitchers in his prime that he would have taken over him in the playoffs. That was interesting to hear.
4. A.J. Burnett is the guy for me. Realistically at least. IMO this answer should be Tanaka and only Tanaka for any club truly attempting to win it all.
5. David Lough will swipe the most I think.
6. Opening Day
7. Red Sox - team is essentially the same with a few tweaks here and there. I think Jackie Bradley Jr. can at least be average out there, and I fully expect a full season of Xander Boegarts to be solid.
8. I have heard rumblings, I still think they sign someone. A name I have heard: Joel Hanrahan.
9. Ryan Flaherty as I said here http://bit.ly/1hgss8r
10. Steve Clevenger - I think he can be a decent backup and can play 1B in a pinch too.

The Redsox should be a model to how the Orioles function. Ellsbury signs with the Yankees? It's okay, we have Bradley. Drew wants too much money? It's okay, we have Boegarts. Peavy and Dempster are free agents? (next year). It's okay, we have Allen Webster. They had a complete sell off in 2012 and won the World Series in 2013. Trading away Johnson, Hardy, Wieters, and Davis wouldn't be a salary dump, it would be a step towards how the team should be(strong farm system that is able to replace the modest free agents Baltimore signs).

I'm excited to see how Clevenger does. If the Orioles were going in-house to pair somebody up with Steve Pearce for the DH, I'd pick Clevenger over Reimold, Urrutia, or Flaherty.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » January 7th, 2014, 6:05 pm

1. Davis and Hardy. I don't see Weiters with us past 2015 or earlier. Too much $ for a catcher on a mid market team.
2. Comeback year for Nick....305/.368 OBA .450 slg with 40+ dbls and 17 Hrs.
3. close but no
4. AJ and Tanaka
5. Sleeper...Berry with 20 in a limited role
6. Opening Day
7. Sox then the Rays if Price stays.
8. In house. If we get a FA starter I will feel better about the state and depth of the Pen.
9. Ryan Flaherty with Weeks batting from the right side. I think we will be pleasantly surprised here.
10. Clevenger mostly but I could also see him getting some at bats early in the year at AAA.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Return to Baltimore Orioles