Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Adam Jones' Defense

Adam Jones' Defense

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » January 2nd, 2014, 2:56 pm

Good article over at Gammon's Daily on the defense of Adam Jones
http://www.gammonsdaily.com/about-adam-jones-defense/

I agree with it and have said many times that he is simply inconsistent in CF. That being said, I am completely fine keeping Jones in CF. Far from this club's biggest worry.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Adam Jones' Defense

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 2nd, 2014, 3:08 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I am completely fine keeping Jones in CF. Far from this club's biggest worry.

IMO his position is FAR from HIS biggest problem. IF he ever gets a handle on his batting eye he can start shopping for a location for his plaque at Cooperstown.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by dan72 » January 2nd, 2014, 4:26 pm

I hve two images of Jones defensive highlights and low lights burned into my mind. The low light would be when I was at a Yankees game a couple of seasons ago, Routine 3 hopper hit to shallow left center off the bat of Brett Gardner. Jones lolly gagged over to the ball and Gardner took second base easily..... The high light is the Willie Mays esq catch that Jones made to rob Miguel Olivo of an extra base hit. No doubt he has the talent and ability......
see link: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=15451861

His range is good, his arm is good, but his lack of hustle is un excusible..... For a guy that covers ground fairly well in the outfield I have always wondered why he has no baserunning skills.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by osforlife » January 2nd, 2014, 7:40 pm

Great article. Adam Jones is not terrible, but he's certainly no where close to the best. His arm defintely contains the wow factor, but nothing else is very good. A corner outfield position is probably most ideal for him. But, again, he's the least of Baltimore's worries, and he can stay there for another few years.

Do you guys think Baltimore would consider, maybe not now but at some point, moving David Lough to center and have Adam Jones transition to left? Lough is a great defender, and I predict he will put up numbers somewhat similar to the 2013 Manny Machado. Although, Lough will probably top out at that production while Machado still has room to grow in several areas.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2014, 10:40 am

dan72 wrote:His range is good, his arm is good, but his lack of hustle is un excusible..... For a guy that covers ground fairly well in the outfield I have always wondered why he has no baserunning skills.

I've meet Adam and he impressed me as an intelligent and articulate person. Now comes the BUT part; he plays like someone that thinks they can get by on just talent instead of making the investment into developing parts of his game that he doesn't excel in because of his natural abilities.

He also wants to be a team leader, but real leaders are those that lead by example and Jones doesn't do that. He has HOF talent. We'll see if he has HOF desire.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles