Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Good Will The Defense Be?

How Good Will The Defense Be?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » December 29th, 2013, 10:19 pm

The Baltimore Orioles were arguably the best defense in the majors last year. They may be better this year. IMO;

Manny Machado , J.J. Hardy , and David Lough are all stellar.

Ryan Flaherty and Matt Wieters are above-average.

Adam Jones is average.

Nick Markakis and Chris Davis are pretty terrible.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: How Good Will The Defense Be?

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » December 30th, 2013, 9:26 am

osforlife wrote:The Baltimore Orioles were arguably the best defense in the majors last year. They may be better this year. IMO;

Manny Machado, JJ Hardy, and David Lough are all stellar.

Ryan Flaherty and Matt Wieters are above-average.

Adam Jones is average.

Nick Markakis and Chris Davis are pretty terrible.

Nick Markakis and Chris Davis are pretty TERRIBLE? That's really harsh. Nick had no errors in 2013 and Chris Davis fielding percentage of .996 was 2 points higher than the major league average. C'mon man.....................

Please support your opinion with facts.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » December 30th, 2013, 9:44 am

Nick Markakis has surely seen a regression in defensive ability. He is clearly not as agile, and there is a lack of burst of speed from him. However, he still is at least average out there, and the arm is still solid-average at worst. Hard for me to be worried about him out there defensively. They could do much worse.

Chris Davis has improved defensively almost more than with the bat. Watch his footwork in 2013. Truly remarkable how much it improved. He still is only an average fielder to me, but the footwork was way better.

Overall, this club will be strong defensively again if they head into the season with this core. Assuming Flaherty starts, they will have one of the better fielding infields in baseball, although they will NOT have the best range defensively. Lough is a huge upgrade defensively, but Jones and Markakis are not stars defensively. Although Jones is not as bad as some make him out to be...just inconsistent. He probably does not deserve gold gloves, but he is not a "bad" defender as I sometimes see people say.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » December 30th, 2013, 11:43 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Nick Markakis has surely seen a regression in defensive ability. He is clearly not as agile, and there is a lack of burst of speed from him. However, he still is at least average out there, and the arm is still solid-average at worst. Hard for me to be worried about him out there defensively. They could do much worse.

Chris Davis has improved defensively almost more than with the bat. Watch his footwork in 2013. Truly remarkable how much it improved. He still is only an average fielder to me, but the footwork was way better.

Overall, this club will be strong defensively again if they head into the season with this core. Assuming Flaherty starts, they will have one of the better fielding infields in baseball, although they will NOT have the best range defensively. Lough is a huge upgrade defensively, but Jones and Markakis are not stars defensively. Although Jones is not as bad as some make him out to be...just inconsistent. He probably does not deserve gold gloves, but he is not a "bad" defender as I sometimes see people say.

But to say they are pretty terrible is not the case. Are there better 1st baseman and right fielders? Sure, but they are still good at their positions.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by osforlife » December 30th, 2013, 12:38 pm

I'm not heavily into defensive metrics, at least not yet. I use my eyes, just like everybody else. After using the eye test, I look at baseball-reference's defensive wins above replacement statistic to justify my eye sight. If I remember correctly, it's a combination of total runs saved and total zone rating. It's most likely not a perfect stat, but it puts defensive value into one simple number. But, I also believe that just because a fielder makes the plays he gets to, doesn't mean he's a good fielder.

Regarding Nick Markakis, his foot speed and arm strength have really regressed in the past few years. Compared to Adam Jones and Nate McLouth last year, it seemed like Nick was almost in slow motion. He has spit out a -1.2 and -1.3 dWAR the last two years, respectively, which is awful.

I think Chris Davis made significant improvements to his defensive game, but he is still bad. The range, IMO, is terrible. He produced a -1.6dWAR last year.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » December 30th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Oh well, thanks for pointing out their faults.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 31st, 2013, 11:50 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Oh well, thanks for pointing out their faults.

...and thanks for respecting others' opinions.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » December 31st, 2013, 4:36 pm

ofahn wrote:...and thanks for respecting others' opinions.

I was respectful. I just don't agree with his opinion. I've moved on.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles