Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Claim Liam Hendriks

Orioles Claim Liam Hendriks

PostPost #1 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2013, 4:05 pm

The Orioles announced that they have claimed right-hander Liam Hendriks of waivers from the Cubs. The Cubs claimed Hendriks just days prior after he was designated for assignment by the Twins to make room for Phil Hughes on the 40-man roster.

The soon-to-be 25-year-old ranked sixth and seventh on the Baseball America's Top 10 Twins prospects lists from 2010-11 and has a solid minor league history. The Australian righty has a 3.61 ERA with 6.2 K/9 and 1.8 BB/9 in 254 career innings at Triple-A and a career 2.99 ERA in the minors as a whole.

Hendriks has been unable to put it together in three Major League stints, however, as evidenced by his bloated 6.06 ERA in 156 innings. He's averaged 5.8 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9 in those 156 frames to go along with a below-average 40.4 percent ground-ball rate. Hendriks barely averages better than 90 mph on his fastball, leading to too much hard contact when it's in the zone, as evidenced by a 23.3 percent line-drive rate from his opponents that has helped bloat his career BABIP to .330.

After claiming Hendriks, the Orioles now have 39 players on their 40-man roster.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... ivers.html

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/o ... driks.html
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Claim Liam Hendriks

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2013, 5:36 pm

Why would you sign this guy to a major league deal? This is really gotten out of hand. I'm beyond comprehending a move like this.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2013, 6:45 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Why would you sign this guy to a major league deal? This is really gotten out of hand. I'm beyond comprehending a move like this.

He's got options left. I doubt he makes the major league roster.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » December 23rd, 2013, 7:03 pm

osforlife wrote:He's got options left. I doubt he makes the major league roster.

He's on the 40 man roster and now they only have one opening left. That's why I said minor league deal.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » December 23rd, 2013, 8:06 pm

They received him essentially for free. He has options left. They have experience with him already with the Perth Heat. It makes a lot of sense. And they can cut him if necessary. It never hurts to claim someone for free that could provide depth.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #6 by thezeroes » December 23rd, 2013, 9:51 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:He's on the 40 man roster and now they only have one opening left. That's why I said minor league deal.

You do know how waivers work?? If not, here is a quick primer on the waiver process.

When a team has a player on the forty man roster and wants to remove them, they place this player on waivers. When the player is on waivers he is subject to getting claimed by any of the other 29 MLB ball clubs for a waiver fee. The claiming team must place him on their forty man roster. If this player clears waivers he can then be assigned to a MiLB affiliate.

Once a player is removed from the forty through the waiver process he must have his status changed again and placed on the forty to be eligible for the Twenty-Five. A player only has to go through this waiver process once. If the player clears the waiver and assigned to the minors and then again placed on the forty he can elect to be a free agent the next time he is run through the waiver process and clears. This is when you hear that a player has refused his assignment and elected to become a free agent.
Another small caveat of the process is that a Rule 5 player that is returned to their original team has to clear this waiver process before being returned. Because they have gone through the process and removed from a Forty/Twenty-Five man roster they have their one and only waiver turn made and once their original team brings them back up to the Forty they can elect the free agency thing when they are waived again by the parent club. We currently have Steve Johnson in this plateau of being waived.

There different types of waivers but I will not get into them at this time. I should also point out that this is different than "Having Options". Options are used to move players back and forth from the Twenty-Five to the Forty without having to put them through waivers. Once these options are used up, the players must be placed through waivers to send him to the Minors from the Twenty-Five man roster. The same waiver rules apply to this player without options a far as refusing assignment and becoming a free agent.

I feel I got this explanation correct. If not please feel free to correct my errors.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 24th, 2013, 11:05 am

thezeroes wrote:You do know how waivers work?? If not, here is a quick primer on the waiver process.

You make a valid point, but it's not like we're committed to carrying him on the 40 Man Roster through ST. If a better player comes along we can always DFA him and hope he clears waivers.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by thezeroes » December 24th, 2013, 2:44 pm

ofahn wrote:You make a valid point, but it's not like we're committed to carrying him on the 40 Man Roster through ST. If a better player comes along we can always DFA him and hope he clears waivers.

I had thought it best to explain the waiver process because this act was looked at as if this was a free agent signing. With waiver claims from a forty man roster players need to be kept on a forty man roster and would have to again go through the waiver process to be sent down. With Liam having options remaining, I think any of the players that do not may be first on the list for the waiver process. I look at waiver claims as a cash trade and they cost you very little except if they have a high end contract in hand and are to be DFA'd.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 31st, 2013, 11:17 am

thezeroes wrote:I had thought it best to explain the waiver process because this act was looked at as if this was a free agent signing.

I agree. I was just pointing out our options to a certain individual that can be argumentative and very pessimistic.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » December 31st, 2013, 4:33 pm

ofahn wrote:I agree. I was just pointing out our options to a certain individual that can be argumentative and very pessimistic.

Happy New Year to you too................................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles