Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Looking At Some Potentially Available Left Handed Hitters

Looking At Some Potentially Available Left Handed Hitters

PostPost #1 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2013, 10:16 am

Prior to the David Lough trade, the Orioles had two players that could only hit effectively against left handed pitchers. Danny Valencia and Steve Pearce figured to be a part of a designated hitter and a left field platoon, respectively. However, trading Danny Valencia for David Lough gives Baltimore one less platoon player, and one more full-time player. Pearce will not be needed in the outfield anymore, at least not unless there's an injury. But, he presumably still could transition into Valencia's old role as the right handed complement to the designated hitter position. Obviously things can change, but signing Kendry Morales or trading for Billy Butler seems unlikely. As for now, Pearce needs to be paired with a left handed complement that can really only be found on the trade market, with the exception of Wilson Betemit and Chris Coghlan. Here are some expendable trade candidates thorough the MLB;

The Better Fits

1. Brett Wallace- With Jonathan Singleton creeping to the majors, Matt Dominguez holding down third, the new presence of Jesus Guzman, and the continued presence of Chris Carter, it’s only a matter of time until Wallace is thrown out of Houston’s plans. The former first round pick is losing his chance to play with the Astros. Although failing expectations, he has managed to stay about average against right handers, hitting .249/.324/.413/.737 against them. That batting line comes with potential upside too.

2. Adam Lind- Lind’s name has bounced around as a trade candidate every once in a while this off-season, although it appears he has a role at first base and/or designated hitter. Anyway, Lind is one year away from free agency, and hits right handed pitching to an outstanding .286/.343/.508/.850.

3. Taylor Green- One of the Brewer’s underwhelming in-house options at first base, the left-handed corner infielder missed all of the 2013 season due to injury. With Juan Francisco, Hunter Morris, and Sean Halton to compete with, and no designated hitter position, Green may not have the chance to show off his bat in the majors. Although unproven and inexperienced in the majors, Green has hit to a .900 OPS in the Pacific Coast League.

4.Andre Ethier- The Dodgers’ outfield has been prone to much trade speculation ever since Yasiel Puig’s emergence in the majors. Although Ethier contains a massive contract, Baltimore may not have to give up too much prospect wise if they were to eat the money. From statistics alone, Ethier seems like an identical copy of Nick Markakis, and is definitely the best player on this list.

5. Justin Smoak- Another former first round pick in Seattle on this list, Smoak’s role on the team has come into question with the new faces signing with Mariners. The center piece of Seattle’s 2010 Cliff Lee trade, Smoak has been unable to put it together at the major league level. Although his total batting line looks bad, keep in mind that Smoak hits better against right handed pitchers and hits better away from Safeco Park. Add that to the potential upside, and Baltimore may be looking at an expendable attractive piece.

6. Ike Davis- Subject to trade rumors all off-season, the Mets are clearly shopping Davis in favor of Lucas Duda. One of the better players on this list, Davis comes with significant potential upside, and has already shown the ability to hit right handed pitchers. The 26 year old contains a solid .256/.356/.471/.827 batting line against right handed pitchers. The Mets have stated that they want a return similar to that of the Marlins’ Logan Morrison trade, in which Seattle gave away young reliever Carter Capps.

7. Chris Parmelee- The former first round pick has failed to produce in Minnesota. The first baseman and corner outfielder appears to be running out of chances with the twins. His struggles can be partly due to his atrocious production against southpaws, as he has kept an average .252/.327/.410/.737 batting line against right handed pitchers.

8. Conor Gillaspie- The Whitesox seem to have found their third baseman for the present and future in the newly acquired Matt Davidson. With Jeff Keppinger’s continued presence, Paul Konerko’s return, and Jose Abreu’s entrance, Gillespie should be available. He hit a .261/.324/.414/.738 batting line against right handed pitching in 2013.

The Imperfect Matches

1. Daric Barton- Although an on-base machine, Barton lacks in every other facet of his game. The first baseman has long been the odd-man out in Oakland, but may get a few at-bats at designated hitter, due to an outstanding September. However, even if Barton was available, he surprisingly hits left handed pitchers significantly better than he hits right handed pitchers. There isn't really a fit here.

2. Daniel Descalso- After watching Johnny Peralta and Mark Ellis sign with the Cardinals, Descalso may have seen any chance he had at semi-regular at-bats diminish. With the surplus of infielders in St. Louis, Descalso may be deemed available. This light-hitting flexible infielder is hits left handed pitching and right handed pitching nearly the same, so Descalso doesn’t really fill the specific hole.

3. Dustin Ackley- Seattle’s recent splurge into outside position player markets may have just booted the former first round pick out of the Mariner’s plans. The super utility may not be able to get consistent at-bats with Corey Hart, Logan Morrison, Robinson Cano, and Franklin Gutierrez added into the mix. Any team would love to have Ackley, but he fills a want rather than a need in Baltimore, as he hits left handed pitching and right handed pitching practically the same.

4. Mike Carp- Nearly putting up a .900 OPS in 2013 with the Redsox, Carp has bounced back from an ugly 2012. However, even after rejuvenating his career, it still appears Carp is not in line for regular at-bats in Boston, as he has David Ortiz, Mike Napoli, Daniel Nava, and Jonny Gomes to compete with. Carp hits left handed pitchers slightly better than he hits right handed pitchers, so he isn’t the best economical choice.

5. Alejandro De Aza- Chicago’s acquisition of Adam Eaton most likely will make De Aza transition away from center field, at least for the Whitesox. Even if De Aza had a better split against right handed pitchers, he likely can just fill a corner outfield spot in the Windy City.

6. Marc Krauss- Likely an unknown to most fans around the league, Krauss debuted with the Astros in June of last year. Although failing to impress in the majors, the left handed hitting outfielder has been an on-base machine with power in the minors. Although he may begin the year in Oklahoma City, Krauss likely has a place in Houston’s future.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Looking At Some Potentially Available Left Handed Hitters

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 24th, 2013, 10:53 am

osforlife wrote: Adam Lind- Lind’s name has bounced around as a trade candidate every once in a while this off-season, although it appears he has a role at first base and/or designated hitter. Anyway, Lind is one year away from free agency, and hits right handed pitching to an outstanding .286/.343/.508/.850.

Andre Ethier- The Dodgers’ outfield has been prone to much trade speculation ever since Yasiel Puig’s emergence in the majors. Although Ethier contains a massive contract, Baltimore may not have to give up too much prospect wise if they were to eat the money. From statistics alone, Ethier seems like an identical copy of Nick Markakis, and is definitely the best player on this list.

Ike Davis- Subject to trade rumors all off-season, the Mets are clearly shopping Davis in favor of Lucas Duda. One of the better players on this list, Davis comes with significant potential upside, and has already shown the ability to hit right handed pitchers. The 26 year old contains a solid .256/.356/.471/.827 batting line against right handed pitchers. The Mets have stated that they want a return similar to that of the Marlins’ Logan Morrison trade, in which Seattle gave away young reliever Carter Capps.

First, I would like to commend you on this outstanding post. I don't always agree with your POV, but you constantly impress me with your research to validate your opinion. Simply, thank you. POINTS!

That being said, the only three on this list I would have an interest in I have quoted above. Acquiring each would be problematic, but none of them should require a talent return equal to the loss of a 1st rnd pick that Morales would.

IMO Lind would be the best fit because he would require just a one year commitment and a solid season on his part might allow us to make him a qualified offer equaling a draft pick if he leaves, but you have to wonder if Toronto would trade him within the division.

I agree Either is the best talent, but that contract could become an albatross on future teams. You could probably get the Dodgers to eat the 2017 salary and the buyout (20M total), but what would that raise the talent cost to be in a trade?

Would the Mets trade Davis for Britton or Matusz? If so, that seems like an equitable exchange.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » December 24th, 2013, 11:40 am

Sad to say, or maybe not. Our left handed hitter is already on the 40 man roster, Henry Urrutia. Here's hoping he can start turning on those fast balls. I just don't see them doing anything other than the way they have been filling the roster since Duquette came here.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by osforlife » December 24th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Sad to say, or maybe not. Our left handed hitter is already on the 40 man roster, Henry Urrutia. Here's hoping he can start turning on those fast balls. I just don't see them doing anything other than the way they have been filling the roster since Duquette came here.

I expect Urrutia to fill this role sooner or later. That being said, management seems intent on letting him groom in Norfolk, leaving the position vacant.

Would the Mets trade Davis for Britton or Matusz? If so, that seems like an equitable exchange.

I was about to suggest a Brian Matusz for Ike Davis trade. Three years of an unpredictable left handed complement for three years of a solid reliever. I'd throw in a C prospect from the lower minors too probably.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 24th, 2013, 1:03 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd throw in a C prospect from the lower minors too probably.

I don't know that something extra like that would be necessary on our part.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » December 27th, 2013, 1:23 pm

ofahn wrote:I don't know that something extra like that would be necessary on our part.

Looks like Ike Davis to the Orioles is a legitimate rumor, according to MLBTR. Sandy Alderson is asking for Eduardo Rodriguez, which is foolish. The Marlins received Carter Capps for Logan Morrison; a return for Ike Davis should be similar. Let's try Brian Matusz and Parker Bridwell for Ike Davis. I feel as if a straight up swap of Matusz for Davis won't be enough, considering Matusz's increasing payroll as a reliever, and his limited ceiling value. Brian's value should be around 1.0 WAR for the next three years, while Davis' value should be anywhere from 1-3.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 27th, 2013, 1:59 pm

osforlife wrote:I feel as if a straight up swap of Matusz for Davis won't be enough, considering Matusz's increasing payroll as a reliever, and his limited ceiling value. Brian's value should be around 1.0 WAR for the next three years, while Davis' value should be anywhere from 1-3.

If I were DD I would sell Matusz as a legit SP possibility that just needs a change of address. The Mets could afford to give him a chance in their rotation. IMO the FO would think twice about including Bridwell as a "throw in".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » December 27th, 2013, 3:42 pm

It's been reported that the Mets want Rodriquez for Ike Davis. It's clear they don't want Matusz.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by osforlife » December 27th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:It's been reported that the Mets want Rodriquez for Ike Davis. It's clear they don't want Matusz.

I'm not sure about that. It's clear they'd like a legit starting pitcher prospect, which they may not get. IMO, Brian Matusz and Parker Bridwell for Ike Davis a respectable trade for both sides.

ofahn wrote:If I were DD I would sell Matusz as a legit SP possibility that just needs a change of address. The Mets could afford to give him a chance in their rotation. IMO the FO would think twice about including Bridwell as a "throw in".

They could try. I'd rather give up Bridwell than Wright, Wilson, or Davies.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » December 27th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:It's been reported that the Mets want Rodriquez for Ike Davis. It's clear they don't want Matusz.

Then Ike Davis ISN'T coming to Baltimore.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » December 27th, 2013, 6:24 pm

osforlife wrote:They could try. I'd rather give up Bridwell than Wright, Wilson, or Davies.

Agreed, but we might be bidding against our-self to include him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » December 27th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Ike Davis's stats are in steady decline. Optioned to the minors for a month in 2013. Put on the 60 day DL in September.

The Mets are asking way to much for him. I wouldn't trade Matusz for him. Pass......................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by osforlife » December 27th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Ike Davis's stats are in steady decline. Optioned to the minors for a month in 2013. Put on the 60 day DL in September.

The Mets are asking way to much for him. I wouldn't trade Matusz for him. Pass......................

Those are good points, but there are also positives.
1. He's a former first round pick
2. He has shown he can keep the to a solid, but not spectacular level
3. He has always shown the ability to walk effectively
4. He has shown the ability to hit for monster power
5. He hit to a .954 OPS in the second half last year
6. He has always hit well against RHP
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » December 27th, 2013, 7:58 pm

I've also heard an interesting trade scenario from a random fan on MLBTR. Daniel Murphy and Ike Davis for JJ Hardy
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Seafordeagles » December 27th, 2013, 9:45 pm

osforlife wrote:Those are good points, but there are also positives.
1. He's a former first round pick
2. He has shown he can keep the to a solid, but not spectacular level
3. He has always shown the ability to walk effectively
4. He has shown the ability to hit for monster power
5. He hit to a .954 OPS in the second half last year
6. He has always hit well against RHP

Billy Rowell was a former first round pick as well.

His ops and obp have been going down at a solid rate. His batting average in 2012 was real close to the Mendoza line. He strikes out a lot. He's a left handed hitting 1st baseman. Last time I looked we had the best 1st baseman in baseball in 2013, who also bats left handed.

If you want this guy to platoon at DH then he is not worth what they are asking..
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles