Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

A Season with Ryan Flaherty Starting

A Season with Ryan Flaherty Starting

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » December 17th, 2013, 8:54 am

I tried my best to walk everyone off the ledge.
http://bit.ly/1hgss8r
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: A Season with Ryan Flaherty Starting

PostPost #2 by AlexConway » December 17th, 2013, 11:13 am

I expected Roberts to return, I didn't want him to though. I like Flaherty and I especially like his defense. The numbers back up the eye test with him on defense. I don't remember too many balls getting by him last year when he was playing 2B. At the plate, he leaves something to be desired, but the talent is there. Whether or not he can turn that talent into skills/results remains to be seen. Some of the projection systems out there project him to be a 2 WAR player, that's great value.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 17th, 2013, 2:40 pm

AlexConway wrote:I like Flaherty and I especially like his defense.

Agreed.

If Mike Bordick thinks this kid is special that's good enough for me. Let's give him at least 500 ABs and see what he can do.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 17th, 2013, 2:47 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I tried my best to walk everyone off the ledge.
http://bit.ly/1hgss8r

When I first saw the title of this post I thought "if he can just raise his OBP he's could be an above average 2B". Then I smiled when I read your similar thoughts in your piece.

IMO the bat at 2B is not going make or break us in 2014. If we can average a .780 or better OPS out of C, RF, LF, and DH combined we'll be just fine.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by LA Detective » December 19th, 2013, 3:26 pm

ofahn wrote:IMO the bat at 2B is not going make or break us in 2014. If we can average a .780 or better OPS out of C, RF, LF, and DH combined we'll be just fine.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ryan F put up a .780 OPS. His May 29th and on return from the minors showed the possibility. At least from the left side if not total. Weeks could platoon here and would bring that OPS down but would add some speed the days he is in there.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by osforlife » December 20th, 2013, 9:59 pm

First of all, I'd to like to thank Brian Roberts for all the years he's spent on the Orioles. Growing up and watching him, I saw a leader who never complained about being on a losing team. He was of my favorite players and role models. I was completely devastated when I found out Roberts failed a PED test. But, I do believe in giving people second chances, so I did. All he wanted to do was win in Baltimore. It will stink having to see him play for the Yankees. But, he obviously saw a better opportunity there than he did here, and I wish him luck. Thanks Brian, it's been a fun thirteen years.

Second, it really bothers me for than anything that Flaherty has succeeded at every minor league level except AAA. It just bugs me to death when players haven't completed their path to the majors, and get promoted early. I think I have an organizational problem. I know he shouldn't really go back down to the minors at this point, but I want to see what he can do with consistent at-bats, which he hasn't gotten the last two years with Baltimore.

Third, maybe it's just because I'm in love with the Tampa Bay Rays, but I really would like to see Ryan Flaherty become Ben Zobrist 2.0. I feel like somebody with this much versatility, would be limited playing one position. Keep the starters fresh, let Flaherty play everyday rotating between 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, RF, and DH.

Fourth, I hope he is not expected to hit LHP. Although a small sample size, he doesn't have encouraging splits against southpaws. Plus, Buck has exclusively avoided Ryan from hitting against same-side pitchers. Ivan De Jesus was brought in a minor league deal the other day, and he is a right-handed-hitting second baseman; platoon perhaps?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by dan72 » December 22nd, 2013, 1:45 pm

I think offensively he will be better than league average at 2b. I also like the fac that he can play almost every where in the field if need be. I'm sure Buck values his versatility as well.
He is not a defensive wizard but he should not hurt us either. In the past we have seen him go through droughts at the plate which I contribute to his lack playing time.
I feel like he will be a .240 ish hitter with 15-20 homers and maybe a low .300 obp.... if he gets adequate playing time.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » December 22nd, 2013, 2:08 pm

I personally think he needs to be part of a platoon at 2nd base. I just don't see him hitting left handers with any consistency.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 8:30 am

LA Detective wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if Ryan F put up a .780 OPS

Agreed.

In fact, if he produced that with his plus defense he should be considered a legit All Star.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 8:33 am

dan72 wrote:He is not a defensive wizard but he should not hurt us either.

I think he's better than you give him credit for. He's not flashy, but his range is above average and he's VERY smooth with his mechanics. I'm willing to bet he'll be rated as PLUS at 2B by the end of the year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles